ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

When I was a kid I was Down - Don't call me disable

Discovering a beautiful place and an amazing story, all in one.
This is the experience that I had a couple of months ago. I have been invited for the presentation of a book with a fascinating title: "Da piccola ero down" (when I was a kid I was down).
The book is the story of a family, and is moving around the extraordinary experience (even if for them all this is simply "ordinary life") of having a child with Down's Syndrome.

"The bad thing about having Down's syndrome is that when you're born, parents get a little sad. The beauty is that after that day they will never be sad again" (N. Lang - R. Garcia, Downtown)"The bad thing about having Down's syndrome is that when you're born, parents get a little sad. The beauty is that after that day they will never be sad again" (N. Lang - R. Garcia, Downtown)

The event was taking place in a farm, a very special one. La casa di Anna (Anna’s house is the name of the farm), is “social farm”, a special place where, in an organic farm, we can find Anna, the owner (on the wheelchair, in the first photo) with her family, and a group of “special guests”, working together in the greenhouse. Everyone can work in there, it doesn’t matter if you have some ability impaired or not. Social inclusion is one of the target of this place, where a social farm, a vegetable’s shop, a restaurant, and a small hotel are integrated in this “super organized” space.

DSC05719.jpg

DSC05714.jpg

La casa di Anna - Anna's HouseLa casa di Anna - Anna's House

We spent a few hours with this family, during the presentation of the book, and in a few minutes we were friends.

Here you can see Giulia, the protagonist of the book, while she signs my own copy. We are in touch frequently, they are traveling all around Italy for presenting the book, for an idea that can become true: “don’t call me disable”

DSC05776.jpg

Learning from others is an everyday’s lesson, id doesn’t matter if the “teacher” is a 12 years old girl, that is showing us the true point of wiew.

Many times we think we are the masters, even about things of which we have no experience.

Find out how much we have to learn, find out how much we have to listen, can be a hard experience.

Find out how much we can learn, is my personal goal.

A personal satisfaction: my first photo published on a newspaperA personal satisfaction: my first photo published on a newspaper

Here is the album of the day: https://photos.app.goo.gl/W4o4vCQS69ywseoH2

Ermes

Treviso, TV, Italia
26 comments
Level 10

Re: When I was a kid I was Down - Don't call me disable

Hi @ErmesT,

Thanks for sharing this experience. 

It gives me some positive energy and positive thoughts.

In fact, we all have some problems, difficulties but when I see others difficulties it helps me to perspective and to take a step back.

Thanks

Jul

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT

Thank you. This is so wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Really very nice and a contribution which really affect the way we think.00C50866-9040-4EA7-B672-6180A8CAD072.jpeg

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

@ErmesT, muchas gracias por compartir este post, es muy reconfortante para el espíritu, estos temas son como los de accesibilidad, las personas con capacidades diferentes, están y forman parte de toda nuestra sociedad en todo el mundo y Google Maps, puede hacer mucho para mejorarles sus posibilidades de desplazamiento o diario vivir. Como en tu post esa granja ayuda a que un grupo de personas con síndrome de down estén mejor y puedan dar más de ellos mimos y hacerse en el camino con nuevas habilidades 👍🙂

Saludos Farid

👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Former Google Contributor

Heartwarming! Thanks for sharing this story, @ErmesT. Such a great initiative! 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thank you @TorM and @Julien44

There is no shame in taking a step back, and admitting that sometime we have to learn more. Rethinking about our beliefs is the most important action that everyone of us can do

Connect Moderator

Well, @FaridTDF, one of the point that we touched in our conversation was what we in Italy call "after us" (después de nosotros).

Is one of the more painfull point, for parents of a son with some impaired ability: "how wil be the life for our daughter, when we will not be able to assist her?". "Our hope hope is in the new technologies", is what they replied to me.

Tecnologies for cars that don't need a driver, tools able to understand what a person ask, apps that can tell you how to move to reach the place that you need to reach.

Level 7

yeah we all have some problems, difficulties ... we must rethinking about our beliefs it the best way to continue
Thanks for sharing this story, @ErmesT

Level 9

every first day of Ramadan you inspire me with new thing @ErmesT ,

i see this post this morning and really its heart touching , thank you very much and congrats for using your photo in the newspaper 🙂

Level 9

Hello @ErmesT Thank you for sharing Important content for all over the world...Heart touching  content sir with out family we are nothing ... Learning From others is good my point is learn good & Live Good...