Zino_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival with Local Guides

It all started with a post by @StephenAbraham and then I got curious and also interested. As a food lover and a part-time food blogger, I had never tried a moon cake before nor heard of the festival and celebrating it with Local Gudies became the perfect opportunity. The timing was also great because it was during my lunch break. (I'm actually a fulltime lawyer)

The Mid Autumn festival is a special festival that is actually the second most popular festival after the Chinese New Year. At festival, lanterns are made and delicious moon cakes are eaten. I had planned to make a lantern but I couldn't find scissors anywhere. The moon cakes come in range of flavours and textures. Learning about the legend of Chaange reminded me of an episode of Avatar:The Last Air Bender which was about the Moon Spirit "Yui".

Caption: A collage of photos showing the Gold Gift Box and Red Bean Mooncake captured by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: A collage of photos showing the Gold Gift Box and Red Bean Mooncake captured by Local Guide @Zino_

Before the meetup, I visited the oldest Chinese Restaurant in Abuja, Nigeria called Sinoni and I picked up a special mooncake. It was in a Golden gift box with words "Chinese Moon Cake Festival" inscribed on it. The cake itself was a sweet flaky pastry filled with a very sweet red bean paste. Eventhough I'm a sweet tooth, I had to chase it down with some herbal green tea. It's been raining a lot in Abuja so I've been drinking more tea and less coffee. The mooncake cost 1000 naira which is about $2.60.

Caption: A collage of photos showing a cross section of my first ever red bean mooncake captured by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: A collage of photos showing a cross section of my first ever red bean mooncake captured by Local Guide @Zino_

During the meetup, we all learnt about the festival from Stephen and also got to see special mooncake from @AdrianLunsong and @Velvel. Rosy also gave us a look of her special dish "bhaji" which she made for us. Coincidentally, it is her birthday today! Happy birthday Rosy @RosyKohli 

I also showed off my red bean mooncake and got to share my first time eating a mooncake with Local Guides from around the world. It has definitely become a memorable experience for me and I hope to celebrate this festival next year with even more mooncake.

Caption: A screenshot of the meetup captured by Local Guide @StephenAbraham. You can see Local Guide @Zino_ in the top left corner showing off her mooncake after taking a bite.Caption: A screenshot of the meetup captured by Local Guide @StephenAbraham. You can see Local Guide @Zino_ in the top left corner showing off her mooncake after taking a bite.

Caption: A screenshot captured by Local Guide @Rk151 showing Local Guide @Zino_ unboxing and showing off her first mooncake with attendees during the meetup.Caption: A screenshot captured by Local Guide @Rk151 showing Local Guide @Zino_ unboxing and showing off her first mooncake with attendees during the meetup.

I also think it's amazing how a single post on Connect inspired me to try a mooncake and experience a bit of Chinese culture. You can read the meetup recap here.

中秋节快乐
Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!!!

Abuja, Nigeria
7 comments
Level 10

Re: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival with Local Guides

@Zino_ Thanks for sharing this amazing post. You certainly made our day yesterday. It is amazing that you could find an authentic mooncake all the way there in Abuja. One day, I must come and visit there. 😊

Level 8

You're welcome and thank you for the inspiration @StephenAbraham 

Whenever you visit Abuja, just know that you have personal tour guide!

Connect Moderator

Great recap post @Zino_ and it was awesome to have you give it a try live! And as you saw during the virtual meet-up there are many types of mooncakes! I personally like some types but not all so do seek them out and try the different varieties if you can! 

Thanks @StephenAbraham for the lovely meet-up! And great to see everyone that attended it! 

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 8

Connect Moderator

You were simply amazing @Zino_  for your ingenuity and your willingness to eat something new (mooncake) to you in front of all of us! 

You made my week with your honest participation. Zino, you are truly a Local Guides rock star

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

Oh my! Thank you so much for your kind words @KarenVChin you have really made my day! I guess this is truly how much of an impact being a part of Connect has made on me. Glad to have shared a memorable experience with everyone.

P.S. I believe you're also a true Local Guides rockstar from your Profile picture! Always eager to try new things and so full of life!

Connect Moderator