NandKK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

My drive storage is full, How can I free up my Google drive?

Hello #LocalGuides

Please explain how can I free up my Google drive. 

As you were aware that you can only use 15 GB of your drive. And after uploading almost 5000 photos my drive is 100 % full (having 7 GB personal/Gmail data exclusive of Google photos). 

Now Google is asking 1.99 $ per month for expanding the drive space which is too costly for me.

Isn't there any "extra" space for #LocalGuides or at least concessional rate in purchasing the plan??????

Kindly also suggest me how can I Free up my drive without losing any photos.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: My drive storage is full, How can I free up my Google drive?

Hi @NandKK

With the end of the free storage promotions, one of the most common question in Connect is: How can I use my space in Google drive?

Of course, with a quick search you will find all the answer, but for an easy reference I will try to summarize in here the most common questions.

The biggest mistake that I did, when I got the free storage, was to save a copy of all my photos in Google Drive. Loading photos in Drive is using your storage space

With a correct setting, you will be able to store:

• Photos, in Google Photos, at High Quality (16MP), for free (unlimited storage)
    • Videos, in Google Photos, at High Definitions (1080P), for free (unlimited storage)

This is the storage I'm actually using:

Total storage.JPG

Most of the space is used for documents that I have in Drive. As you can see from the details, I am not using space for photos

storage details.JPG

And I have more than 7450 files (photos and videos) stored

foto totali.JPG

So, don't worry about space for photos in Google Maps. Make the correct setting, and you will have no problem in storage due to Google Maps or Youtube videos

For more information, here are the links to the help pages:

1. How Google Photos works with Google Drive
  2. Check your Drive storage
  3. Info about upload size
  4. Clear Google Drive space & increase storage
  5. Google photos setting

Hope this can help you

Happy Mapping

Ermes

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @NandKK

With the end of the free storage promotions, one of the most common question in Connect is: How can I use my space in Google drive?

Of course, with a quick search you will find all the answer, but for an easy reference I will try to summarize in here the most common questions.

The biggest mistake that I did, when I got the free storage, was to save a copy of all my photos in Google Drive. Loading photos in Drive is using your storage space

With a correct setting, you will be able to store:

• Photos, in Google Photos, at High Quality (16MP), for free (unlimited storage)
    • Videos, in Google Photos, at High Definitions (1080P), for free (unlimited storage)

This is the storage I'm actually using:

Total storage.JPG

Most of the space is used for documents that I have in Drive. As you can see from the details, I am not using space for photos

storage details.JPG

And I have more than 7450 files (photos and videos) stored

foto totali.JPG

So, don't worry about space for photos in Google Maps. Make the correct setting, and you will have no problem in storage due to Google Maps or Youtube videos

For more information, here are the links to the help pages:

1. How Google Photos works with Google Drive
  2. Check your Drive storage
  3. Info about upload size
  4. Clear Google Drive space & increase storage
  5. Google photos setting

Hope this can help you

Happy Mapping

Ermes

Level 10

Thank you sir @ErmesT@@@your help

I changed my setting to high quality which reduced all 8 GB of my Google photos data.

Thanks again 

Connect Moderator

Hi @NandKK

I'm happy that you have found this to be helpful. 

Hope you will help me sharing this information when you will meet with similar needs. 

I've made a post, for everyone to use it. /Help-Desk/How-to-use-your-space-in-Google-drive/

I'm marking my post as a solution, for helping others with the same problem. 

Ermes 

Level 8

Thank you for indicating how to adjust photo setting quality.

The last three weeks couldnt understand how to fix my google photo issue, chewing 10gb of my quota data 15gb. Knew it was ny google map 2500+ photos, I am now happily converting as high quality to free my quota data up.

Many thanks.