PennyChristie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The most interesting thing I've done as a Local Guide

Local Guide Penny Christie standing in front of the new Google Maps logo, holding a Local Guides flag and logo and wearing an orange Local Guides hat, at Google Headquarters in Sydney during Google Maps 15th Birthday Media conference.Local Guide Penny Christie standing in front of the new Google Maps logo, holding a Local Guides flag and logo and wearing an orange Local Guides hat, at Google Headquarters in Sydney during Google Maps 15th Birthday Media conference.

🎈 Happy 15th Birthday Google Maps

The most interesting thing I have done as a Local Guide was celebrating Google Maps' 15th birthday in February 2020.  One of my bucket list items was to present in front of an audience and talk about a subject I am passionate about and proud of.  Being a Local Guide made this bucket list dream come true during Google Maps' 15th Birthday celebrations.  I am always happy talking about the Local Guides program and why I contribute to Google Maps as well as my involvement in the world wide global Local Guides community.  I have made amazing life long friendships with fellow Local Guides and Googlers from all over the world after being invited to Connect Live in 2018 and 2019.  When I am unable to see them in person, I connect with them online or via video chats which is always so much fun.

I was so surprised and very happy to be invited to the birthplace of Google Maps in Sydney to speak about myself and why I contribute to Google Maps to the Australian media. 

Local Guide Penny Christie presenting to the Australian media during Google Maps 15th Birthday.Local Guide Penny Christie presenting to the Australian media during Google Maps 15th Birthday.

I was even more surprised when I found out I was presenting with living legend and co-founder and software engineer of Google Maps, Mr Noel Gordon who is an Australian treasure and is even in the Australian Museum guys!!  That is so cool!

Local Guide Penny Christie and co-founder and software engineer of Google Maps, Noel Gordon sitting in front of the new Google Maps logo during Google Maps 15 birthday media conference at Google HQ in Sydney.Local Guide Penny Christie and co-founder and software engineer of Google Maps, Noel Gordon sitting in front of the new Google Maps logo during Google Maps 15 birthday media conference at Google HQ in Sydney.

During the media conference, we crossed live to Google Headquarters in Mountain View California to speak with Dane Glasgow, VP Product Expert.  Dane gave us some very interesting facts and numbers of the amount of contributions by Local Guides all over the world on Google Maps every single day.  Did you know there are more than 120 million Local Guides contributing over 20 million times a day!  That's amazing!

A photo of a video conference call with Dane Glasgow, VP Product Expert in Google HQ Mountain View California USA.A photo of a video conference call with Dane Glasgow, VP Product Expert in Google HQ Mountain View California USA.

After presenting to the media, I was also invited to Surry Hills in Sydney to chat to more media in a more casual setting during a very fancy and delicious lunch.  They were all interested in becoming Local Guides and signed up on the spot adding their first review and photos of the day.

Here are some photos and videos taken on the day. 

And here is one of the articles featuring me. 

This was definitely the most interesting thing I've done as a Local Guide. 

🎉Hip Hip Hooray! Happy 15th Birthday Google Maps.

#googlemaps15 🥳

Here is my Connect Live 2020 application video

Here is a list I created to help you enjoy some amazing places for Brunch and Beach Views in Sydney's beautiful Eastern Suburbs.

If you are ever in Sydney, let me know, so I can organise a Local Guides Meet Up.

Google Sydney, Pirrama Road, Sydney NSW, Australia
17 comments
Level 9

Re: The most interesting thing I've done as a Local Guide

Hello @PennyChristie 

Aweome post, I really like to read your experience from Google Headquarter, Sydney. I also watch your application video (literally fabulous).

Keep sharing the lovely feeds, Good luck for Connect Live 2020 application.

Good wishes from India.

Connect Moderator

Level 9

Level 10

Great Post Penny! ❤️
I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm super happy for you that you had such an amazing opportunity! 
I'm sure you had a great time and were fabulous!
Xx

Level 10

Hi @PennyChristie 

That is a good post and very original. Lucky you !

Wishing you all the best for your application adn hopefully we will meet again (I would love to share again meetup, drinks and fun with you).

You are a very nice person!

I hope all is fine for you and your lovely family. 

Take care

Julien 

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Thank you my friend @Julien44 

I hope we can meet up again for drinks and fun one day very soon. Stay safe and healthy. 

Level 9

@PennyChristie  it was amazing meeting you last year and wish to meet you again, wish you all the best 🙂

Connect Moderator