ravindus's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[RECAP] Southern Highway Blue Line ~ 200 km of Street View

tiny planet shot of out Street View car with 4 star logo on the toptiny planet shot of out Street View car with 4 star logo on the top

Southern Highway is Sri Lanka's road to the Beach Party Central.  It connects the Colombo to all the amazing beach towns down south. Bentota, Aluthgama, Hikkaduwa, Galle, Unawatuna, Mirissa. Dikwella, Thangalla

The latest and Final extension of this highway is from Mathara to Hambanthota. This 96km extension makes creates a historically and economically important connection. It provides the direct link from Capital city to Sri Lanka's second International Airport at Maththala and International Port and Industrial zone in Hambanthota. With this total length of Southern highway become 222 km. ? ? ?

New highway extension was declared open on 23rd Feb 2020. I was determined to add this so important highway to street view. I discussed with my LG partner @kasunaaa and made plans to get this giant highway section into Streetview. It won’t going to be easy. 200 + km of street view recording.

Car is ready with 360 camera setup. Insta 360 one X with dust coverCar is ready with 360 camera setup. Insta 360 one X with dust cover

But we were certain about one thing. That our Insta 360 Monster is hungry for another highway after we feed him the previous Kerawalapitiya Highway section.

We planed a continuous power supply. Because we can’t stop in the middle of the highway to change batteries.

We planned for additional memory as this is going to be a 3hrs + street view footage.

And we even planned for food, water, fuel and even bathroom breaks for the trip as it going to be a looooong loooooong ride.

@Rumal95, @Yukthi and as always @asunaaa confirmed the attendance for the meetup. Three of them joined me at Kadawatha. All of us were very excited.

Selfies of Ravindu, Kasun , Yukthi and Rumal. Ravidnu and Youkthi walking with snacks for the journeySelfies of Ravindu, Kasun , Yukthi and Rumal. Ravidnu and Youkthi walking with snacks for the journey

We got into the car and started our Journey to Mathara. Along the way, we discussed  360 photography, drawing blue lines, Making virtual tours and other exciting stuff. @Yukthi and @Rumal95 were really keen to experiment with the 360 camera. I and Kasun share all our knowledge and learnings with them while giving them some hands-on experience. We arrived at Mathara meetup starting location after a 150 km ride to Mathara where our meet up starting point.

Click from inside the car  and a photo of  holding 360 stickClick from inside the car and a photo of holding 360 stick

We set up our 360 camera on the car. I got behind the wheel. Kasunaa  was got the camera app control, Yukthi and Rumal95 got in the back seat and took the responsibility of monitoring the camera. We were all set,  Kasun set the recording mode to SV  and I hit the gas paddle. And Yes, these four local guides started drawing this historical blue line.?

The New Interchanges

• Palatuwa
  • Aparakka(road goes through the Aprekka forest reserve and  Sri Lanka's first Eco bridge built for animals to cross the highway)
  • Beliaththa
  • Kasagala
  • Angunalolapalassa
  • Barawakakumbuka
  • Suriyawewa
  • Mattala
  • Hambanthota

All of us were curious to see the new highway and its surroundings. It was a fresh road, running through the paddy fields in southern low lands and forest areas. We saw a lot of Peacocks along the road. There were warning signs in some areas to be alert on Peacock which may be crossing the road.

It was a long long ride. But we were so excited so we never felt tired. We had a lot of time though. We shared our Local Guide stories, Rumal and Ykthi were providing so much entertainment. The car was filled with fun and laughter. It was a blue line meetup but it became more of an LG brotherhood bonding time.

Along the way, Yukthi and Rumal had a lot of questions about 360 photography, blue line, and street view.

Kasun and  I shared all our experience and knowledge with them.

Peacock Warning, Interchange name boards and an picture of a interchangePeacock Warning, Interchange name boards and an picture of a interchange

As we planned we were tracking the battery life, and memory consumption closely. After a one and half hour drive passing paddy fields, Solar farms, forest sanctuaries and several dozens of Peacocks. We were reaching our first destination Hambantghota(aka Magampura)  where New international port and Industrial zone were set up. We could see the big cranes in the port from the distance.

inCollage_20200322_234039165.jpg

We reached the toll gates and we were already celebrating.  We paid the toll fee but the booth keeper and the police officer were curious about the 360 camera fixed in the car. After the unfortunate easter attack security personal are always alert for unusual things. We explained to them what we were doing and they were really happy about our mission to include this new highway street view in Google maps.

We exit the highway quickly backed up the valuable footage, change batteries. While baking up going on we stretched ourselves outside the car.  Took a few photos and get right back on the road.

received_654007658756384.jpeg

Matara-Hambanthota & Maththala blue line with our uploadsMatara-Hambanthota & Maththala blue line with our uploads

When we are on blue line mode we are nothing could come in the middle. We entered the highway again and headed towards Maththala International Airport. It was a 20mins SV video ride from Hambanthota. In this section, we saw electric fences on the sides of the highway to prevent big guys(“Sri Lankan Wild Elephants”) going on rides on the highway without paying a toll.

ravindus_0-1584281982026.gif

We exit from Maththala, did a quick you turn, start a new SV video and enter the highway again to head towards Mathara.

It’s another long drive back to Mathara. But we didn’t feel the distance or the time pass by. Because of all the stories started to flow, photo moments and LG experience sharing. Along all of that, we didn’t forget tracking the recording, batteries, and memory.  When we were reaching the Matara milestone were excited as a bunch of kids. We are completing 200 + km of street view. YES, @ravindus  @Kasunaa  @Rumal95  and @Yukthi_Isuranga  four Local Guides from Sri Lanka finishing a 200 km long long Blue Line…!!!

Shared photo folder here

RECAP Video ...

Thank loads for @Rumal95  for the RECAP video. Thanks, @Yukthi_Isuranga  for the beautiful video captures. This was a superb ream work.

@IlankovanT ,  @PaulPavlinovich , @InaS , @VasT , @Aruni   @JaneBuruninahope you like this. 

33 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Southern Highway Blue Line ~ 200 km of Street View

@ravindus 

Wow wow free standing applouse from button my heart ,you and team local guides Soo amazing , trip 200+ km in highway with street view project ,team work job so excellent . I'm proud of you all

By the way the weather so perfect I can San see in the video beautiful outside in Sri Lanka .

Again. Congratulations for successful project and meet-up,keep it up

Level 10

@ravindus  Wow, well-done. Nice to see you all doing this. Keep it up. 

Level 7

Best trip I've ever had. Getting on this route with a real team like you is really Good. Actually on this trip I thought I might have been of no help. But when I saw this video,i cange my mind. I was so excited to see this video. It contained every aspect of our journey. I'm really happy to be working with a group of them. You are very kind to me and realy thank you all to join me to on this trip. Spacially @ravindus  you are the person i'm join this trip. @kasunaaa you are too. @Rumal95  you are crazy person that i ever seen...lots of fun witj you guys..love you all ❤️❤️❤️❤️

yukthi isuranga Bombuwala
Level 10

Hi @ravindus It's really amazing milestone. Thank you so much for your great recap sharing with us.

Caption :  Kayaking in DharmasagarCaption : Kayaking in Dharmasagar

Regards.

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 8

Thank you very much @Nyainurjanah  . Yes it was a wonderful experience and team adventure. Total trip was 500+ km back and forth(we had to drive 130km to reach the new Highway)

I see you ride a bike and I enjoy your adventures. 🏍️ I like to drive around the country on a motorbike like you. 

Hope we could do a bike ride together someday. 🏍🇱🇰🇮🇩

Cheers...!!!

Level 8

Great hear your encouraging words @AnuradhaP , @OmarBD . It's always a inspiration when we receive complements like great LG hero's like you. 

@AnuradhaP , I saw the SV updates in Gallefort from you. 👏👏👏 Hope to see your  RECAP soon.(or Did I miss it somehow🤔)

@OmarBD did you draw a blue line along the river? 

Cheers.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ravindus

This is actually awesome! Thanks for sharing with us your achievement! Well done! Capturing Street View for Google Maps mush have been a lot of fun! Keep on your great pro-activity and don't hesitate to share with everyone your results! Thank you.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Many thanks for the complements @KatyaL , yes we felt a great sense of achievement after finishing those long miles and uploading them to Street View. 

We had lot of fun and laughter during meetup

I also want to thank you for always being helpful, provide guidence encouragement for our meetups, assist approving our meetups when they are stuck at review etc.. 💙👏👏👏

Cheers...!!!

Connect Moderator

Congratulations team, well done!

Paul