NguyenNguyenNhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Explore beautiful islands of Vietnam

Much as I love to visit every island around the world, I still find myself never touching any other countries' sea water. Fortunately, my home country - Vietnam - has more than 3,000 islands and islets, and to be honest, I can never get enough of them.

Tu islet on Tho Chu island, Kien Giang province - my most favourite placeTu islet on Tho Chu island, Kien Giang province - my most favourite place

Being able to travel to many islands in Vietnam is such a blessing, but not everyone have a chance to do it. Out of a thousand places to go for a hot summer trip, most people still choose famous beaches on mainland like Do Son, Nha Trang, Vung Tau. To me, a worthy beach takes more than just being touristy. It has to be clean and untouched. It is the kind of place that you will have to spend several minutes just standing there and admire the view. The kind of place that makes you want to stay, not for hours but for days. And to me, that kind of beaches can only be found on small islands.

Early morning in Nam Du island, Kien Giang provinceEarly morning in Nam Du island, Kien Giang province

Cay Men beach on Nam Du island, Kien Giang provinceCay Men beach on Nam Du island, Kien Giang province

Everytime I go to a place like these, I just want to shout out to the world: “Hey, there are a lot more to discover in Vietnam”. Pristine beauty of Con Dao islands, Tho Chu islands, Nam Du islands never failed to surprised me. There may not be resorts or giant hotels, sometimes the only bed you have is a hammock, but the nature can be so captivating you would even want to sleep on the sand.

Con Dao island, Ba Ria - Vung Tau provinceCon Dao island, Ba Ria - Vung Tau province

It has been great to see many unknown places appeared on Google Maps. I wouldn’t have known about Thom beach and Ong Lang beach if I hadn’t use Google Maps when visiting Phu Quoc island. The experience I had in these two beaches is far more precious to me than in the crowded Sao beach, which many tour guides recommend.

The quiet Thom beach on Phu Quoc island, Kien Giang province - The biggest island of VietnamThe quiet Thom beach on Phu Quoc island, Kien Giang province - The biggest island of Vietnam

Staying above the water and have some seafood here in Rach Vem fishing village, Phu Quoc islandStaying above the water and have some seafood here in Rach Vem fishing village, Phu Quoc island

Seaweed dancing with the waves in the sunset on Ong Lang beach, Phu Quoc islandSeaweed dancing with the waves in the sunset on Ong Lang beach, Phu Quoc island

With my camera, and a passion for islands, I snap some shots whenever I can. Sharing these hidden gems with the world excites me, but also makes me wonder: Will those places loose their wilderness like some famous beaches on the mainland? Can my reviews and photos be the reasons for it, if it happens?

Seagulls following our ferry to Phu Quoc islandSeagulls following our ferry to Phu Quoc island

Mass tourism is thriving in Vietnam, putting many natural tourist sites in pressure. So, well, I share my journey in a slightly different way. I made a blog encouraging my readers to go figure but also be aware of the enviromental issues there. I post reviews and photos on Google Maps with a reminder to keep these places clean. I think I have a responsibility not only to promote my country’s best places but also to preserve their environment.

Tho Chu island, Kien Giang provinceTho Chu island, Kien Giang province

Go explore with me!Go explore with me!

Nhi Nguyen
Vietnam
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Explore beautiful islands of Vietnam

@NguyenNguyenNhi, these are beautiful beach photos of your country. I agree visiting non touristy, crowded beaches are the best if given the choice.

I have never visited Vietnam and the things that come to my mind are big, urban cities, such as Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

I see you are a Level 6. If you are or will be 21 years old by the start of Connect Live 2019, I hope you are applying for the chance to attend Connect Live 2019 in San Jose, CA.

San Jose has one of the largest Vietnamese communities outside of Vietnam here in the US called Little Saigon with a population of 180,000 residents or 10% of the total population of San Jose compromised of people who are Vietnamese. 

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Great post @NguyenNguyenNhi 

Thank you for letting us know a bit more about your beautiful country.It is wonderful to watch your photos, and more to read your post, and your effort about environmental issues. Vietnam is definitely a country to add to my wish list, is beautiful to see how much you care about your islands.

I added a link to this post on LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld - Best Practices

Best practices is part of Local Guides Clean The World - A Local Guides project

Thank you for letting us know about the Vietnamese communities of San Jose, @KarenVChin 

Level 10

@NguyenNguyenNhi  You have shared something different, and beauty is worthy to be maintained by doing something for sustainability. More people must be involved and join with you. Thank you for sharing.

@ermest  Thank you for tagging me in this cool post, I will share it on the Local Guides Clean The World fanpage

Level 6

@KarenVChin, I hope you can visit my country in the future. 

I am applying for Connect Live 2019. I have never been to anywhere outside South East Asia so it’d mean a lot if I get choosen. I can’t wait to connect with other local guides and seeing other Vietnamese.

Thank you!

Nhi Nguyen
Level 8

hi,

nice details. thank you for sharing.

#who_is_debasis
Level 6

Thank you @ErmesT for sharing this post to Local Guides Clean The World fanpage. I hope you can visit my country in the future!

Nhi Nguyen
Level 8

@NguyenNguyenNhi  very nice photos and I was just looking at your photo journey on Google maps which I put together Here and thank @ErmesT  for tagging me here

Level 10

Congratulations @NguyenNguyenNhi ,

For me it's a particular post because you show us the beautiful of your country and the needed to protect this environment.

Hi5 to you .

You're welcome 

Connect Moderator

Cool @NguyenNguyenNhi! Again, good luck with your Connect Live 2019 application.

Cheers,

Karen