InaS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Vendor

Meet a Connect Moderator: Penny

Caption: A photo of Penny smiling for the camera and an illustration with the words “Penny Christie,” the Local Guides pin, an email, a light bulb, a globe, a notebook, a magnifying glass, and a camera against a green background.Caption: A photo of Penny smiling for the camera and an illustration with the words “Penny Christie,” the Local Guides pin, an email, a light bulb, a globe, a notebook, a magnifying glass, and a camera against a green background.

Connect Moderators are Local Guides just like you and me. They apply the knowledge they’ve gained as active members of our community to moderate Connect and help improve the experience for everyone. You may see them welcoming newcomers, explaining the program, answering questions, and sharing their knowledge with others.

Each month, we share some personal insights from one of our amazing Connect Moderators. This month, meet Penny (@PennyChristie). Penny lives in Sydney, Australia, and speaks Greek and English.

Name: Penny Christie (My first name is actually Penelope)

Caption: A photo of Penny holding a Local Guides flag and a cape with the Local Guides pin and posing in front of the Sydney Opera House. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny holding a Local Guides flag and a cape with the Local Guides pin and posing in front of the Sydney Opera House. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)

What I love about being a Local Guide: I love being a Local Guide because it has allowed me to use my photos for a good reason. I contribute photos on Google Maps because it helps people to see what a place looks like from the point of view of a real person. I like to contribute to lots of different types of places during my everyday life activities, especially looking for accessible entrances and spaces. The most amazing reward of being a Local Guide is meeting like-minded people from all over the world through Connect. All of a sudden, the world is a much smaller place.

Why I’m a Connect Moderator: Becoming a Connect Moderator is a true honor. I love connecting and interacting with fellow Local Guides. I especially love helping people learn new things through technology. I am often giving people step by step lessons on how to do different things in various apps and platforms. My friends call it, "Lessons with Penny," hahaha. 

Caption: A photo of Penny sitting next to a fountain in front of the Washington Square Arch in New York City. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny sitting next to a fountain in front of the Washington Square Arch in New York City. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)

My favorite things to explore: My favorite things to explore are art galleries and museums. You can learn so much about a place through art and history. I can walk through these spaces all day. As soon as I book a trip to a new country or city, the first things I research on Google Maps are the art galleries and museums. I then create a list and make an itinerary according to my research. I studied art and design at university when I was younger, and art makes me feel peaceful and happy.

Caption: A photo of Penny holding a colorful umbrella and standing behind a Google sign at Connect Live 2019. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny holding a colorful umbrella and standing behind a Google sign at Connect Live 2019. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)

My favorite type of contribution(s) to make on Google Maps: I like to contribute absolutely everything on Google Maps. I take photos of almost every place I visit throughout my day, and then, using my Timeline, I go back to see where I have been and upload my photos and leave a review. I have contributed to a lot of restaurants, parks, shops, and indoor and outdoor public spaces. Videos are also a cool contribution I like to add. Videos can show you the vibe of a place and give you a sense of what it actually sounds and feels like, which I think is pretty awesome because you don't always get that from photos.

Caption: A photo of Penny sitting on a red sofa holding a pillow and pointing at the letters Google on a wall. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny sitting on a red sofa holding a pillow and pointing at the letters Google on a wall. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)

Languages I read/speak/write fluently: English and Greek. I was born in Australia, and my everyday language is English. However, both of my parents are migrants from Cyprus, and the first language I spoke was Greek with a Cypriot dialect. I actually went to school when I was five, and I couldn't speak English. I quickly learned, but I also continued learning to read and write at Greek school, which means I can speak, read, and write in both languages.

Caption: A photo of Penny posing in front of a big screen with the text “Google Local Guides, Connect Live 2019” on it. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny posing in front of a big screen with the text “Google Local Guides, Connect Live 2019” on it. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PennyChristie)

Places I’d like to visit: I have a bucket list of places I would like to visit one day soon. Some of these amazing places are Petra and the Dead Sea in Jordan, Machu Picchu in Peru, and the Northern Lights in Reykjavík, Iceland. I would also love to visit all of the different Disneyland Parks around the world. That would be a dream come true.

Fun facts about me: I have traveled to 32 countries so far and 13 states in the USA, and I love to collect "little" things, souvenirs and pins, from all the different places I visit.

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know @PennyChristie. Say hi or ask her a question below as she has a lot to share about Google Maps and Connect.

Interested in becoming a Connect Moderator? Learn more here.

Want to learn about other Connect Moderators?

Learn more about Alexandre in September 2020

Learn more about Shafiul in August 2020

Learn more about Jane in July 2020

Learn more about Luigi in June 2020

Learn more about Julien in May 2020

Learn more about Jan in April 2020

Learn more about Emeka in March 2020

Learn more about Omer in February 2020

Learn more about Sumaiya in January 2020

Learn more about Steve in December 2019

Learn more about Jordan in November 2019

Learn more about Torben in October 2019

Learn more about Hiroyuki in September 2019

Learn more about Jesi in August 2019

Learn more about Alejandra in June 2019 

Learn more about Adrian in May 2019 

Learn more about Gregg in January 2019

Learn more about Stephen in November 2018

Learn more about Paul in October 2018

Learn more about Sonia in August 2018

Learn more about Nunung in July 2018

Learn more about Shirley in June 2018

Learn more about Farid in April 2018

Learn more about Ludwig in March 2018

Learn more about Karen in February 2018

Learn more about Ivan in January 2018

Learn more about Ermes in December 2017

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Sydney NSW, Australia
110 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet a Connect Moderator: Penny

Woo @PennyChristie hugs to you awesome person from Sydney!!!

Paul

Connect Moderator

Betreff: Meet a Connect Moderator: Penny

Thanks @PennyChristie for your wonderful introduction.

Greetings from Germany 

Ludwig.

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Connect Moderator

Wow! Thank you for this post @InaS 

I am honoured and so happy to be a Local Guide and Connect Moderator. I’m jumping for joy 🤩

Connect Moderator

Awesome introduction along with the beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing @InaS 

We share the same dreams @PennyChristie 

I would love to visit the Disneyland Park all over the world. And last but not the least, I also like to collect "little" thing, such as refrigerator magnets when I visit different places.

Big hugs and high five 🤗🙌🏻

Connect Moderator

Thank you @InaS for highlight of @PennyChristie .

Pennyyyyy  oh my God big hug for you ,, I my first time I know you , because familiar with your smile when I received email for applying connect live 2019 and you featured and yes I'm applying and BOOOM I'm selected and meet you in real life ,, that's awesome moment . 

Thank you so much penny 

DSC_0809.jpg

taking selfie with  penny

Connect Moderator
Connect Moderator

Thanks @InaS for introducing our new moderator. 

She is very kind person and always ready to help our community 🙏.

Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉  @PennyChristie 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

Wow we have so much in common @Velvel Maybe we can meet at Disneyland one day and buy some cute little magnets together. Sounds like a great plan to me 😊

Level 10

Thanks for sharing @InaS 

I enjoyed reading this post but I enjoyed even more learning some more about you @PennyChristie 

Like you, Petra is one of these places I would love to visit and I also bring back little souvenirs usually magnet when we travel.

The funny thing is that I didn't know that your first name is Penelope. 

Have a lovely day or evening !