Justine2807's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[RECAP] Monumental Accessibility for #Wheelchairs #LocalGuidesConnect - Sydney Australia 2017

[RECAP] Monumental Accessibility for #Wheelchairs #LocalGuidesConnect - Sydney Australia 2017

This was a very interesting day. To start I asked the Train Station master, Tess, at Milsons Point train station about accessibility to the harbour bridge and she explained to me there is no way for wheelchair users to cross the bridge at all. I found out from a local named Peter later that there is building plans approved by council and locals have been sent information that the council have plans to put in an elevator to be completed by mid 2018. So that was the day for wheelchair access across the bridge, however prams and wheelchairs can access if you lift them up the stairs.Looking back at Circular Quay from Sydney Harbour BridgeLooking back at Circular Quay from Sydney Harbour Bridge

Milsons Point Station is wheelchair accessibleMilsons Point Station is wheelchair accessible There is an elevator access at Milsons point train station. 

Access to walk or Cycle the bridge but no wheelchair yet. Plans to build elevator by mid 2018Access to walk or Cycle the bridge but no wheelchair yet. Plans to build elevator by mid 2018

Following is an animation of all the accessibility in places on this day- 

GLGC Monumental Accessibility DayGLGC Monumental Accessibility Day

As you can see from this animations above. It was a good day going across the bridge there was access for prams if you lift them up the stairs. Check out here a few hotels like The Glenmore and The Harbourview Hotel  under the bridge and in the Rocks that were excellent for wheelchair accessibility with Lifts, ramps, spaced areas for easy access. So it was awesome.

My Maps Capture the GLGC Monumental AccessibilityMy Maps Capture the GLGC Monumental AccessibilityHarbour View Hotel excellent wheelchair accessibityHarbour View Hotel excellent wheelchair accessibityThe Glenmore excellent wheelchair accessibilityThe Glenmore excellent wheelchair accessibility

Then spent some time wandering the wonderful Markets I saw a few people with prams and wheelchairs at the rocks and there are lots of places with excellent accessible entrances and toilets as well as lifts and the set up in all the places I saw was made for easy access for wheelchairs and prams and all with special needs are catered for. The Rocks Markets Crowded but set up for easy wheelchair accessibiltyThe Rocks Markets Crowded but set up for easy wheelchair accessibilty

There was easy access for wheelchair and prams in the markets and in the shopping centres, plus hotels and restaurants. Soooo all went really well.

Thank you for your kindness. Have a super week ahead all. Cheers.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
31 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: [RECAP] Monumental Accessibility for #Wheelchairs #LocalGuidesConnect - Sydney Australia 2017

@Justine2807, awesome recap!

I can tell you as a mum, there is no way I would be able to push up a pram (stroller) by myself up those Bridge Stairs steep steps / ramp. You don't think about things like this until it affects you personally. 

In Sydney do you have disability access curbs?

Cheers,

Karen

@Justine wrote:

This was a very interesting day. To start I asked the Train Station master, Tess, at Milsons Point train station about accessibility to the harbour bridge and she explained to me there is no way for wheelchair users to cross the bridge at all. I found out from a local named Peter later that there is building plans approved by council and locals have been sent information that the council have plans to put in an elevator to be completed by mid 2018. So that was the day for wheelchair access across the bridge, however prams and wheelchairs can access if you lift them up the stairs.Looking back at Circular Quay from Sydney Harbour BridgeLooking back at Circular Quay from Sydney Harbour Bridge

Milsons Point Station is wheelchair accessibleMilsons Point Station is wheelchair accessible There is an elevator access at Milsons point train station. 

Access to walk or Cycle the bridge but no wheelchair yet. Plans to build elevator by mid 2018Access to walk or Cycle the bridge but no wheelchair yet. Plans to build elevator by mid 2018

As you can see from this animations above. It was a good day going across the bridge there was access for prams if you lift them up the stairs. Check out here a few hotels like The Glenmore and The Harbourview Hotel  under the bridge and in the Rocks that were excellent for wheelchair accessibility with Lifts, ramps, spaced areas for easy access. So it was awesome.

My Maps Capture the GLGC Monumental AccessibilityMy Maps Capture the GLGC Monumental AccessibilityHarbour View Hotel excellent wheelchair accessibityHarbour View Hotel excellent wheelchair accessibityThe Glenmore excellent wheelchair accessibilityThe Glenmore excellent wheelchair accessibility

Then spent some time wandering the wonderful Markets I saw a few people with prams and wheelchairs at the rocks and there are lots of places with excellent accessible entrances and toilets as well as lifts and the set up in all the places I saw was made for easy access for wheelchairs and prams and all with special needs are catered for. The Rocks Markets Crowded but set up for easy wheelchair accessibiltyThe Rocks Markets Crowded but set up for easy wheelchair accessibilty

There was easy access for wheelchair and prams in the markets and in the shopping centres, plus hotels and restaurants. Soooo all went really well. Thank you for your kindness. Have a super week ahead all. Cheers.

View solution in original post

Level 8

Re: [RECAP] Monumental Accessibility for #Wheelchairs #LocalGuidesConnect - Sydney Australia 2017

@Justine2807 very nice to share this with us yes I think infrastructure would be taking place this is great news

@Justine wrote:

As you can see from this animations above. It was a good day going across the bridge there was access for prams if you lift them up the stairs. Check out here a few hotels like The Glenmore and The Harbourview Hotel  under the bridge and in the Rocks that were excellent for wheelchair accessibility with Lifts, ramps, spaced areas for easy access. So it was awesome. Then spent some time wandering the wonderful Markets I saw a few people with prams and wheelchairs at the rocks and there are lots of places with excellent accessible entrances and toilets as well as lifts and the set up in all the places I saw was made for easy access for wheelchairs and prams and all with special needs are catered for. There was easy access for wheelchair and prams in the markets and in the shopping centres, plus hotels and restaurants. Soooo all went really well. Thank you for your kindness. Have a super week ahead all. Cheers.

for our two-wheel friends 

Level 10

Hi @DavidTito

Thank you for your kind comment. 

You are very helpful, I appreciate all you do for me and many people here with your kind support.

Best wishes

@Justine2807

Level 8

@Justine2807 it would be nice to visit Sydney last time I was I was switching plans looks nice

Connect Moderator

Hi @Justine2807,

your recap is simply GREAT. Identify all the accessibility way is so important. In my mind the next step is to add a weelchair in the options of Google Maps, together with Car, Public Transportation and Walking.

That moment would be a great experience for all the Local Guides, in mapping every ramp, every road, step by step. (Just in my mind for now, but...)

Congratulations again, I'm happy to see recap like this.

Sincerly

Ermes

Level 10

Congratulations for the part of the great work @Justine2807.

Nice recap and interesting animation. Wise persons really care about the peoples who really need our help. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Level 9

Very very nice meetup and Recap @Justine2807 this is great two in one Meetup :-))))

Keep it up and keep shining Justine ;-)))

@TraciC will love this recap from Sydney Australia 😄

Connect Moderator
Solution

@Justine2807, awesome recap!

I can tell you as a mum, there is no way I would be able to push up a pram (stroller) by myself up those Bridge Stairs steep steps / ramp. You don't think about things like this until it affects you personally. 

In Sydney do you have disability access curbs?

Cheers,

Karen

@Justine wrote:

There was easy access for wheelchair and prams in the markets and in the shopping centres, plus hotels and restaurants. Soooo all went really well. Thank you for your kindness. Have a super week ahead all. Cheers.

Level 10

Hi @ErmesT

Thank you for your always awesome support. I totally agree with you in putting a notification in the Google Maps and am sure the Google Maps team have no doubt got it all in order! This months accessibility project is an outstanding part of many similar projects being undertaken in many different areas, and Google Maps is putting people first as always. 

Seeing in the process of this event in each place there are so many people who are aware and working to make our cities, in every business, a better place for all people. There are so many people doing the right thing. It is very encouraging. Even where here there was no access that was reasonable, knowing it is a valuable monument, then speaking with a local and finding out that the council has also already got plans to improve the situation. The government is working to improve all areas for accessibility. So in that it is all great to know that an important area is being worked on and improved for everyone concerned. 

Thank you again for all your super support Ermest, not only for myself but for this whole program. 

Shine on champion. 

Best wishes

@Justine

Google Local Guides Connect Monumental AccessibilityGoogle Local Guides Connect Monumental Accessibility

Level 10

Hi @AkmalB

Thank you so much for your kindness and support. It sure is excellent to know there are so many wise people in our wonderful world. People who can help us as much as we can help them is what it is all about. There should always be and there is always a way to make I.T right. We are all working together to make things better for all mankind, all people in all places it must be made accessible for everyone. This is where there are so many people in all types of industries all working to help in this area and many areas that need attention. 

It was super to see the men from the Fire Department as you see in my "interesting animation" as Fire Fighters In Training to Climb to raise funds for Motor Neurone Disease and all in truth for what you say about wise and kind people helping each other and help those who really need I.TAccess to walk or Cycle the bridge but no wheelchair yet. Plans to build elevator by mid 2018Access to walk or Cycle the bridge but no wheelchair yet. Plans to build elevator by mid 2018

It was a very interesting day. Thanks again for your comments.

Best wishes

@Justine