NandKK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The Holy Land of Devbhoomi Dwarka

Hello to All,

Recently I visited the Devbhoomi of Dwarka, which is one of the foremost Chardhams, four sacred Hindu pilgrimage sitesThe Holy place is located in the northwestern part of India in the state of Gujarat on the western shore on the right bank of the Gomti River. The city is also considered one among the seven most ancient religious cities in the country. It was the ancient kingdom of Krishna.

Dwarka Railway StationDwarka Railway StationDwarka Railway StationDwarka Railway Station

The city's name literally means the "gateway to heaven" in Sanskrit. Dwarka is also known to as "Mokshapuri", "Dwarkamati", and "Dwarkavati". It is also mentioned in the ancient prehistoric epic period of the Mahabharata. Bhagwan Krishna had reclaimed 96 square kilometres (37 sq mi) of land from the sea to create Dwarka. Krishna conducted the administration of his kingdom from Dwarka while residing with his family in Bet Dwarka.The city's Dwarkadhish Temple dedicated to Krishna was originally built around 2,500 years ago, but was destroyed by many Muslim / Foreign invaders and subsequently rebuilt in the 16th century. As an important pilgrimage center for Hindus, Dwarka has several notable temples, including Rukmini Devi Temple, Gomti Ghat, and Bet Dwarka. There is also a lighthouse at the land end point of Dwarka.

Dwarkadhish Temple

Considered a holy city, Dwarka is a well known for its temples and as a pilgrimage centre for Hindus. The Dwarkadhisa Temple, also called as Jagat Mandir, located in the heart of Dwarka. The temple, facing west, is above mean sea-level and is 2,500 years old and is where Krishna built his city and a temple. It is a five-storied edifice built over 72 pillars. The temple spire rises to a height of 78 metres (256 ft), and a very large flag with symbols of the sun and moon is hoisted on it. 

Dwarkadhish templeDwarkadhish templeDwarkadhish templeDwarkadhish temple

Gomti Ghat

Gomti Ghat consists of steps leading to the Gomti River, which is also a holy place for pilgrims to take a dip in the river, before visiting Dwarakadish temple. The ghat has a number of small shrines dedicated to the Samudra (God of the Sea), Saraswati (Goddess of wisdom) and Lakshmi (Goddess of wealth). 

Sudama SetuSudama SetuIMG_20180429_122223973.jpgSudama Setu & Gomati GhatSudama Setu & Gomati GhatView of Jagat TempleView of Jagat TempleSudama SetuSudama Setu

Rukmini Devi temple

Rukmini Devi temple, Dedicated to Rukmini, Krishna's chief queen, is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) away from Dwarka. The temple is said to be 2,500 years old, but in its present form it is estimated to belong to the 12th century. It is a richly carved temple decorated with sculptures of gods and goddesses on the exterior with the sanctum housing the main image of Rukmini. Carved naratharas (human figures) and carved gajatharas (elephants) are depicted in panels at the base of the tower.

Rukmini TempleRukmini TempleRukmini TempleRukmini Temple

Bet Dwarka

Bet Dwarka, an island in the Arabian sea off the coast of Dwarka. Considered the original residence of Krishna, Bet Dwarka was the old port during the ancient times of Krishna before the Okha Port was developed in Dwarka. The temple built here is credited to the religious Guru Vallabhacharya. Rice is the traditional offering here to the deity as it is believed that the sage Sudama offered rice to his childhood friend Krishna. There are also smaller shrines on Bet Dwarka which are dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu, Hanuman and Devi. According to a legend, Vishnu killed the demon Shankhasura on this island. Hanuman Dandi temple is another notable temple located in Bet Dwarka, 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) away from Dhwarkadhish Temple, Bet Dwarka.

Nageshvara Jyotirling Mandir

Nageshvara Jyotirling Mandir is a temple dedicated to Shiva, and one of the twelve Jyotirlingas (meaning radiant sign of The Almighty) is deified here in a subterranean cell.

Nageshwar jyotirlingNageshwar jyotirling85 feet tall Shiva Statue85 feet tall Shiva StatueIMG_20180429_145020899.jpg

Dwarka Beach 

my familymy familyIMG_20180429_123541893.jpgIMG_20180429_123552307_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgDwarka BeachDwarka Beach

Dwarka, Gujarat, India
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Holy Land of Devbhoomi Dwarka

Jay dwarkidhish...

Nice post dear @NandKK

Thanks for sharing this beautiful pictures and information. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

@NandKK

very nice post. In fact for me Hinduism is something totally exotic. I have no real knowledge about, but with your post you took me in your world. I deeply appreciate this.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

Hello @NareshDarji

Jai Dwarkadhish bhai

It was really a great experience visiting there.

Level 10

Hiiiiiiiiiii @TorM

yeah, i agree with you, hinduism might be foreigner for you. But it is everything for its believer like us. 

Level 8

Thank you @NandKK

I like the photos and history of this place. Nicely captured.

Thank you.

Level 10

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii @Badruddeen

thank you for your compliment. 

Level 10

Hi @NandKK,

Thanks a lot for sharing Dwarka. I really enjoyed reading your post. You have made me travelling to India with your beautiful pictures and detailed explanations.

Dwarka is a great place as there are historical monuments and also lovely beatches.

Thanks and see you around

JUl

Level 10

@Julien44

Indeed Dwarka is a great place. If you ever come to India, visit Dwarka also. 

Level 8

Great photos, @NandKK. Thanks for sharing! 🙂