KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Planet or Plastic? Something to think about as Local Guides Clean the World

@TsekoV  Thank you for your very welcome, I look forward to talking to you soon again 

Connect Moderator

Agree @KarenVChin 

That's why education is for me one of the most important step, in the progression to a sustainable world. The great evolution that I have seen in my country is that, now, children educate parents. For them is natural to recycle, is natural to avoid wasting food, is natural to enjoy the nature.

In the meantime we, (adults) have to build a sustainable world.

The change will not take a day, nor a year, but we need to understand that we don't have infinite resources, air and water are not self cleaning, we eat our waste, through a long cycle. 

What we throw away, will come back on our dishes, on our food.

Level 8

@KarenVChin Thanks for raising this vital issue of our time. I am sharing our initiative to spread awareness around single-use plastic in the Trans Himalayan region of Spiti Valley in India. We made this life-size art installation out of discarded plastic bottles collected from a dump yard. The idea is to make everyone pledge 'Not to use packaged drinking plastic water bottles' and we educated villagers/travellers around its harmful effects. #ILoveSpiti

Team behind #ILoveSpitiTeam behind #ILoveSpiti

Installing #ILoveSpitiInstalling #ILoveSpiti

Stay Crazy
Saurabh Narang
Former Google Contributor

@KarenVChin, thanks for the great post and of course thanks for tagging me @TsekoV. 🙂 

I'm very sensitive when it gets to plastic. Through the years I've been participating in different initiatives and I've organized a lot of cleans up here in Bulgaria. But with time I've realized that it is not enough and we have to focus on spreading awareness, so that we can give an example to the people around us. For that reason, I completely agree with you, @ErmesT, that education is the key for success. 

For instance I always carry a tote bag and a water bottle in my bag, so I won't utilize a single use plastic. Also, instead of plastic straws, I use a metal or bamboo ones. These are some of the few things that I do, so that I can bring awareness to people who surrounds me. 

Caption: Tote bag with reusable water bottle (Local Guide @JavieraAu)Caption: Tote bag with reusable water bottle (Local Guide @JavieraAu)
By the way, there is a really good movie about this topic called A Plastic Tide which I really recommend.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@Saurabh_Narang thanks for sharing your story here on Connect on what you are doing to bring awareness about plastic and trash to both your community and the tourists who come visit. I’m sure your giant heart statue gets definite looks at. 

I remember seeing photos of old camp sites where the tourist trekkers have left their trash up on Mt Kilimanjaro. It was very sad to see this. 

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing your story on how you live your talk @JavieraAu! I pretty much have the same tote bag and stainless steel water bottle. Great minds think a like.

For the longest time I was using an old glass bottle that at one time was sold as iced tea.  Still have it on my shelf.

Participating in one off cleanups is one thing, but make a change in one’s behavior and keeping it up I believe is more impactful. Plus it opens up the new conversations with people watching what you are doing. 

As for your movie suggestion “The Plastic Tide,” I found this:

https://www.theplastictide.com/the-problem-main

Is the movie apart of this?

Cheers,

Karen

Former Google Contributor

Hey @KarenVChin

I completely agree with you and for that reason, I think that the key is education and giving a good example. 🙂 

Regarding the article and the movie, they discuss the same issue. You can find the movie on YouTube. It's a 40 minutes documentary. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Ah @Priyanshusingh , let me introduce you to a fellow Connect Moderator @IlankovanT .

Ilankovan lives in Sri Lanka and he is Local Guides Connect resident "planting tree" man.  He has created a website called www.letsmapgreen.com with his mission to plant now a billion, yes, a billion trees around the world. 

Ilankovan has created many Local Guides meetups with the mission to plant trees and shrubs in his country of Sri Lanka. He is always looking for more Local Guides to plant trees and/or shrubs in their countries and tracking these trees onto Google Maps.  I know he would enjoy chatting with you more about setting up a Local Guide Tree Planting Meetup in your community. Ilankovan meet Priyanshusingh. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

Terima kasih @KarenVChin sudah menandai saya dalam post ini. 

National Geographic selalu menghentak dengan teks, foto dan video lingkungan yang semakin menghentak masyarakat global. Ini sebuah fakta yang tidak terbantahkan. Masyarakat global perlahan, sedikit demi sedikit bak bola salju yang semakin tersadarkan. Semakin banyak media lokal, regional, nasional dan internasional mengangkat isu lingkungan, akan semakin banyak orang yang akan terkejut, berpikir dan akan tergerak berubah dan ikut gerakan global dari lingkungan masing-masing.

Inisiatif @ErmesT dengan proyek Local Guides Clean The World 1.0 dilanjutkan dengan Local Guides Clean The World Is 2.0 dibantu Bro @DavidTito dengan mymaps sangat membantu titik-titik pergerakan berbasis peta. 

Untuk cara pelaporan limbah di google maps, ini seperti yang dilakukan oleh Tim Patroli Sungai Ciliwung, Kota Bogor, Jawa Barat, Indonesia. Mereka bergerak setiap hari Senin - Jum'at dari jam 9 pagi - 4 sore. Tim ini akan bekerja selama 6 bulan ke depan sejak bulan Februari ini. Tim Patroli ini anggotanya dari militer, pegawai negeri dan relawan. Tulisan tentang ini sedang saya susun.

Salam dari Bogor

FJoe

Level 8

True @ErmesT  but I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing, my stomach is growling  lol