Scobert's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Using Google Maps for Emergency Response for Volcanic Eruption In Hawaii

Hi everyone, 

Over the last week, there have been volcanic fissures erupting in the Puna district of Hawaii. I am watching this very closely since I have some property near this region. 

During this time I have been using Google Map (Map Maker) to plot the locations of lava eruptions and other information.  I think this is a great use of this technology since other maps lack imagery and topographic data (ArcGIS Platform).  Please feel free to share and take a look!

Hawaii, USA
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Using Google Maps for Emergency Response for Volcanic Eruption In Hawaii

@Scobert I just had a Look at your My map impressive I think you should add some Polygons I can help you with that, I am a Mymaps expert, And fissure through from 17 to 19 

are the hot areas? correct

@ErmesT

@Scobert wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Over the last week, there have been volcanic fissures erupting in the Puna district of Hawaii. I am watching this very closely since I have some property near this region. 

During this time I have been using Google Map (Map Maker) to plot the locations of lava eruptions and other information.  I think this is a great use of this technology since other maps lack imagery and topographic data (ArcGIS Platform).  Please feel free to share and take a look!

View solution in original post

Level 9

That's great! This map should be shared in your area! This is a very good example on how we should use the technology.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Scobert A Warm Welcome in Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides.

I love your post, and the beautiful Mymaps that you made (please do not confuse it with Map Maker, that ended a long time ago).

My subject for Connect Live 2018 is "Mapping in emergency areas", that will move you also to Maps of earthquake in central Italy I find your post very appropriate, and I really believe that Google Maps have an unexpressed power in this matter.

Together with @DavidTito I am working on the Mymaps of plastic pollution, that is part of Local Guides clean the world - A Local Guides project

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know how to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes

Level 8
Solution

@Scobert I just had a Look at your My map impressive I think you should add some Polygons I can help you with that, I am a Mymaps expert, And fissure through from 17 to 19 

are the hot areas? correct

@ErmesT

@Scobert wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Level 6

Hi David, 

Let me know what your email is and I will share access to you.  I just updated the map with the active fissures since its a dynamic situation. 

Do you know if it is possible to bring in raster services from Google Earth engine?  I was hoping I could find some Landsat or sentinel imagery and add it to the map. 

Cheers!

Level 8

@Scobert number 1 we are not allowed to post emails address on Connect @ErmesT will "quote"  this rule is regularly mentioned, But never the less I can still help you here,

@Scobert wrote:

Hi David, 

Let me know what your email is and I will share access to you.  I just updated the map with the active fissures since its a dynamic situation. 

Do you know if it is possible to bring in raster services from Google Earth engine?  I was hoping I could find some Landsat or sentinel imagery and add it to the map. 

Cheers!

I have a video for this  

Level 8

@ErmesT let's see how he goes from there after he's watched my video 

@ErmesT wrote:

Hi @Scobert A Warm Welcome in Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides.

I love your post, and the beautiful Mymaps that you made (please do not confuse it with Map Maker, that ended a long time ago).

My subject for Connect Live 2018 is "Mapping in emergency areas", that will move you also to Maps of earthquake in central Italy I find your post very appropriate, and I really believe that Google Maps have an unexpressed power in this matter.

Together with @DavidTito I am working on the Mymaps of plastic pollution, that is part of Local Guides clean the world - A Local Guides project

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know how to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes