PennyChristie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Surprised by Accessibility

NOT MY PHOTO. Liberty Wheelchair Swing - designed and manufactured in Australia. Photo used as a reference only. Taken from Assistive Technology Australia websiteNOT MY PHOTO. Liberty Wheelchair Swing - designed and manufactured in Australia. Photo used as a reference only. Taken from Assistive Technology Australia website

NOT MY PHOTO

Liberty Wheelchair Swing - designed and manufactured in Australia.

Photo used as a reference only. Taken from Assistive Technology Australia website.

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

In the month of October, we are focusing on something or someplace that surprised you in terms of inclusive features. Something innovative and out of this world perhaps.  Something that surprised me many years ago was in a local park near my home.  I noticed a new feature being installed along with the other play equipment.  Upon closer inspection, I realised it was a special swing for wheelchairs. This made me so happy because swinging at the park was one of my most favourite activities as a child.  I was so happy knowing that children in wheelchairs can experience that same joy.

According to Local Guides on Google Maps, Sydney has a few of these swings scattered around the city and surrounding suburbs.  One close to me is in Centennial Parklands which has a wheelchair swing at the Centennial Playground Paddington Gates

The Liberty Swing, which I have pictured above, was designed and manufactured in Australia in 2000 and placed in parks around Australia. However, more was need to be done to make everyone feel equal and included in the park.

These days, parks are being designed to be more inclusive to everyone's needs, young and old, and you will find a lot more variety of inclusive play equipment for all ages.  

Here are a couple of awesome websites which give you some information about these inclusive parks and where to find them.

Inclusive playground designs go beyond wheelchair swings so everyone can play 

ENDEAVOUR PARK – ACCESSIBLE PLAYGROUND SYDNEY 

Have Wheelchair Will Travel 

Does your city have any Inclusive playgrounds or equipment?

What is something that has surprised you  in terms of inclusive features?

Let me know in the comments below.

17 comments
Level 8

Re: Surprised by Accessibility

@PennyChristie , WoW Im also surprised to see this swing. I haven't seen this yet in a park in Sri Lanka. These kind of little things could mean a world to someone.I would surely share under this topic when I come across such great accessibility features that we usually don't think of.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Connect Moderator

@PennyChristie  Wow! Its a big message for the future wheelchair user community.  Thanks for sharing such a nice photo of accessibility. 

Happy Guiding!

Level 10

That is really great @PennyChristie 

In Iran, many cities are going to be more and more accessibility-friendly. We see such efforts in sidewalks, public transport, public bathrooms, and also parks. We have many parks that are designed to have accessibility options such as ramps and tactile paths. But some few ones have an accessibility-friendly playground, too.

For example in Artists Park, we have a special playground.

But one thing that one day surprised me was finding a special park that is designed exactly for accessibility and even its name refers to this. It has lots of things such as suitable bathrooms, wide paths with tactile, a special playground with such suitable swing, suitable chess tables, large pergolas, and suitable benches. It has even an office which borrow a wheelchair for people who need it. These are all things such people needs. But also one another important thing for all people and helps to be healthier is nature and this park is full of trees and plants with a fountain that created really good weather which is enjoyable for everyone.

I hope we see such accessibility options more and more in every place.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Connect Moderator

That's a really impressive swing @PennyChristie that can easily accommodate a wheelchair safely. 

I have been assessing public parks in my neighborhood for accessibility and found that care has been taken to make the entrance accessible and further a paved path has been provided to enable the differently-abled people to reach the swings and other equipment using a wheelchair.

The swing-in-a-wheelchair definitely takes accessibility a notch ahead.

Connect Moderator

Loved this post @PennyChristie ! I personally loved swings as a kid and still enjoy them sometimes in the parks whenever I take my kid.. hehe.. The swing specially build for wheelchair people in Sydney looks amazing and I am glad to see how progressive and accessible friendly Sydney is ! Thanks for sharing with us !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Level 10

That is great @PennyChristie 

This is the first time I see this kind of swing !

There should be more !

I hope you are fine!

Besos from france 

Connect Moderator

Thanks @ravindus Seeing this swing was a really nice surprise. I hope they bring them to Sri Lanka one day. 

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Wow @Amiran Your description of the Special Park sounds amazing. I will be sure to have a look.