AngieYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet а Meet-up Champion: Brian

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Brian holding a microphone and talking about the Local Guides program during an event and an illustration with the word ‘Brian’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Brian holding a microphone and talking about the Local Guides program during an event and an illustration with the word ‘Brian’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.

Local Guide and Guiding Star @br14n is one of our Community Builders — Local Guides who go above and beyond to nurturе connections. Born in Batu City, Indonesia, Brian now lives in Malang City on the east end of Java Island and works in Kuningan Regency, West Java. Everywhere he goes, he strives to meet new people, introduce them to the Local Guides program, and leave a mark. He has successfully created several local Local Guides communities in different locations, including Banyuwangi, Ternate, and Kuningan.

Brian has years of experience organizing meet-ups with the support of his partner @Annisa1208, and he recently shared some of his tips and tricks with us. Read on to find out what they are.

What do you love about meet-ups?

I get to meet a lot of people from different backgrounds, and together we contribute photos, videos, and reviews while discussing many things. It doesn't matter who takes part in the meet-ups, whether it’s people with experience or people who are just starting to navigate Google Maps. There's always something new I can learn from everyone.

What was your first experience with meet-ups? 

It was when I met @MutiahA, @NunungAfuah, @AndiBrata, and several other Local Guides in Malang City. We connected via Connect and were finally able to meet offline. It was an unforgettable experience, and thank God we are still connected to this day.

Caption: A photo of a group of Indonesia Local Guides during the Bromo Geo Walk meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @br14n)Caption: A photo of a group of Indonesia Local Guides during the Bromo Geo Walk meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @br14n)

Do you have a favorite meet-up theme?

The meet-up theme I like the most is Geo Walk, exploring nature. I’ve been doing that regularly with my best friends since before becoming a Local Guides. It’s also what made me join the Local Guides program in the first place — I was trying to add a hidden gem called Coban Jodo in the Malang District.

What are your tips for planning a meet-up?

For new meet-up hosts:

• Choose a place that is easy to reach, set a date, and invite your closest friends to join.

For more experienced hosts:

• Define a specific place [where you can make an] impact.
  • Contact the manager to notify them of your plan.
  • Create event posters for social media.
  • Invite Local Guides and others to join.
  • Invite sponsors to support the event. (Editor’s note: please refer to the Local Guides Program Terms and Conditions for guidelines on sponsored meet-ups.)
  • Create a festive event while still prioritizing contributions.

I still follow both today.

Caption: A photo of a group of Kuningan Local Guides during the Curug Bobokan Geo Walk meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @br14n)Caption: A photo of a group of Kuningan Local Guides during the Curug Bobokan Geo Walk meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @br14n)

What are the three most important things you’ve learned from organizing meet-ups?

These are:

• Friendship. You can see this in the way people support each other’s activities and meet-ups.
  • Consistency. Оver time, I can see how community members develop new habits by consistently contributing to meet-ups and assisting the people around them.
  • Networking. I maintain good relations with everyone who has interacted with us during a meet-up, and we are sometimes invited to participate in special events.

What one piece of advice would you give to someone who’s about to host their first meet-up?

Just do it, regardless of the [number of] participants. Don't get too carried away with plans that are too complicated or worry that it won’t be fun. Choose the place and invite friends around you. Tell the world that the place you are visiting exists.

What do you think a good recap post should include?

In my opinion, it should include:

• An interesting title. This is important because the first thing that will attract people to read your post is the title. It must be precise and represent the content of the post.
  • Photos that speak. Everyone can take pictures. But you have to capture the right moment. It would be nice to see photos of people laughing, being surprised, or some other reaction.
  • A detailed story. It helps us find out how the meet-up went. The more detailed the story is, the more interesting it will be.

Caption: A photo of a group of Batu Local Guides during the Coban Jodo Geo Walk meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @br14n)Caption: A photo of a group of Batu Local Guides during the Coban Jodo Geo Walk meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @br14n)

Do you have a favorite meet-up you’ve hosted or attended?

My favorite meet-up that I hosted was the Coban Jodo Geo Walk in 2017. There were a lot of participants, and the trekking path was challenging. The beautiful scenery and the bond [we built] with the manager of the venue made this meet-up special.

My favorite meet-up that I attended was the Surabaya Geo Walk Accessibility in 2017. I got to meet my favorite Google Moderator at the time, Bella Wi, and many Local Guides from various cities in East Java, like @FahmiAdimara@BudionoS@elyudith@badaib@Aguszetiawan, and more.

Have you attended any of Brian’s meet-ups? Do you have a question for him? Let us know in the comments below.

Want to see who else is a Meet-up Champion? Read our previous post here.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Malang, Malang City, East Java, Indonesia
61 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet а Meet-up Champion: Brian

Congratulations @br14n . You are doing amazing community development and meet up works.

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Woa congratulations mas @br14n !!!! So excited to know that you're our meet-up champion! No doubt that you're an inspiring Local Guides ever. I've been known you since 2016, it's 6 years ago! You're indeed adorable. 

Thanks for the post @AngieYC 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 10

Memang top komandan satu ini....banyak menginspirasi ....

sukses semangat selalu....Salam Kontribusi.....

Level 9

FB_IMG_1663323545185.jpg

FB_IMG_1618360056284.jpg

Congratulations to my partner @br14n , you deserve it. From the start as Local Guides, you were always excited to do it and never tired of spreading the positive virus as Local Guides. Of course, Batu Local Guides and we proud of you. May Allah give you health so that you can continue to guide us to become Local Guides wherever and whenever we are and can be useful for others. Thank you very much @AngieYC @for the appreciation

Level 9

Mantap dan semakin berkah ke depannya. Makin seru dan keren semua meet up nya . Congrats Komandan @Brian 

Connect Moderator

Hello @br14n 

A big congratulations to you for this achievement. I particularly like this because I know what effort it takes to organise a meet-up and get local guides. I have organised close to 20 meet-ups as well both physical and virtual. Well-done and keep up the good work. I like friendship and cordial interactions as well.

Thank you @AngieYC . We appreciate your good news and various announcements on the forum.

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 8

Congratulations @br14n 

Md Saiyen Azad (Chattogram, Bangladesh)
Guiding Stars 2022

You can check out my recent post about Sandakphu-Phalut Trekking

Instagram
Level 10

Wow, thank you so much @AngieYC 
I am really happy to hear this good news. Hopefully what I have done can be useful for others. And it seems this is also a gift for my big family, Batu Local Guides. I am so proud to be a part of our community.

Regards, Brian

Level 10

Wow..

Excellent job.

Worth praising.

We are really proud of you, our dear brother @br14n 

Best wishes for more achievements in the future.

👍❤️🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me