StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Happy Chinese New Year 2019

[Photo above] Chinese New Year Celebration Street Performance[Photo above] Chinese New Year Celebration Street Performance
It's the time of the year again. Chinese New Year also known as the Chinese Lunar New Year or the Spring Festival (春节 Chūnjié). The most important and largest festival celebrated by all people of Chinese descent and ethnicity, regardless of location or religion. Chinese New Year is celebrated not just by the Chinese in China, but by all of Chinese descent, and it's likely that almost every country in the world could have at least a small Chinese community. Chinese New Year also marks the start of a new year in the traditional Chinese calendar. 

[Photo above] Malaysia Local Guides during Chinese New Year 2018 celebration in Penang[Photo above] Malaysia Local Guides during Chinese New Year 2018 celebration in Penang
This year in 2019, Chinese New Year fall on 5th Feb 2019. The main celebration covers 15 days from the first day until the 15th day (actually total 16 days if we count the eve of New Year which is also very important). This festival also marks possibly the largest migration of people for an ethnic celebration because it is customary for everyone who can travel to head back to their family/parent's home for a family reunion. This is especially true in China where many from the main cities return to their villages and trains, transport are filled up to the brim.

[Photo above] Red Lanterns decorating Chinatown Kuala Lumpur[Photo above] Red Lanterns decorating Chinatown Kuala Lumpur
[Photo above] Handmade decorations from red packets[Photo above] Handmade decorations from red packets
[Photo above] Big drums and decorations in the street in Penang[Photo above] Big drums and decorations in the street in Penang
One may observe that there are a few things associated with Chinese New year.
- Each year, one of the different 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac takes over the theme of the year.
- Chinese New Year is always associated with the color red. People wear red clothes. There are red cloths, decorations and banners mounted in front of homes. There are red fire crackers set off during celebrations. Most events have very loud sounds. Which all goes back to the legend on how ancient villages in China frigthened off the mystical "Nian" monster which was afraid of the color red and loud noises. Hence part of the reason why the celebration is also called 过年 (Guo Nian or cross over year/nian), which sounds like cross over the time of the monster Nian.
- Red packets 红包 (Hóngbāo) usually containing money are given to children/unmarried people by married one as a sign of giving and receiving good luck and fortune.
- Lots of food, and almost always with a lot of excess which is almost mandatory because it signifies abundance and wealth and having more than needed. This is only practised during the new year.
- Lots of cultural activities usually with lots of loud sounds such as Lion Dance, Dragon Dance, setting off fire crackers (some countries do not allow fire crackers because of risks involved, so many would just play a recording of firecrackers), all going back to the legend of frightening off the Nian monster.
- Everyone wishing each other
新年快乐 (Xīnnián kuàilè) Happy New Year
恭喜发财 (Gōngxǐ fācái) Wish you prosperity and wealth

[Photo above] Hong Bau Red Packet with money and the 12 Chinese Zodiac animals[Photo above] Hong Bau Red Packet with money and the 12 Chinese Zodiac animals
Different communities may have different practices during the 15 days. Where we are in Malaysia, this is the usual common practice. 
Most family members would start journeying back to their home town 1 or more days before the Eve of Chinese New Year. And decorate houses in full red.
Day 1 Eve - Every family member gather together in the ancestral home or parent's home to have the first Reunion Dinner for Chinese New Year, known as 团年饭 (Tuán niánfàn)
Day 1 (First day) - Getting up early in the morning, and wear red clothes. Wishing parents and family members first thing in the morning. Also time when parents and elders give Red packets 红包 (Hóngbāo) to children and unmarried younger people.
Then followed by a family lunch together, with a lot of food.
After lunch, usually it is time to go out to visit relatives.
Dinner on the first day could be at home or joining a relative's family for reunion.
Day 2 (Second day) - Getting up early in the morning, and wear red clothes again. Then heading out to visit close friends
Day 3-14 - Depending on how much holidays one have, the main celebrations starts with a high from the first day, and tapers down towards the 14th day.
Day 15 (Lantern Festival) 元宵节 Yuánxiāo jié - This is the final day of the Chinese New Year celebration. This is also another fairly important event which I will detail in a separate post.

[Photo above] Traditional Lion Dance during Chinese New Year[Photo above] Traditional Lion Dance during Chinese New Year
One of the main highlights of Chinese New Year is most certainly the food. Chinese culture deems important during Chinese New Year to have lots of food, and almost always with a lot of excess which is almost mandatory because it signifies abundance and wealth and having more than needed. This of course depends on the financial situation of the family, but even in poorer families, there should be excess of at least a bit of food after meals, even if just some rice etc.
Some of the main food dishes that is associated with Chinese New Year (not exhausive list). Many of these food have intrinsic meaning in Chinese culture.
- Nian Gau (Sticky rice cake) (年糕 Niángāo), which signifies every year to have some growth and improvement
- Dumplings (饺子 Jiǎozi) and spring rolls (春卷 Chūnjuǎn), which signifies wealth and prosperity
- Noodles, usually very long uncut ones, which signifies long life and heatlh.
- Fish, which signifies abundance
- Shrimp/Prawns, which signifies happiness, laughter
- Yee Sang (Yui Sheng), which is a salad mixture and raw fish, which signifies unity, togetherness
- Many other vegetables, meats and local delicacies 
- Mandarin Oranges and Pineapples, which signifies wealth and prosperity
and many more.
[Photo above] A simple reunion dinner at my family's home[Photo above] A simple reunion dinner at my family's home
[Photo above] A traditional Yu Sheng dish, which gets mixed up by everyone to symbolize unity and prosperity[Photo above] A traditional Yu Sheng dish, which gets mixed up by everyone to symbolize unity and prosperity
[Photo above] Steamed Fish for abundance[Photo above] Steamed Fish for abundance
[Photo above] Dumplings for prosperity[Photo above] Dumplings for prosperity
[Photo above] Prawns for happiness and laughter[Photo above] Prawns for happiness and laughter
[Photo above] Abacus Seeds for wealth and abundance[Photo above] Abacus Seeds for wealth and abundance
[Photo above] Meat and Sea Cucumber for abundance[Photo above] Meat and Sea Cucumber for abundance
[Photo above] Food and more food for abundance and prosperity[Photo above] Food and more food for abundance and prosperity

Read more about our Malaysia Local Guides activities during Chinese New Year time

Our previous Malaysia Local Guides Chinese New Year 2018 meet-up in Penang

Our previous Malaysia Local Guides Chinese New Year 2019 meet-up in Chinatown Kuala Lumpur

Our upcoming (join us!) Malaysia Local Guides Chinese New Year 2019 meet-up in Penang
RSVP Below

So, here, I take this opportunity with my other Local Guides in Malaysia, wishing everyone a very Happy and Properous Chinese New Year. Have a safe journey home and back.
新年快乐万事如意 Xīnnián Kuàilè Wànshì Rúyì
(Happy New Year and may a million things go well in your favor)

Note: All photos, videos in this post and links are self captured.

Share your own photos and experiences below in reply 🙂

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
52 comments
Level 10

Re: Happy Chinese New Year 2019

Wishing all who celebrate including all our Google managers and moderators, Connect Moderators, and all Local Guides a most happy and prosperous Chinese New Year. 

新年快乐万事如意 Xīnnián Kuàilè Wànshì Rúyì
(Happy New Year and may a million things go well in your favor)

Level 10

Thanks for sharing interesting photos and detailed explanation @StephenAbraham . I have seen some TV coverage of the Chinese New Year celebrations and it look magnificent. My wife and I hope to join festivities in the future.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 8

Thanks a lot @StephenAbraham !

Though you, I am getting more familiar with Malaysia everyday!

Google Moderator

Hey @StephenAbraham ,

That is something else! The Chinese New Year is so colourful and festive, I have never seen anything like it. I wish I could visit China some day and I would want to see the New Year's celebrations.

We have a big event on New Year's Eve as well but it lasts only one day and perhaps the morning after. We have a lot of food including banitsa with good wishes. Visiting the family and seeing a lot of friends during that time is the best thing ever. It is that time of the year, when everybody is home to see their beloved ones. Sometimes presents are included, especially for the kids.

On New Year's Eve at midnight we listen to the President’s Speech and after that we dance Dunavsko horo - a traditional folk dance. One thing you should be careful about is there are a lot of fireworks and piratki - they are small fireworks with the size of cigarettes, which make loud noise when they explode. Piratki are thrown everywhere from the balconies and even people on the streets through them just for the fun. It gets noisier with every hour leading up to midnight.

Needless to say, people get drunk but they are happy and full with hope for the upcoming year!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you @StephenAbraham  for this detailed and very interesting description of the 2019 Chinese New Year!

"Each year, one of the different 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac takes over the theme of the year."

So which animal is celebrated this year? 

Does this animal have any particular characteristics that, in some way, can influence the year 2019?
I'm very curious!!!

Thanks again also for the beautiful photos!!!

Bye,

David

Level 8

wow... amazing!.. i also celebrated and enjoyed this day in my country Bangladesh!

Level 9

Happy happy Chinese New year bro @StephenAbraham  wish you all the best and year full of happiness and success 🎉

Former Google Contributor

Hi @StephenAbraham,

Thank you so much for this amazing post! It's a perfect explanation of the Spring Festival.

Happy Chinese New Year to you and all the Chinese communities around the world! I hope the Year of the Pig is very happy, prosperous and successful for you! 新年快乐!身体健康,心想事成,万事如意!

Have fun at the Meet-up! I'm looking forward to see your recap. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Happy New Year to everyone who celebrates it! 

I learned a lot from your post, @StephenAbraham, thank you for sharing it. I hope your meet up goes well, have fun!

I'm going to go to Buenos Aires Chinese New Year celebration and hopefully eat some Chinese food, the food in your photos look too good!