StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

StephenAbraham - A small contributor in this big world. My journey with Local Guides

[This is Part #1 of 3, as I could not fit everything into a single post's 20,000 character limit. Part #2 follows as reply to this post. Part #3 will follow as reply below Part #2]

StephenAbraham - A small contributor in this big world. My journey with Google Local Guides.

"Each Local Guide must submit a post here on Local Guides Connect with an introductory message and more insights into their experience with the program".

Where to begin, really? I don't usually write much about myself, rather more about sharing experiences and useful information with others. This is kind of new for me. So, let me start by giving a million thanks to all my family and friends in the Local Guides community for always being there, always giving time and support, and being a part of my real life, not just in the Local Guides program. Life would be totally different without each and single one of you, truly. Thank you.

About Steve

A little information about myself, Steve. I currently reside in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. And I spend a bit of time there in South India occasionally, as many closest friends are there, whom are like family to me. I work in the technical services industry, and spend time many other different areas providing help to others. My passion outside of work includes travelling and guiding people, meeting and connecting with people, photography, videography, creating 360 tours and 360-video content, technology, food and cooking, and learning languages. Will share more about these somewhere towards the end of this post.

20171012_160600_01-01.jpeg

Personal Local Guides Journey

My journey with Local Guides began about 2 years ago, when I got to know about the LG program online. I wasn't the earliest adopters of the LG program or Google Maps. As a few years back, I was a big Garmin GPS user and was helping to keep and update the local open-sourced maps in the Garmin/Mapsource community in my country. As more and more people move from offline navigation devices to Google Maps, I could really see the benefit of having everyone always connected to the latest information all the time. There and then, this journey with with Google Maps and Local Guides had begun, and I haven't looked back since. Soon after, I started connecting with Local Guides all around the world through Local Guides Connect, it has just been a great online place to meet, know and learn from all the wonderful contributors from all around the world.

In the short 2 years, as a user of Google Maps, it had truly benefited me, especially when I was travelling abroad or locally, or when I was in need of locating certain services or products around an area. The information that I depend on in Maps truly had made my life easier. As part of giving back to the Google Maps community, I contributed slowly but consistently in my free time, and I didn't feel the need to be rushing to get to the next level or focus on getting points. Today as a Level 10 contributor in Maps, I am glad that I was able to give back (and receive in synergy) to all users and contributors of Google Maps. Recently, I was pleasantly surprised and humbled to see that my photo contributions have received over 100 Million views on Maps. I continue to use LG Connect daily as a source to look for and share information about Maps. And whenever possible, I try as best to help others with information in LG Connect as well. I am also a Google Street View Trusted Photographer and continuously contribute to Street View imagery, and an avvid Google Crowdsource contributor, as well as a YouTube content creator.

IMG_20180416_230813.jpg

I always had this in mind, if everyone contributed a little, every single little contribution can truly make the world a better place. Hence my involvement in the "local" Local Guides communities and trying to encourage more new and existing members to continue to contribute to and be involved with the program and Google Maps. This has been my biggest reward of the program, connecting with, meeting wonderful people and helping out community members where I can.

Local Guides Communities

Today I am actively involved almost daily with many of the "local" Local Guides communities in Malaysia and Kerala in South India. Some of the online communities I help out to moderate include the below. (Links included)
Malaysia LG
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) LG
Petaling Jaya (Malaysia) LG
Penang (Malaysia) LG
Melaka (Malaysia) LG
Kerala (India) LG
Malabar (Kerala) LG
Kozhikode (Kerala) LG
Kasaragod (Kerala) LG
Kottayam (Kerala) LG
Thiruvanthapuram (Kerala) LG

Programs and activities the last 12 months

And part of our community efforts to include and involve all members and to empower everyone, we have had many activities, meet-ups and programs. This year has been just incredible, the level of support and motivation that came from many members and leaders in the communities that I have been involved in. The below are just some of the highlight meet ups that I have helped organize and taken part in.

[Jan 25th to Feb 4th, 2018: Kerala Local Guides Meet Up Marathon - 11 Cities/Towns, 11 Days, over 700kms journey] - Below

For me personally, the biggest highlight was our Kerala Marathon Meet Up from Jan 25th to Feb 4th 2018, in the state of Kerala, South India, potentially the first of its kind as far as I could tell. We had local representatives of Local Guides from 11 towns/cities in Kerala organized meet ups in 11 consecutive days where we brought friends and contributors togethers as some of us travelled over 700kms to celebrate with the local contributors who keep Maps up to date in their locality. 11 Meet Ups, 11 straight days, co-organized with local contributors, which had organized their first meet up in the place, and in many locations, bringing local people together for the first time, just and incredible experience! It had really kick started a lot of interest locally to meet up more often, and empowered local contributors there. Words cannot put the event into perspective.

*This story, the Recap and initial post, both were featured in LG Connect, separately.

Steve was the co-host/co-organizer for this Marathon Meet Up
Steve's Recap here: Kerala Marathon Meet-Up Recap
Read the recap where time permits, we had close to 100GB of media of photos, videos, 360 videos throughout the 11 days, some of which are shared in the Recap. The Recap has more detailed information about the local contributors in each town/city.

Kerala LG Marathon.jpg

Watch this video in summary (highly recommended), even until today, I still watch this video in awe. Amazing!

Some photos of the Kerala Marathon meet up event. Below

Day 1: Jan 25, 2018: Thiruvananthapuram Meet-up - Photo below
Amazing meet up at the Kanakakunnu Palace Grounds where we shared knowledge and learnt from each other. Explore the grounds and participated in the cultural program there that evening. Local leader  >bijusreekumar

Day 1: Thiruvananthapuram meet upDay 1: Thiruvananthapuram meet up

Day 2: Jan 26, 2018: Kerala Local Guides Kollam Meet-Up - Photo below
It has been some time since the last meet up. A few of us explored the Kollam attractions, and sat down at the 8-point art cafe for knowledge sharing. Then we went exploring around the lake taking lots of photos and enjoying the sunset. Local leader >ArunMuralidhar

Day 2: Kerala Local Guides Meet-Up KollamDay 2: Kerala Local Guides Meet-Up Kollam

Day 3: Jan 27, 2018: Kayamkulam Meet-Up (first meet up in this town) - Photo below
Our very first Kayamkulam LG meet up with a big crowd of Local Guides. Just amazing to see the group of friends as we explored around the city, visited the memorial museum and had a long walk through the path of Azheekal beach for the sunset. Amazing. Local leader >aslamnazar

Day 3: Kayamkulam Kerala Local Guides meet upDay 3: Kayamkulam Kerala Local Guides meet up

Day 4: Jan 28, 2018: Kottayam Meet-Up, Kerala (first meet up in this town) - Photo below
Our very first Kottayam LG meet up at the temple grounds. A smaller group for this meet up. Knowledge sharing and a side trip to Kumarakom in the evening for photo shoot. Local leader  >cskumaresan

Day 4: Kottayam Local Guides Meet UpDay 4: Kottayam Local Guides Meet Up

Day 5: Jan 29, 2018: Kozhikode Meet Up - Photo below
A very big meet up of Kozhikode LG in Kozhikode beach! Amazing group of people got together to share experiences. Explore the beach, Kozhikode town for photo walk and headed for local snacks in town for a food crawl. Local leader >hyderali

Day 5: Kozhikode meet up. 29 Jan 2018Day 5: Kozhikode meet up. 29 Jan 2018

Day 6: Jan 30, 2018: Palakkad Meet-Up, Kerala (first meet up in this city) - Photo below
Our very first Palakkad LG meet up at the historical Palakkad fort. So much enthusiasm from members attending our first meet up. We explored the fort, shot photos, shared knowledge until sun down. Local leader >NavaneethS

Day 6: Kerala Local Guides in PalakkadDay 6: Kerala Local Guides in Palakkad

Day 7: Jan 31, 2018: Thrissur Meet-Up Kerala (first meet up in this city) - Photo below
Our very first Thrissur LG meet up at the center of Kerala cultural city of Thrissur. Wonderful members shared experiences and had photo walk around the temple grounds. Then proceeded to a food crawl at a city restaurant. Local leader >aachusa

Day 7: Thrissur Local Guides meet upDay 7: Thrissur Local Guides meet up

Day 8: Feb 1, 2018: Kothamangalam Meet-Up Kerala (first meet up in this town) - Photo below
Our very first Kothamangalam LG meet up in Kothamangalam town, many young and energetic Local Guides. We had knowledge sharing session, then proceeded to visit the Ayappan mount for the sunset for photo shoot. Local leader >Rasi

Day 8: Kothamangalam Meet Up Feb 1 2018Day 8: Kothamangalam Meet Up Feb 1 2018

Day 9: Feb 2, 2018: Mulanthuruthy Meet-Up Kerala (first meet up in this town) - Photo below
Our very first meet up here. Our Varghese Jose arranged a Local Guides sharing session for the town of Mulanthuruthy, first get together and amazing knowledge sharing to many new members and contributors. So many new comers benefited from the session. Local leader >Varghese

Day 9: Mulanthuruthy Meet Up Kerala Local GuidesDay 9: Mulanthuruthy Meet Up Kerala Local Guides

Day 10: Feb 3, 2018: Ernakulam Meet-Up Kerala - Photo below
Back to city center. A huge meet up of old friends of Kochi and Ernakulam where we gathered for sharing experiences, exploring the Maneka Broadway market, shot many photos, explored the old markets, synagogue, churches and finally settled down by the Marina to enjoy the sunset. Such an amazing evening. Local leader >Midhunhk

Day 10: Ernakulam Meet UpDay 10: Ernakulam Meet Up

Day 11: Feb 4, 2018: Angamali/Nedumbassery Meet-Up Kerala - Photo below
Our last meet up for this Marathon event at Nedumbassery. Few of us got together for the final meet up, got to know each other, shared experiences, took photos of places, and just spent the evening together. Local leader >Attokkaran

Day 11: Kerala Local Guides Meet Up NedumbasseryDay 11: Kerala Local Guides Meet Up Nedumbassery

[Jan 7th, 2018: Malaysia Local Guides Exploring Cyberjaya and Putrajaya] - Below

Malaysia Local Guides explores Cyberjaya and Putrajaya, twin new-generation cities in Malaysia. This amazing meet up where a few of our Malaysia Local Guides spent a Sunday morning visiting the new garden cities of Cyberjaya and Putrajaya, shooting photos, contributing Street View imagery, editing Maps, learning to golf, shooting 360 video, visiting new places, and included our own Local Guides shaped cake! *This story was featured in LG Connect.

Malaysia Local Guides Golfing for the first time!Malaysia Local Guides Golfing for the first time!

Watch this video in summary

Watch our Local Guides cake being made in hyperlapse!

Hosted by Steve
Steve's Recap here: Malaysia Local Guides Exploring Cyberjaya Putrajaya Recap

Read this recap on how much we managed to accomplished and enjoyed in the single half a day!

=== to be continued ===

[The continuation Part #2 of 3 follows as reply below, as I could not fit everything into a single post's 20,000 character limit]

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
59 comments
Level 10

Re: StephenAbraham - A small contributor in this big world. My journey with Local Guides

=== continuation from above ===

[This is Part #2 of 3, as I could not fit everything into a single post's 20,000 character limit. Part #1 before this post. Part #3 will be in reply after this post]

[Feb 25th, 2018: Penang WW Photowalk & Chinese New Year celebration] - below

It was our very first meet up for the Local Guides community in Penang (Malaysia). Which was organized as part of the Local Guides WW Photowalk. This meet-up event was held in Georgetown of Penang, a Unesco world heritage site, located about 400km from Kuala Lumpur of Malaysia. Georgetown is located on an island, and a different state from the capital of Malaysia. And most of all, this meaningful meet-up also coincided with the Penang state Chinese New Year celebration 2018. We had spent the day exploring the historical city and shot so many photos for Google Maps.

Penang Local Guides First Meet UpPenang Local Guides First Meet Up

Watch this 360-video in summary

Hosted by Steve
Steve's Recap here: Penang WW Photowalk and Chinese New Year celebration Recap

[Mar 17th, 2018: Kuala Lumpur City Guided Walk] - below

Malaysia Local Guides organized another very interesting and informative meet up on the Saturday of 17th March 2018, where we participated in the Kuala Lumpur City Council's Heritage Walk Guided Tour. This free guided walking tour is a service by the Kuala Lumpur City Council working in conjunction with the Tourism Ministry to promote and educate participants on the history of many of the old buildings and areas around the central Kuala Lumpur area. We took part to explore all the old heritage buildings, shot many photos and videos around the location for Google Maps.

Malaysia Local Guides KL Heritage WalkMalaysia Local Guides KL Heritage Walk

Hosted by Steve
Steve's Recap here: Kuala Lumpur City Guided Walk Recap
Read this recap about the old buildings we visited and photos for each location.

[Dec 16th, 2017: Kuala Lumpur WW Foodcrawl] - below

This Kuala Lumpur foodcrawl was arranged as part of the WW Foodcrawl by @BudionoS. We were really excited to have another opportunity to get everyone together again as part of Local Guides in Malaysia. It was set to be in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, in Lorong Tuanku Abdul Rahman and Jalan Masjid India. This is one of the places where lots of people including tourists visit and where one can sample a lot of halal street food. We had good representation from many countries, including Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, United Kingdom, India. We had lots of fun walking, exploring the stalls, taking photos, eating, drinking, chatting with each other, with such excitement and happiness.

2017 Malaysia Local Guides (from left): Fikri, Haseeb, Wong Chee Weng, Jonathan & 2 friends, Nabeel Khan (in red Google t-shirt), Jonathan's friend, Pavel Sarwar,  Stephen Abrahan, Atiq2017 Malaysia Local Guides (from left): Fikri, Haseeb, Wong Chee Weng, Jonathan & 2 friends, Nabeel Khan (in red Google t-shirt), Jonathan's friend, Pavel Sarwar, Stephen Abrahan, Atiq

Watch this video in summary

Hosted by Steve
Steve's Recap here: Kuala Lumpur Food Crawl Recap

[Jan 16, 2018: Google Local Guides and Crowdsource Seminar, East West College Malaysia] - below

We had an opportunity to bring the Google Local Guides and Google Crowdsource program to an International college in Malaysia. >PavelSarwar was key to co-arranging this event, which gave us a first of many potential follow up opportunities to meet local colleges to share the Google Local Guides and Crowdsource program with young college students. We were able to share a lot of information to a over 100 strong young enthusiastic crowd of new contributors. Just sharing our amazing experience and the day's event below.

IMG_20180416_231108.jpg

Co-osted by >Pavelsarwar and Steve
Steve's Recap here: East West College Local Guides and Crowdsource Seminar Recap

[Sept 10, 2017: Kerala Local Guides 3rd meet up, Kochi, Kerala] - below

it was the Sunday after Onam, and it was towards the end of my trip. Varghese had done most of the preparation and the setting up of the event page in LG Connect. Our meet up was at Subhash Bose Park and this meet up we had a great turn out of close to 30 people. We also had our Kerala LG banner signed for it to be featured in Local Guides Summit 17. After getting to know each other, and some knowledge sharing session, we headed off to Fort Kochi for the evening to enjoy the cool breeze and sunset. It was an amazing experience. Here we connected so many new members and in our program had explored and taken photos in places many hadn't been before. My family is here. 

Kerala Local Guides - Kochi Meet UpKerala Local Guides - Kochi Meet Up

Watch this amazing video in summary (thanks to KM Adhil)

Co-hosted by >Varghese and Steve
Steve's Recap here: Kerala Local Guides Ernakulam Meet Up

Read this recap for a lot more wonderful photos of the meet up.

[Nov 5, 2017: Malaysia Local Guides World Vegan Day Meet Up, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] - below

Malaysia Local Guides met up during the Malaysia World Vegan Day celebration to support the cause and Malaysia Vegan Society. Here a few of our contributors met up and got to know many of the vegan food suppliers, got introduced to their products and produces and help with updating some information on Google Maps. It was a real eye opening day to see the wealth of different varieties of vegan vegetarian food and we were able to sample a lot of them.

20171105_123405.jpg

Hosted by Steve
Steve's Recap here: Malaysia Local Guides World Vegan Day Meet up

[July 18, 2017: Local Guides International Get Together, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] - below

A few local guides from a few countries met up in Central Market, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on the evening of 18th July 2017. We had >Shirni (Malaysia/Singapore), >JulienH (Singapore), >AkmalB (Pakistan), >PavelSarwar (Bangladesh) and >StephenAbraham (Malaysia). It was planned as a casual event for friends to meet up and get to know each other better. Eventually turned out to be a nice evening stroll, visiting some attractions and eating lots of food. We took lots of photos and videos for Google Maps.

International Local Guides Meet up: Stephen (Malaysia), Shirni (Malaysia), Pavel, (Bangladesh) Akmal, (Pakistan) Julien (Singapore)International Local Guides Meet up: Stephen (Malaysia), Shirni (Malaysia), Pavel, (Bangladesh) Akmal, (Pakistan) Julien (Singapore)

Hosted by Steve
Steve's Recap here: Local Guides International Meet Up Malaysia

[Nov 30, 2017: Bangladesh Food Crawl, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] - below

This event was organized by >Pavelsarwar to promote Bangladesh food to Local Guides in Malaysia. It was a real eye opening experience for myself.

20180317_131036.jpg

Hosted by >Pavelsarwar
Recap here: Malaysia Local Guides Bangladesh Foodcrawl

[Nov 30, 2017: Malaysia Local Guides Foodcrawl Quill City Mall, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] - below

This event was organized by >Haseeb to join in the Local Guides photography month of November. We met up in the Quill City mall to help shoot some photos and had a wonderful dinner at one of the restaurants there. It was a great opportunity to get to know each other and to explore the mall.

Shelfie Walk, From left to Right, Zul, Nabeel, Atiq, Myself, Akmal & StephenShelfie Walk, From left to Right, Zul, Nabeel, Atiq, Myself, Akmal & Stephen

Hosted by >Haseeb
Recap here: Malaysia Local Guides Quill City Mall Shelfie Walk & Foodcrawl

[July 18, 2017: Malaysia Local Guides Meet Up visiting Ikea] - below

Our first few initial meet ups and my first time meeting up with >AkmalB and >PavelSarwar. It was when Pavel first arrived in Malaysia. We went exploring Ikea, and spent time getting to know each other.

Hosted by Steve
Pavel's Recap here: Malaysia Local Guides exploring Ikea

[April 7, 2017: Malaysia Local Guides Cyberjaya Food Crawl Meet Up] - below

This event was organized by >aziphm to bring together Malaysia Local Guides as one of first few meet ups. To explore the wonderful food opportunities of city of Cyberjaya in Malaysia. We had a good crowd of members here.

DSC07651.JPG

Hosted by >Aziphm
Recap here: Cyberjaya Foodcrawl

I have been involved with at least a few other non-official meet ups between Local Guides in Kerala, Malaysia and other places that are not listed here. The last 12 months have been nothing short of amazing to be able to be a part of this worldwide family, and to be able to connect and contribute to Google Maps and more importantly friendship between friends and family in our worldwide community.

=== to be continued ===

[The continuation Part #3 of 3 follows as reply below, as I could not fit everything into a single post's 20,000 character limit]

Level 10

Re: StephenAbraham - A small contributor in this big world. My journey with Local Guides

=== continuation from above ===

[This is Part #3 of 3, as I could not fit everything into a single post's 20,000 character limit. Part #1 and Part #2 are before this post]

Local Guides Worldwide Summit 2017

The chance to participate in the Local Guides worldwide summit has always been the dream for most Local Guides. I had tried very hard for 2016 but wasn't successful. And as anyone who wouldn't give up, I had tried harder for 2017. So, it was such a great honor and humbling experience to be selected as a participant for the Local Guides Worldwide Summit 2017 in San Franciso 2017. It was my first ever visit to a Google's office. I was so excited to have been selected and my first trip to San Francisco ever. To be able to meet all the wonderful amazing contributors as well as all the Google managers was just such an amazing experience. Here are a few photos to remember the event.

IMG_20180416_231611.jpg

Amongst all the excitement, my special thoughts has always stayed with the local LG community to make sure as many of them are with me at least in thought and spirit throughout Local Guides Summit 17. We had our Kerala Local Guides signed banner through many photos in Local Guides Summit 17, as well as probably the only community that have received close to 50 pieces of Local Guides Summit17 postcards from San Francisco.

Kerala Local Guides signed banner flying strong.
IMG_20180417_000332.jpg 

LGSummit 17 postcards for community members back home

IMG_20180416_231424.jpg

Local Guides and Activities and other active online contributions

One of my passion has always been to be able to help visitors find and explore the most exciting places. And I do that all the time, whenever friends visit the country where I am. Here are a few of the many posts about wonderful places I have personally brought friends exploring as a Local Guide.

24 hours in Melaka (part 1)

24 hours in Melaka (part 2)

Trying traditional pastries in Melaka

Visiting Little India in Kuala Lumpur for Diwali

What I am focusing on, now and the near future

This year ongoing I have been having many ideas in my mind. Besides continually contributing, getting involved in communities and encouraging others to contribute to Google Local Guides, Maps, StreetView and Crowdsource. Here are some of my focus on going.

- Continue to update and improve Google Maps and Google StreetView

- Encourage more people to join as Local Guides contributors

- Continue to build and improve on high quality 360 walking tours, to bring everyone to many attractions via VR headsets at home
- Continue to develop content for 360 video and photos
- Learning and incorporating new technologies for VR and AR into online resources including Google Maps and Street View and Virtual Tours
- Developing online free language resources to help foreign visitors and workers in my country
- Continue to develop my online food and cooking resources so everyone can make their own healthy delicious meals
- Travel more to connect with all the wonderful people around the world

Post in summary

It has been a truly long post, a snapshot of me and my involvement in the last 12-24 months with the Google Local Guides program and where to head to next. There was just so much exciting things to share and I really could not make it shorter. Thanks for taking time to read this. Just a big shout out and appreciation to the wonderful friends and family of the Kerala Local Guides and Malaysia Local Guides as well as all the Google Managers and Connect Moderators and all other Local Guides friends. Reading my own post really brings back all the nostalgic feelings and memories of our time we spent together. I wish I could mention every single name here, rest assured all of you are very close at heart, always.

I really hope to be considered for the Local Guides Connect Live Summit 2018 in San Francisco this year.  

Catch everyone in the next post!

Steve

====

[This is the end of Part #3 of 3. Part #1 and Part #2 above before this post]

Level 10

I don't usually like to tag Google managers as everyone is so busy with so much of work. But after spending a few hours writing my recap for the last 12 months, for the Connect Live Summit 2018 application, I just could not contain all the nostalgia, excitement and warm memories. So, just a few tags.

There was so much to write, I could not fit everything I wrote into a single message (20,000 character limit).. had to split into 3 parts of the same message. 

Thanks for all the support for our communities, programs and effort, and hope to be considered for this year's Connect Live in SF. ❤️

Level 10

Tagging a few of the hundreds of friends and family members of Kerala Local Guides... thanks for always being there. 

@ArunMuralidhar@Sariga@JoseVarghese@AmithES@FuvadShah@Sudhi@MelbinM@antosmaman@bijusreekumar@Hyderali

and everyone else

Nammude kudumbam, nammude rajyam, nammude logam, nammude Keralam... 

012.jpg

Level 10

Level 8

@StephenAbraham You're a true hero in this community. Great post and great contribution. 

Cheers from Kerala Local Guides,

Fuvad

Level 9

Wow @StephenAbraham, meeting you was one of the highlights for me at LGSummit17.

Way to go man! 

Level 10

Hi @StephenAbraham I will not wrong if i called you meet up king.

You shared a great journey with us,

You are such a great guy and legend local guide,

You was the first local guide,who I met personally,in my local guides journey,

It's a great post with lots of memories and photos,

Best of luck,best regards and have a great time

Level 8

Very nice and good job @StephenAbraham

All the best.

Cheers