Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Planet or Plastic? Something to think about as Local Guides Clean the World

Connect Moderator

Level 7

@KarenVChin hi, it's a good initiative by google. I think it's our duty to keep our earth green and clean.

But I never use any plastic bag for marketing or buying groceries, 

to keep environment clean. 

I am nature lover that's why I planted many trees so floura and fauna grow there...

I am going to post picture of planted tree soon on local guide connect......

Connect Moderator

@TsekoV , yes, we need and must start thinking about our planet if we want to keep living on it. Every little bit helps in terms of conservation and not to be such a wasteful consumer. 

Did you know the clothing and textile industry waste is 2nd to oil as the largest polluter in the world? And that we each throw out 70 lbs of clothing into garbage cans? These fashion industry statistics will shock and educate you. And with clothing not made of 100% natural, biodegradable fibers, throwing clothes away is even worst for the environment because it does not breakdown.

It’s NOT just about plastics that we need to worry about. We need to rethink how we use consume in general if we want our planet to survive.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9

@KarenVChin  thank you for this great post. always I support for this and this month planned to do some activities in my area. definitely, this post will make awareness about "the plastic issue and pollution".

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT, thanks for sharing more interesting reads. It is wonderful that you are living in an area that is a case study in zero waste for Europe.

What I found fascinating is that in your area each person is still producing 58 kg or 127 lbs (me in weight - how is that for a visual = ) ) of non-recyclable waste per year! Every plastic straw does add up in a year’s time!

As for plastic, there is good plastic (can biodegrade) vs bad plastic (made out of fossil oil by product that will not breakdown in multiple lifetimes). We, as consumers, have the power to say “no” with our wallets or at times choose not use that item. Some businesses are listening. Some governments too. 

Your Local Guides Clean The World initiative is great because we can all make a difference as individuals and as groups, to make it a part of our lives. I voted for your Waste Reporting on Google Maps idea because it makes sense.

As you know, changing the behavior of adults is one thing. Starting kids when they are young and impressionable will make the greatest impact because they only want clean air, water, and healthy, safe things to eat and drink if this is the world they only know.

I’ve mine trained to ask what is garbage and what is recyclable. I’ve made it a game to who gets to go to the trash can (have one for their height and reach) and the recyclable box. It would bring you great joy to watch!

Cheers,

Karen 

Connect Moderator

@Priyanshusingh , that is wonderful! Does your city have a recycling program? Or a ban in the use of plastic bags? More and more cities are going this route. We have had it now for 3 to 4 years (it’s been so long) and it feels funny to visit another area that doesn’t have this law. I am always carry a tote bag with me.

Look forward to seeing your planted trees. Is this part of a Local Guides meetup? Or something you wanted to do for yourself?

Cheers,

Karen

Level 7

@KarenVChin  In my city there is no recycling program.

But yes there is ban on polythene.

It's my hobby to plant trees so I didn't organise any local guide Meetup.I planted trees 3- 4 year ago  now they are grown longer!!

I am continuously adding plants........

I think it's our responsibility to plant trees does planting trees need any type of Meetup??

Level 8

@FaridTDF  Yes Australia is playing Coronas add on air regularly about there part in recycling I've seen something similar

Former Google Contributor

@KarenVChin I totally agree with your way of thinking.

We, the global citizens, must learn how to keep and preserve, how to reuse and care for the nature. As you mentioned, it is shocking the amount of clothes that people throw away. And on top of that can you image there are out there that millions of people who still need those clothes, need to eat and feel equal person as all the rest.

I guess the idea of minimalism - to live with fewer material possession and have greater live values is a good lesson that people should from.

The good think is that we are the change. Everyone plays equally an important role to preserving the our world and this role starts from "your own home", the way we live and what our habits are.

@DavidTito Thank you for sharing this post with me, I am just reading it.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!