TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Google Drive - 100 GB Gratis Local Guides

Hi, Paul. Your numbers are quite a bit off.

First, it doesn't "cost" Google $25 per year to offer someone 100GB of storage. That's Google's PRICE to you, the user. Google's actual COST is much, much lower than that. Moreover, most people don't use even close to 100GB, so the actual storage used on average is probably closer to 30GB, reducing the COST to Google even further. I remember reading an analysis back when Google launched Gmail about how the company could possibly afford to give each user an entire 1GB of storage (when Hotmail and the others were generally offering about 10-20 MB) and it was this shared capacity plus economies of scale that permitted it to.

Second, Google wouldn't be offering storage to every single person in the program. Per the badge descriptions page, there are 46,657 Local Guides at Level 6. If it COST Google US$1 (still probably too high) for 50GB of Drive storage per year, you're looking at US$46,657 per year, about half a low-level employee's salary at Google. And I'm quite sure those 46,657 LGs do far more work than a half-time staffer could.

Food for thought.

Level 1

NOT ABLE TO RETRIEVE MY POINTS ON DRIVE

I HAVE 600 POINTS ON THE LOCAL GUIDE

BUT STILL MY STORAGE IS SHOWING 15GB INSTEAD OF 100GB 

WHAT SHOULD I DO?/\

Level 10

Re: NOT ABLE TO RETRIEVE MY POINTS ON DRIVE

Connect Moderator

Hi @RATHISH

Drive Storage, as indicated by @LucioV, was a promotion offered to Local Guides from 2015 through March 2017. It was last offered to Local Guides who reached Level 4 by March 17, 2017 and redeemed it within 30 days, as detailed in the announcement post.

I'm merging your post in the official thread

Ermes

Level 6

Re: Drive storage promotion has ended

We would request to extend the storage. I'm actively contributing high quality content to the program using high quality devices to help others. In return, this drive storage is very useful and comes handy. Extension of storage with good amount would be first thing to expect for me right now.

Level 7

how to upgrade my gg drive ?

i m not able to upgrade my google drive storage 

i m on level  6 please help me 

Former Google Contributor

Re: how to upgrade my gg drive ?

Hello @vikas_rathore,

Unfortunately the storage promotion ended. You can read more about it here. If you need help managing your storage space, please consult this post.

Please note I have merged your topic with the already existing one.

Best regards,

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 7

Screenshot_2018-03-20-20-14-22-927_com.google.android.apps.docs.png

But my storage get full I have no space 

Level 8

Need the 100 Gig of storage as a Level 8 Local Guide -- Google wants to shut offf my email

Hello!   I admire & respect all that Google does. It is terrific, & a privilege, to be affiliated with such an outstanding firm.   I have about 30 million views on the nearly 5,000 images I have loaded into the Maps product. 

recently, my email account was supposed to be shut-off due to using more than 15 Gig -- I went on-line to find out what is happening. Google kindly raised my account limit to 100 Gig for only 14 days until this issue is resolved.

please let me know what I can do to assist in permanently raising my storage to 100 Gig.

much appreciated,

Neal 

Level 10

Re: Need the 100 Gig of storage as a Level 8 Local Guide -- Google wants to shut offf my email

Hello @NealS,

The free gigabyte drive storage has ended. Please have look at this post:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Drive-storage-promotion-has-ended/m-p/63040...

I think the only way is to pay for extra storage.

Hello @GeorgesHR, could you please confirm?

Thanks in advance and see you around

Jul