ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

G€t Paid for Our Contribution$? What could happen if that were the case?

Local Guides is a global community of explorers who write reviews, share photos, answer questions, add or edit places, and check facts on Google Maps” (from: Overview)

We are volunteers, and choosing to participate in the program does not change our possibility of using Google Maps.

However, more and more often I read posts in which some Local Guides write suggesting that Local Guides be paid, that is, they receive an economic reward for their contributions in Google Maps. Personally I am against it, and I believe that the goodness of our content is linked to the fact that, since we are not paid, we are free to share real information.

But for a moment I tried to imagine a version of Google Maps in which our contributions were financially rewarded by Google Maps.

Caption: A photo with banknotes from different countries of the world laid out on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the question "What could happen if that were the case?"Caption: A photo with banknotes from different countries of the world laid out on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the question "What could happen if that were the case?"

The meaning of Being Paid

According to Wikipedia, "A payment is the voluntary tender of money or its equivalent or of things of value by one party (such as a person or company) to another in exchange for goods, or services provided by them, or to fulfill a legal obligation. The party making a payment is commonly called the payer, while the payee is the party receiving the payment". In this case, talking about contributing to Maps, I think we can say that we are providing a service

A service that will consequently have to be defined within a contract, or an agreement between Each contract serves to define the terms of the service, those that must be fulfilled in order for the service to be defined as performed, and also the rules of the service itself. I tried to imagine that the terms and rules were the ones defined in:

The terms and rules serve to define what the payer expects, and what is defined as non-payable.

How much should we get paid?

What economic value do you think our contributions should have?

How should they be calculated?

Caption: A photo with coins from different countries of the world inside a bowl placed on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the question "How much should we get paid?"Caption: A photo with coins from different countries of the world inside a bowl placed on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the question "How much should we get paid?"

I've read many assumptions in Connect in the past:

• Based on our level of Local Guide.
  • Based on our points.
  • Based on the number of views of our contributions.
  • Based on the numbers of positive vote (likes) received

I find the first two proposals very bad, as they encourage contributors to add a large number of contents, often of poor quality, and the final result would be a deterioration in the quality of Google Maps contents.

I already like the proposal based on the number of views/likes more, because one of the factors that increases views is the quality of the content.

If I had to choose a calculation method I would like it to be more elaborate: the quantity of contributions multiplied by a quality index calculated from the relationship between views, likes and contributions.

However, I must also say that this method also has its limits, because those who live in a big city would have an advantage (more possibilities to contribute, more views, more likes) than those who live in a small country village.

How much do you think we should be paid?

The implications of getting paid

Getting paid to do something is different than doing it as a volunteer, and I think doing it for a reward would make me feel less free. However, there are other implications as well

Caption: A photo with coins from different countries of the world stacked on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the phrase "The implications of Getting Paid"Caption: A photo with coins from different countries of the world stacked on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the phrase "The implications of Getting Paid"

The first implication of having a contract and being paid for it is that the contract must be respected, in the first place, by the service provider: the Local Guide.

This obviously raises a question: what happens if the Local Guide provides content that does not comply with the requirements?

We know the current implications: depending on the violations, the contents can be removed and, in some cases, even the Local Guide can be removed from the program.

But let's try to imagine what the violation would entail if there were a contract that provides for a payment for a service? The risk could be that of being sued by Google for non-compliance with the contract and for having, with our contributions, damaged the image of the customer (Google).

The second implication in my opinion would be "the end of a free App". We currently have a free and ad-free App that is constantly updated thanks to the contributions of Local Guides like us. In the past, before Google Maps, I paid €100 each year for two updates, one every 6 months, of my navigation system. If Google were to pay 150 million contributors based on their contributions, a free app would no longer be viable. I see three options:

• A free App with advertising
  • An annual subscription
  • A pay as you go subscription

In your opinion, which of the three solutions would be preferable? Or do you have another one?

Share your opinion

Of course that's just my opinion, and at Connect over six years I've heard a lot of other opinions.

Caption: a photo with banknotes and coins from different countries of the world inside a wooden box placed on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the phrase "$hare Your Opinion"Caption: a photo with banknotes and coins from different countries of the world inside a wooden box placed on a map. Above the title of the post "G€t Paid for Our Contribution$?" and below the phrase "$hare Your Opinion"

This is obviously a fictional post, the rules themselves prevent this from happening. However, after reading this post, I would also like to know your opinion, and read an answer to the questions written in the post.

I want to close with a post from an old friend, @davidhyno , a passionate Local Guide who, in 2017, wanted to share his point of view with us with: Local Guides makes we rich?.

His post helped me reflect and grow as a Local Guide, so today I want to thank him

Treviso, TV, Italia
83 comments
Level 10

Re: G€t Paid for Our Contribution$? What could happen if that were the case?

Hola @ErmesT que gran publicación. Más clara es imposible y muestra magníficamente es espíritu de la Comunidad.

Leyendo tu posteo, aparte de que, comparto totalmente tus pensamientos, creo que perder la libertad de ser libres, (no es un juego de palabras), significa someterse a ataduras "que nos harían perder el punto de enfoque solidario y  contribuyente. El objetivo de esta Comunidad es ayudar, (con aciertos y a veces, también algún error involuntario) contruibuir, opinar siempre de forma sincera y objetiva. El recibir una remuneración también nos haría, lastimosamente, subjetivos, ya que cada acción estaría dejaría de ser espontánea y pasaría a ser calculada, mercantilizada.

Creo que la palabra VOLUNTARIADO, todavía, no tiene ni la concepción ni la aceptación que le corresponde realmente.

Que equivocados los que piensan en que está haciendo "UNA ACCION SOLIDARIA NO REMUNERADA", frase que escuchamos bastante seguido en la prensa, los noticieros...

Una acción solidaria, es eso, una acción solidaria, punto.

Lo lamentable es que millones de millones hacen algo, esperando ser pagos por ello y obtener alguna ventaja económica.

Saludos desde Uruguay 🇺🇾🇺🇾🇺🇾

P.D. dejaría esta frase como muletilla de LG o LGC.

#Si no quieres hacer algo por los demás, no lo hagas, es mucho más digno que hacer algo por interés económico#

Carlos Alonso Giménez
Level 10

@ErmesTI completely agree with you. Those who thinks about 'paid', need not contribute in Google maps.

SANJAY KUMAR DATTA
Connect Moderator

Hola Carlos, @CAAG1959 

You know already very well what you mean, and I fully agree with you.

However I would like to invite the ones who think that we should be paid to think about the meaning of what they are asking, and the implications of what they ask for.

Most of the people who ask for being paid is contributing in a very bad way, so my question is: are you sure that you would like to have an agreement about that? Do you really know what it means?

I would like them to think 🤔, and possible to understand 

Level 10

Ynt: G€t Paid for Our Contribution$? What could happen if that were the case?

Hi @ErmesT you touched on a great topic. lately there are people who have opened many threads about this. There are people who don't know that this is a volunteer community. money is not everything in life. can helping a person be measured in money? never. actually I imagine that commenting on maps is something for money And I would never comment. Because the income to be earned from there would bother me. Think of the businesses that buy comments. When I look at the comments, if the place has received comments with fake accounts, I never go. Because the quality is declining for me. I never want to see the article why money is not paid in this forum.

Connect Moderator

Hi @ErmesT 

I cannot say more after reading your post than 

""Your post is in my bookmarks right now, just ready for everyone that ask for prizes and money. So my next reply will be : "welcome to Connect, please read this post by @ErmesT 

A clear explanation of how we feel for being Local Guides, part of this wonderful community, and proud to help, improving the informations in Maps."" 

Maybe you remember above quote, which you wrote in Comment of this post of @davidhyno , but it was so perfect that I couldn't stop myself to copy and paste here 😄 and I will share this post to everyone who will ask benifits being local guides.

Simply perfect post 👌

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

I agree with you, and specially this:

Most of the people who ask for being paid is contributing in a very bad way

There's a group on Facebook and I see this every day. Even though I've tried to tell them and encourage them about this forum... Anyway. 

I have a close example and is this, I'm a scouts leader, and we do this voluntarily. If we started to get paid, this will be much different. Of course at first everyone will be much better because it becomes a job. But eventually things can get tricky.

I'm not 100% against the idea of getting paid but not by using Google maps. If you want to create "influencers" in other platforms to promote this, great. But no within google maps. Let's enjoy one of the few free apps that do not have ads.

#Uruguay 
Connect Moderator

Comparto totalmente lo indicado por ti @ErmesT , yo también estoy totalmente en contra de que lo que realizamos en Google Maps sea rentado, ya tuvimos experiencias no rentadas pero que se usaban de la misma manera con los me gusta en Connect, y lo único que incentivaba es el contenido de baja calidad.

Creo que el echo de que nuestra actividad sea amateurs en Google Maps hace que podamos ser mas libres en nuestras opiniones y sugerencias, por supuesto siempre dentro del respeto y las buenas costumbres de convivencia.

Pero no hay dudas de que cuando profesionalizamos la actividad nuestra perspectiva cambia nuestra manera de decir las cosas. Sino veamos los medios de opinion, hoy son muy pocos los medios de comunicación masivos que sean o que tengan opiniones sin editorial del medio que los contiene. Es muy difícil para un opinado o editorial que exprese algo sin que el dueño del medio no lo avale o soporte. Por esos ser un Local Guides y opinar en Google Maps es diferente.

No discuto que en ocasiones desearías que te brinden un apoyo a tu desempeño y actividad que realizas tanto en Connect como en Google Maps, pero de nuevo eso solo tiene que ser en un aliento a tu esfuerzo, o en un comentario de apoyo por tus contribuciones Y NO en monetario (dinero) o especias (regalos especiales), es verdad que también Alphabet lucra con los aportes que nosotros realizamos en Google Maps, pero desde mi punto de vista es un ganar/ganar para un usuario como yo de Google Maps, ya que el poder de información que me da cuando yo realizo viajes es incalculable. Por todo eso creo que tiene que seguir siendo no rentado, un servicio amateurs.

Gran post Ermes, gracias por compartir.

Saludos Farid.

Level 10

@FaridTDF que buena respuesta. Compartida por supuesto totalmente y déjame decirte algo, la palabra Amateurismo, quedó allá en el tiempo, por suerte hay muchas excepciones, pero creo que somos la última generación que la tiene clara.

Saludos desde Uruguay. 🇺🇾🇺🇾🇺🇾

Carlos Alonso Giménez
Level 10

@ErmesT diste en el clavo "saber lo que significa y que implica ser remunerados" ese es el asunto.

Saludos desde Uruguay 🇺🇾🇺🇾🇺🇾

Carlos Alonso Giménez