Zino_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Making Puff Puff

Puff Puff is a popular Nigerian snack and street food that all Nigerians love and enjoy especially with hot tea or in a pack of small chops. Small chops is a small pack of snacks which includes puff puff, samosas, spring rolls and chicken.

Caption: Local Guide @Zino_ picking up a golden puff puffCaption: Local Guide @Zino_ picking up a golden puff puff

My sister and I were craving it so we decided to make some puff puff. I initially shared this post on Instagram and I decided to share my recipe with our community.

Caption: Freshly Made Puff Puff by Local Guide @Zino_Caption: Freshly Made Puff Puff by Local Guide @Zino_

So here's what you'll need:
300g of flour
50g of sugar
1 tablespoon of dry yeast
1½ cups of warm water***
Vegetable oil for deep frying

Directions:
- Mix all your dry ingredients properly in a bowl before gradually adding warm water to mix. The mixture should be thick and well combined not watery.
- Cover the bowl with a warm cloth and keep in a warm place for about 1 hour for the dough to rise.
- After the time has elapsed, give the dough a final mix before frying.
- Heat up a lot of vegetable oil in a deep pan or pot, you want the oil to be hot enough but not too hot otherwise the puff puff will burn and its center will be raw. Use the wooden spoon test to check if the oil is hot enough.
- Scoop the dough with your fingers or an ice cream scoop into small balls and drop it into the oil.
- At intervals, Dip your hand or ice cream scoop into water to prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers or the ice cream scoop.
- Fry each ball until it is golden brown on all sides. A cooking fork is great for flipping the puff puff. To absorb excess oil, line a clean bowl with kitchen paper and place the golden puff puff in it.
- Finally, serve and enjoy the puff puff with any topping you'd like. You can use sugar, nutella, cinnamon or jam. I prefer plain puff puff.

Inside a Puff PuffInside a Puff Puff

20200612_233251_compress62.jpg

20200612_233345_compress65.jpg

Fun Fact
Photographing hot puff puff is an extreme sport because it is far too delicious to resist!

P.S. Have you tried Puff Puff before? 

As always I hope everyone is staying safe!

Abuja, Nigeria
14 comments
Level 10

Re: Making Puff Puff

Hi @Zino_ 

Your puff puff looking very delicious 😍

Love this recipe, it's very easy. 

Anyway, do you like banana flavor?

I think mixing a banana with this mixture will make it more delicious.

Biswajit Chakraborty, Greetings from Dhaka-Bangladesh
Level 8

Thank you @Designer_Biswajit and yes, I like bananas! I think I might just try adding bananas to the recipe maybe as a topping or side sauce.

Connect Moderator

I got very surprised to see this "Puff Puff" snack, @Zino_ because it's very popular in Brazil as well. Here we called it "bolinho de chuva," which means something like "rain cookie." Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to share. Brazilian cuisine was very influenced by African cuisine, so I suppose that probably "Puff Puff" has inspired us to create our "Bolinho de Chuva". This snack brings me great memories of my childhood. Thank you very much for sharing! 🙂 

Level 8

It's amazing how different cuisine have so many similarities in influences and inspiration. We are all really connected by Food and I'm glad that it brought back some fond childhood memories @AlexandreCampbell 

Level 10

This is absolutely yummy @Zino_. As a puff-puff lover, I often have those times I crave to enjoy it. It's a popular delicacy and I can totally relate. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It shows the diversity in the preparation. Awesome!

Isaac
Level 8

I'm always glad to share recipes, thank you for your kind words and it's nice to meet a fellow puff puff lover! @Mayford 

Level 10

Oh wow! They look great @Zino_ ! The perfect size to put one in your mouth at a time!  😋
I hope to try this recipe since I like sweet preparations 😅

Level 8

You're welcome @Avraham_Jurado and yes, it is perfect size for your mouth. Kindly let me know if you try out this recipe. If you have any questions about the recipe you can always ask me.

Connect Moderator

@Zino_ 

Hey the food fantastic looks so yummy and mounthwatering ,, can I taste ahahah