Christina-NYC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to take photos for nature lovers

Whether you’re discovering a new park, hiking a scenic trail, or finding the perfect campsite, an excellent way to learn more about the area around you is to explore with your camera. It’s also a great way to try out new photo composition techniques and help guide others with the photos you share on Google Maps. Here are some ways you can use photography to help other nature lovers enjoy your favorite outdoors spots.

1. Photograph early in the morning or early in the evening

Discover the “magic hour” of photography! Early morning or early in the evening is the time of day when sunlight is softer, and you can more easily capture the color in a scene. If you photograph under the midday sun, there will be harsh shadows and the colors in your photos won’t be as vivid.

Caption: A photo of Yosemite National Park in California. (Local Guide Dave Holden)Caption: A photo of Yosemite National Park in California. (Local Guide Dave Holden)

2. Use the rule of thirds

The rule of thirds is an essential photography compositional technique and can help you create an interesting, well-balanced photo. Imagine that what you see through your camera lens is divided equally into nine sections, formed by four intersecting lines. Studies have shown that the when viewing a photo, people’s eyes tend to fall on the area where the lines intersect, rather than the center of the image. You can make your photos more dynamic by placing your subject on one of the intersecting lines or in one of the squares.

Caption: An illustration of the rule of thirds.Caption: An illustration of the rule of thirds.Caption: A photo of a snowy landscape with trees in Vermont, with a grid overlay. (Christina Domingues)Caption: A photo of a snowy landscape with trees in Vermont, with a grid overlay. (Christina Domingues)Caption: A photo of trees and Mount Kilimanjaro in Amboseli, Kenya, with a grid overlay. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of trees and Mount Kilimanjaro in Amboseli, Kenya, with a grid overlay. (Getty Images)

3. Lead the eye into the photo through an “S” curve

To make your nature photography more compelling, find the “S” curve in the scene. Once you start to look for them, you’ll see them everywhere! You can find them in pathways, rivers, or in the curve of a road going through a landscape. They’ll add depth to your photograph and also help visually lead the viewer’s eye into the image.  

Caption: A photo of a winding road through the countryside in Peak District National Park in England. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a winding road through the countryside in Peak District National Park in England. (Getty Images)

Caption: A photo of a curving road with snow covered mountains in Zurich, Switzerland. (Local Guide Urs Bolt)Caption: A photo of a curving road with snow covered mountains in Zurich, Switzerland. (Local Guide Urs Bolt)

4. Find a good foreground

Another way to add depth and lead a viewer into your image is to add something in the foreground. The foreground is anything that lies between you and your main subject and could be an interesting element in the location, such as some flowers, rocks, a tree, or anything else that is close to you. It can also help frame your subject and enhance the composition.

Caption: A photo of flowers and a lake in Yoho National Park, BC, Canada. (Local Guide Tzachi Danon)Caption: A photo of flowers and a lake in Yoho National Park, BC, Canada. (Local Guide Tzachi Danon)

Do you love exploring the outdoors? Share your nature photos and tell everyone in the comments: What can other Local Guides do to help you know where the best nature spots are?

158 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to take photos for nature lovers

Thanks @Christina-NYC for this post

Springtime in the sibillini Mountains, a month ago

Sibillini Mountains - Panorama - Local Guide @ermestSibillini Mountains - Panorama - Local Guide @ermest

Swan, in the Sile River Park

A path over the clouds

Ermes

Level 10

thanks a lot for open interesting topic . when i try to captured location all type of picture entry to exit all , and focus natural view , avoid human in the picture

Yosemite National Park

Rajkandi Natural Reserve Forest

Muir Woods

Sundarban Mangrove Forest

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

Very interesting tips @Christina-NYC! They will be very useful for next time I go photo-hunting 🙂

Thanks a lot for sharing them with us!

@LucioV @Justine2807 @Jesi you might find this helpful!

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

I always enjoy seeing your photos @ErmesT! Thanks for sharing them 🙂

@ErmesT  escribió:

Thanks @Christina-NYC for this post

Springtime in the sibillini Mountains, a month ago

Sibillini Mountains - Panorama - Local Guide @ermestSibillini Mountains - Panorama - Local Guide @ermest

Swan, in the Sile River Park

A path over the clouds

Ermes

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Waowow @Christina-NYC I like your valuable post. Thanks a lot! for your helpful post sharing with us. Best of Luck!!

Sun setSun set

Natural BeautyNatural Beauty

Beautiful pondBeautiful pond

Water mirrorWater mirror

Best Regards

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 10

@Christina-NYC Great tips showing what makes a photo technically correct and most especially more attractive to the eyes. 

Love for Food and Landscape photography
Level 7

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful for me as a beginner.

Level 8

Thanks for sharing this!  Photography is really simple but difficult to do well.  The small and simple rules you lay out are all important when constructing a shot.  Being a beginner with google local guides just taking pictures of parks for example has taught me a lot about how to take a well constructed photo.  

Level 9

Amazing pictures @Christina-NYC and thank you for the tip,sure I will adding it in my next trekk.

Regards,

Shravan