Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet a Connect Moderator: Paul

Connect Moderators are Local Guides just like you and me. They apply the knowledge they’ve gained as active members of our community to moderate Connect and help improve the experience for everyone. You may see them welcoming newcomers, explaining the program, answering questions, and sharing their knowledge with others.

Each month, we share some personal insights from one of our amazing Connect Moderators. This month, meet @PaulPavlinovich. For Paul, being a Local Guide is all about the community. By nature, he is an introvert, but the Local Guides program allows him to connect with other people both locally and globally, online and offline. Paul loves to help others as a Connect Moderator and through his contributions on Google Maps.

Caption: A photo of Paul next to his friend, Monkey. (Local Guide @PaulPavlinovich)Caption: A photo of Paul next to his friend, Monkey. (Local Guide @PaulPavlinovich)

Name: Paul Pavlinovich

What I love about being a Local Guide: Life is about community. I really enjoy sharing my reviews and food images to reward good service and great food. It is so valuable when looking for a place to eat to see what other people think of it, and it’s rewarding to contribute to that pool of local knowledge. Organizing meet-ups is a great way to find like-minded local people and to socialize with them for fun and for the benefit of Maps. Most of my local photography community members have crossed over into the world of Maps and are strong contributors of quality images. Better yet, in the past I organized all of the meet-ups in my community, but now there are other Local Guides doing them too, which means I get to go along as a follower instead of a leader. Local Guides also allows me to contribute to a global community. My own annual 36 Walk—an activity designed to improve the quality of people’s photography—started out as just a Melbourne thing, but thanks to Local Guides, it now runs in cities all over the world. This year, I’ve taken part in other global meet-ups for greening and cleaning the world.

Why I'm a Connect Moderator: Moderating on Connect allows me to help guide and shape the diverse, inclusive future of Connect while keeping Connect tidy and spam-free. When Local Guides ask for help, we’ve got an opportunity to educate them and improve the quality of their contributions. It’s great to be able to give a community viewpoint to the Googlers who run Local Guides during the monthly Hangout-based video discussions for Connect Moderators.

My favorite things to explore: I love to explore abandoned industrial architecture. There is something fascinating about seeing and touching the silent old equipment. I like to revisit places and see them reclaimed by nature. Google Maps is quite handy to find places like this and, from time to time, I’ll get a clue to an area then start scanning Maps’ satellite images to locate the site and work out how I’m going to get there. It’s unusual for me to plan out where I’m going to eat when I go someplace, so quite often when I’m hungry I just open up the Google Maps app and [look for] food near me. This encourages me to try new places and step outside my comfort zone. From time to time, I’ll notice that there is something nearby that is not represented on Maps. I’ll always add it and, if it looks good, I’ll go in and experience it to share the place’s first review and photos.

My favorite type of contribution(s) to make on Google Maps: I really enjoy adding new places to Maps. I also enjoy improving Maps in small towns, many of which don’t have Local Guides of their own, but when the locals suddenly see new photos and up-to-date information, they get interested in doing it themselves.

Languages I read/write/speak fluently: I only speak English and rely on Google Translate to help me with other language posts.

Places I'd like to visit: I am fascinated with Alaska in winter. I really have no idea why, but it’s something I’ve wanted to experience for a long time. I’d love to go there and simply live in a winter cabin with a giant fire for a month.

Fun fact about me: Despite my organizing public events and often speaking in public, I’m an introvert, which means it takes a lot of energy to do what I do because I have to overcome my fears every time. Occasionally I go out into the bush (a rural area) or down to the ocean and spend a week or so with nature making photos. During that time I may not speak to anyone. This gives me a chance to recharge.

Caption: A photo of Paul wearing a hat and sunglasses next to a wood carving of a man that looks like Paul (Local Guide @PaulPavlinovich)Caption: A photo of Paul wearing a hat and sunglasses next to a wood carving of a man that looks like Paul (Local Guide @PaulPavlinovich)

----------------------------------

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know @PaulPavlinovich. Say hi or ask him a question below as he has a lot to share about Google Maps and Connect.

Interested in becoming a Connect Moderator? Learn more here.

Want to learn about other Connect Moderators?
Learn more about SampsonF - September 2018

Learn more about Sonia - August 2018

Learn more about Nunung - July 2018

Learn more about Shirley - June 2018

Learn more about Farid - April 2018

Learn more about Ludwig - March 2018

Learn more about Karen - February 2018

Learn more about Ivan - January 2018

Learn more about Ermes - December 2017

Melbourne VIC, Australia
26 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet a Connect Moderator: Paul

You are one of the kindest people I ever meet (unfortunately not in person) @PaulPavlinovich

I love your photos and your energy 🙂 Thanks @Atsukot for featuring him and thanks the team all for the wise choice of Paul as Connect Moderator 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Loved reading more about you, @PaulPavlinovich! I often hear about this "recharging" thing that introverts do, but I'm such an extrovert that I don't know what to do with myself when it's quiet. Thank you for everything you do for the community--both Local Guides and beyond!

Level 10

Rif.: Meet a Connect Moderator: Paul

Hi @PaulPavlinovich  !

Glad to ear your story, and I admire how you manage to maintain both your introvert and the desire to speak in public !! I think that in life there is need of both situations, and each one has its weight!

Ps: I really loved your light-painting photos!!

Bye,

David

Connect Moderator

Yay, @PaulPavlinovich! Happy to see you featured, friend, and enjoyed learning more about you. Will be seeing you soon!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 6

Good Morning @PaulPavlinovich! (I believe it's around 3am in Victoria, Austrailia)

Thank you for sharing more about yourself! I also really love exploring abandoned properties and machinery, but a good amount of the time I'm too afraid to actually go into them as they could fall at anytime. I recently came to the realization that I really am also an introvert. I do like to socialize, but it takes so much out of me. I find myself needing to take some time away just to make myself whole once again. 

If you ever get a chance to see a kangaroo or Koala in the wild, take a picture and share it for me!

AJ

Level 9

an introvert , an extrovert ... you are one of us and we are proud of you @PaulPavlinovich  beardos captain 🙂

Connect Moderator

That's great to read about inspiring personality of @PaulPavlinovich However, unfortunately I couldn't join your '36 walk' this year. I was looking forward, impatiently, to CL2018's 36 walk but due to visa problem I couldn't attend that summit. 

But I'm  really positive and enthusiastic  that some day I may get another chance to participate with you in this wonderful walk.

Special thanks to @Atsukot for sharing new facts about Paul, which can help me to improve  and become a better local guide for you all. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

I'll reply to everyone when I'm back home. Right now I'm in a tiny mobile screen in New York (actually New Jersey, so much more affordable accommodation over here and only a quick commute over to The Big Apple. It's 11.34pm and I've got to be up early tomorrow to continue my adventures. I'll be doing a round-up post after I'm home. Fortunately I've got Maps Timeline (which I make sure is right at the end of each day) and my geotagged images to remind me.

@KashifMisidia we'll be going live on You Tube under my profile a few times during the Connect Live 36 Walk. Sad you couldn't come in person but at least you can see a bit of it.

Level 8

Hello @PaulPavlinovich It was interesting to learn more about you. Thank you for sharing with us your battles with public meetings and speaking in public. It is good for other people to hear this and be inspire by you. I myself battle anxiety  and the fear of having panic attacks every day, it takes a lot of energy to put an the pretence each day of being a happy go lucky extrovert, exhausting! It must be amazing though to escape to the bush and relax for a while and be able to switch off for a bit.  It is mental health week so a good time for us all to take some time for mindfulness. I wish you continued success and enjoyment in your local guide work that you do. Have a good day.