cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Reflecting on a great 2017 for accessibility progress

@TraciC wrote:

LGTeam.png

I was wrapping up things before the holiday break when our team shared the above image on our social media channels with the caption "2017 was a big year! In September alone, #LocalGuides answered over 51 million questions related to #a11y. That's a lot of people helped." This isn't news to me of course given September's efforts and our recap post which shared this, but it made my heart swell with pride because so many of you, after doing such amazing things earlier in the year, showed up to support accessibility: something to help those who need it, to get around more easily! 

As you know, pride is such a strong feeling and once again (I do this a lot) reflected on the past year for a bit on my own and decided to come over to Connect to share with ~451,000 of my closest Local Guides friends around the world. 😉

We did a LOT of cool things this year (like mapping places in Nigeria to support victims of rape, helping people take better photos to reaching new levels) Whether it was a "global" effort across the program or something we did on our own (like volunteering during one of the many meet-ups or putting small businesses on the map in our area) we are changing the world and it's SO powerful! 

The year was not without challenges in our own worlds with natural disasters, national tragedies and in our shared world that includes product and program changes, but the one thing that ties all these challenges together is this: we did it together! When you needed support, you reached out to your friends you've made through Local Guides. When you were frustrated, you shared it here on Connect and if we could, we helped to fix it or to tell you we are working on it. 

I wanted to thank you all for giving me this incredible sense of pride and a goofy smile when I tell my friends about my work, because they know it's not just about my work because I'm also a Local Guide through and through myself. Together, we are improving the map and sharing wonderful experiences here on Connect. 

You're welcome to share your own post or comment here on what you enjoyed about 2017 as it relates to being a Local Guide. I do encourage everyone, however, to follow Local Guides on our official channels  as we share our favorite moments of 2017 (TwitterFacebook, and Google+and to share your adventures anywhere on social media using #LocalGuides as I will be doing so over my holiday break. 🙂 

I look forward to great things in 2018, so see you then and thank you! 

@TraciC, this note is so heartfelt and so touching. It is truly amazing to really think way back to January and to think about the impact of the Local Guides program across the world. Sometimes it is so astonishing to see the contributions of some individual guides - thinking about that to the magnitude and strength in numbers of the program, it is important for each guide, no matter the level, to understand the importance and worth of their contributions. Thank YOU and thanks to all the Googlers who make this program what it is, day in and day out. Thanks to you all - sincerely wishing each and everyone of you a happy new year and an amazing 2018!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

Hi @TraciC

Merry Christmas to all the people that is participating in this thread. 

I'm reading this in Christmas, and I think there is not a better moment for a so important post about helping others. I have been so lucky, during 2017, to find, during a meet-up, an amazing place accessible to wheelchairs. 

I am so proud that it was also featured in the Local Guides page in G+, and shared in many communities. I like to share here with you https://plus.google.com/112966085781821576048/posts/2byi2LG3uPK

I want also mention wonderful accessibility meetup by @OSAMA

@AlejandraMaria

And the "wheelchairs race" video by @KimberlyAnnG

List is of course not exhaustive 

I think we can do more, and we will 

I wish to all of you a wonderful 2018, working together for a better world 

Ermes 

Level 9

Level 9

I have liked the accessibility campaign and doing a meet-up about it, as @ErmesT has mentioned and @OSAMA has linked (you are very kind guys, thanks).

Also my way of seeing the world has changed, I have in mind the criteria established in the guide that Google Maps has made available to us. I see a wheelchair parking and immediately upload it to Maps... And try to mention somenthing in my reviews.
One daughter of one Ayamonte Local Guides that uses a wheelchair, came to me and told me that we have to make a video about de University of Huelva because is a public building and isn´t as accessible as should (in Spain we have specifics laws about it). Of course I said yes because her point of view goes farther than a law.

Impressed me that she really thinks that this Google Maps Campaing can make some changes in the Society...

So @TraciC, your team go in a great good way. Congratulations.

Level 9

I agree with you @ErmesT that you have to be very proud of finding this amazing place wheelchair accessible in the middle of the Nature. For sure that thanks to the diffusion you are making many people can enjoy it.

Congratulations!

Level 9

@OSAMA, you made an incredible meet-up. Many of us enjoy to do it together because of the energy that is generated in the World Wide meet-ups. That time was a mix and your result was great :))))

Level 8

@OSAMA those guys are so strong energy not disability this a good slogan wow that first guy like wow power lifter 

@OSAMA wrote:

Thank you very much big bro @ErmesT for mention @AlejandraMaria meetup and my meetup :)))

[RECAP] Accessibility / Accesibilidad Muelle Carabelas (Ayamonte Local Guides)

MEET THE CHAMPIONS 🎖🥇🥇🎖️ , JORDAN ACCESSIBILITY RECAP BY OSAMA 💪

Level 8

@AlejandraMariaI love your presentations  and thanks @OSAMA for posting them

@AlejandraMaria wrote:

@OSAMA, you made an incredible meet-up. Many of us enjoy to do it together because of the energy that is generated in the World Wide meet-ups. That time was a mix and your result was great :))))

Level 10

Bonjour @TraciC et à vous guides locaux,

Je suis impressionné par les chiffres. Quel bel engagement des contributeurs mondiaux.

J'ai rejoins les guides locaux fin 2016. Et depuis beaucoup de choses on changé pour moi. Pouvoir discuter et partager avec des guides du monde entier sans avoir la barrière de la langue. C'est tout simplement génial.

Apprendre et découvrir jours après jours sur le forum, apporter son point de vue, ses solutions ou ses critiques constructives quel joie de voir vous tous tellement engagés.

J'ai hâte d'aller à un meet-up pour vous rencontrer physiquement.

2017 a été riche en conseils et en convivialité sur le forum. Avec une merveilleuse réactivité de nous tous ici.

J'espère que Google va nous apporter son lot de surprises pour contribuer avec envie.

Une amélioration que j'ai vraiment apprécié c'est la possibilité de téléverser des vidéos

Bonne fin d'année et bonne vacances à tous.

Level 6

Eu iniciei as contribuições em novembro de 2017, foi pouco tempo mas minha cidade já tem muitos pontos de interesse.

Tenho uma meta para 2018, estou no caminho para ter a oportunidade de compartilhar com todos.

Obrigado!

Servidor Público