ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

A Reflection on "Original Content" - What if this Photo ... is Yours?

A note before you start to read: This post is very long, so i decided to split it in three part:

Chapter 1: A Reflection on "Original Content" - What if this Photo ... is Yours? (this post)

Chapter 2: A reflection on Original Content - Rules and more

Chapter 3 - A reflection on Original Content - FAQ

make sure to scroll down to read the complete post

Hi Local Guides.

After reading several posts and questions about "Original Content", I would like to start a conversation on this topic because it is sometimes misunderstood.

Before talking about rules, which obviously we have, I would like to ask you to change your perspective, entering for a few minutes "in other’s shoes".

Caption: on the left, a photo of a group of people. On the right, the same photo used on a newspaper. Title: A Reflection on "Original Content", What if This Photo ... is Yours? - Photo and Graphic: @ermestCaption: on the left, a photo of a group of people. On the right, the same photo used on a newspaper. Title: A Reflection on "Original Content", What if This Photo ... is Yours? - Photo and Graphic: @ermest

I want to invite you to read this story, which is a true story and, at the end, to tell me "what would you have done in this situation?"

Introduction: The real story of a real friend

A friend of mine is a craftsman. He works with the paper, to build notebooks and games, which he sells in the craft street markets.

He is very good, and proud of his work. He is often invited to fairs set in the Middle Ages, where he shows up with his period costume.

He likes to take photos of his activity, that are usually uploaded on his FaceBook page.

Times ago, walking in the city where the next fair would take place, he saw the posters announcing the event and, with great surprise, he discovered that the photo used was .. his photo, which he had uploaded on his profile in FaceBook.

Nobody asked him the permission for using the photo, nor they informed him about that.

They simply “took the photo” as it was “public in Internet”.

If you had been in my friend's shoes, what would you have done?

The question is open, for you to respond, and to give some tip to him, and to the community.

Back on our shoes

Now is the time to go back on our shoes and think about it, every time we don't have a good photo and ... "maybe on the Internet we find a more beautiful one" or ... "an already written text that explains very well what we would like to write".

My Cover Photo - An example of Good Practices

My cover photo have a different story, and it is perfectly following all the rules of Copyright and Intellectual Property:

• The Newspaper asked me for permission to use the photo
  • They mentioned me on the caption

If you are curious about the story behind the photo, you can read: When I was a kid I was Down - Don't call me disable

Unfortunately, it is not always like this

What if that photo … is mine?

In my opinion this should be the first thought, if someone thinks of taking an image online to use it.Ethical behavior would make many of the points mentioned below not necessary.

We have rules and also laws, to protect Copyright and intellectual property, but if we don’t start to think about us as “the Author”, we may not be able to understand the rules, why the rules are there and what the rules are for.

This post may end now, I believe this may already explain why not use other people's content.

But if you want to know more, on the next pages you can find more details about:

Oh, here are the hands of my friend

Caption: Hands at work - a craftsman creating his Original and Unique content - Photos @ermestCaption: Hands at work - a craftsman creating his Original and Unique content - Photos @ermest

Treviso, Province of Treviso, Italy
75 comments
Connect Moderator

Original Content - Rules and more

Original Content - Rules and more

Caption: two sculptures representing writing and books. The photos were taken at Villa Guidini. Title: A reflection on "Original Content", Rules and more  - Photos and Graphic: @ermestCaption: two sculptures representing writing and books. The photos were taken at Villa Guidini. Title: A reflection on "Original Content", Rules and more - Photos and Graphic: @ermest

As we said, we have rules and laws in places to protect the Copyright and intellectual property, but the first rule, for me, is always “What if this Photo …. is Yours ?

Local Guides Connect

As usual, on Local Guides Connect and in Google Maps there are clear answer and explanation about the rules, but again (as I did it already on other posts) I would like to start from the values, not from the rules.

Values

Values are the reason why, on the first position of the list I am putting again our five core values: “We’re original. We post our own words, photos, and videos that we’ve created just for Connect. We don't share content that we don't have the rights to.” Simply this, no more. Rights and Create, are the keywords: the rights of the Author, the rights of the ones who used his time to “Create” a content, a photo, a novel, a paint, a music. His creativity can be public, for us to enjoy, but still be his own creativity, and must be acknowledged.

On our Help Desk there is an extremely clear post about the subject: How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?. I don’t need to write the content here. I only want to paste the last sentence: 

Posts with images or content used without the copyright holder’s permission will be removed from Connect.

A bit strong, isn't it? Oh nooo, don't worry, it's absolutely appropriate. Are you wondering why?

Rules

Since we are Local Guides, we contribute to Google Maps and in Google Maps we will never publish content that is not originally ours, isn't it?

We have rules in place for this, about photos and reviews, rules that we can reach with a few tap on our Google Maps App.

Maps User Contributed Content Policy says: “Contributions must be based on real experiences and information. Deliberately fake content, copied or stolen photos, off-topic reviews … are all in violation of our policy. If you see this behavior, please report it.

… We also reserve the right to remove content that violates our policies or terms of service, and to suspend or delete abusive accounts

The same principle is obviously extended to Connect

Laws

In most countries of the world, "intellectual property" is protected by law and, more importantly, it is protected by default. What does it mean? Basically, it means that everything you post is automatically protected and you can claim your rights if someone uses your content by asking:

• The removal of the stolen content
  • The payment for the use of your material

Furthermore, in some countries, the responsibility for the use of stolen material (yes, stolen is the word for uploading and publishing content not created by us without the author's permission) also involves the owner of the platform. It means that the owner of the platform (Google in this case) can be held responsible for the stolen content.

Conclusion:

What would you do if you were the owner of the platform?

Personally, I would immediately remove the plagiarized content and inform whoever uploaded it of the rules. If the same action were repeated, I would remove access to the platform from those who added the inappropriate content.

The post is part of the series: A Reflection on "Original Content" - What if this Photo ... is Yours? 

Connect Moderator

FAQ about Original Content

FAQ about Original Content

Caption: a knotted tree (on left) and a stone carved to resemble a brain (right). The photos were taken in Artesella. Title: A reflection on "Original Content", FAQ - Photos and graphic: @ermestCaption: a knotted tree (on left) and a stone carved to resemble a brain (right). The photos were taken in Artesella. Title: A reflection on "Original Content", FAQ - Photos and graphic: @ermest

Here below you can find a list of the most common questions about Original Content In Google Maps and Local Guides Connect

Are all the contents published online free to use?

No, they are not. All published content is protected by copyright and by definition must be considered "not usable", unless otherwise specified.

There are websites that give Photos for free, without asking for permission or giving credit to the artist. Can I use them in Google Maps?

No. “Contributions must be based on real experiences and information. Deliberately fake content, copied or stolen photos, off-topic reviews … are all in violation of our policy. If you see this behavior, please report it.” Source: Maps User Contributed Content Policy 

May I use “Royalty Free” photos in Google Maps?

No, see the answer above: “Contributions must be based on real experiences and information

There are websites that give Photos for free, without asking for permission or giving credit to the artist. Can I use them in Connect?

No. “Only share photos you have taken yourself or received permission to use directly from the copyright owner. Do not download and post photos from Google Search, Google Maps, social media, stock photo websites, or elsewhere on the internet without receiving permission from the owner of that photo”. Source: How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?

May I use contents taken from articles on Wikipedia, or other websites?

Do not pass off someone else’s words as your own. If you are sharing words someone else has written, use quotation marks around the statement and link to the source where you found that information.

It should be clear which words are yours and which are someone else’s.” Source: How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?

What can happen to me if I upload “not original content” in Google Maps?

Google Maps “reserve the right to remove content that violates our policies or terms of service, and to suspend or delete abusive accounts” Source: Maps User Contributed Content Policy 

What can I do if I uploaded “not original content” in Google Maps?

Do you think you may have shared photos on Google Maps that go against our guidelines, rules, and policies? Go through your photo contributions, remove any photos and videos that may be considered irrelevant or spam, and help others easily find useful information. Remember if you delete your photos and videos or if they are removed by our team, your Local Guides points for those contributions will also be removed.” Source: What photos should I share on Google Maps? 

What can happen to me if I upload “not original content” in Connect?

Posts with images or content used without the copyright holder’s permission will be removed from Connect”. Source: How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?

A Google Moderator will always tag you in the thread, to inform you when this happen.

The post is part of the series: A Reflection on "Original Content" - What if this Photo ... is Yours? 

Connect Moderator

Re: A Reflection on "Original Content" - What if this Photo ... is Yours?

Es un gran post @ErmesT , donde explica copy simples palabras las actityudes correctas con el uso de material de otra persona, sea texto, fotos o cualquier cosa. 

No siempre se valora el esfuerzo que consumió al dueño del material que usamos sin el debido permiso del que realizo el material que usamos sin su consentimiento. 

El caso que ilustrarás el de tu amigo es muy representativo de como toman una foto que parece que no tiene dueño  y la usan para cualquier cosa 😏

Saludos Farid.

Level 10

Re: FAQ about Original Content

What about dear @ErmesT , clearer than that!

You have exposed all the highlights about the copyright and, if someone doesn't follow them, it simply means that he stole something that belongs to others.

Even if it is a simple amateur photo, you must always bring respect and the right acknowledgments to the author.

Bravo Ermes, who knows if it will help many LocalGuides to choose wisely the materials to share here on Connect!

Thanks for sharing this with us,
David
Connect Moderator

That is a complete guideline for all users & Contributors of Google Maps & Local Guides Connect about original content. And this was really need of time. Can we use your all tutorial posts as reference in our posts when it's need?

Thank you for another great post.

Shukriya @ErmesT 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT Very useful guidelines with some practical story. Following you still learning a lot. Thanks again for writing about another post about Original Content. I hope this post will reach everyone and it will work for our reference also. 

Keep writing brother!

Happy Guiding!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @FaridTDF 

The post also explain, if you scroll down, the rules of the Original Content, but I believe that, if we are honest and respectful, we will follow the rules also without knowing them.

I wanted to create a paradox, inviting the Local Guides to think about "What if the photo is mine?"

Entering on the shoes of the Author, can help to change the point of view

Connect Moderator

Es una interesante paradoja @ErmesT que nos lleva a reflexionar, sobre esta realidad tan común en el uso de las redes sociales como Instagram, Facebook o Twiter, pero LocalGuidesConnet es un gran oasis, para todos aquellos donde nos gusta admirar y ponderar el contenido de calidad, pero por sobre todas las cosas el contenido original, tanto en texto como en imagen.

Son pocos los lugares donde tantas personas se dediquen a cuidar el jardín (www.localguidesconnect.com) con tanto esmero y dedicación por eso creo que tu post es tan importante, ayuda a los noveles Local Guides que se incorporan a Connect o a Google Maps, conocer que es lo que nos gusta leer y publicar, de una manera precisa en los términos y las formas.

Level 9

Re: FAQ about Original Content

@ErmesTThis is a good guide. I have seen that people who are new in publishing online often do not know this. They are not aware of the content policy and copyright. This is also a matter of ethics. Because if I steal contents the author may never be able to find. But still, this is a bad practice as you said if we put ourselves in their shoes.

I always try to make it clear what is my content and what is not mine but I have permission to use by giving appropriate credit everywhere like social media, my blogs, and connect.

On Maps I never shared anything that is not mine. Because I know we can only share our own original contents. On Connect I always use the same free image from pixabay with correct attribution for all my question posts.

I again thank you for putting together this long guide. 🙂

Connect with me: My blog, YouTubeFacebookInstagram