JaneBurunina's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Paralympics Games - Table Tennis

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently-abled persons and profile one location with accessible trails. 

Look out every week for this enlightening post.

The Paralympic Games are the most significant sporting event in the World that truly promotes social inclusion, contributing to the realization of the rights of persons with disabilities.

Caption: Table Tennis, Women, Class 11 - Golden Medal: Natalia Kosmina (Ukraine), Silver Medal: Kristina Semenetska (Poland), Bronze Medal: NG Mui Wui (Hong Kong), 2016 Summer Paralympic in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Pic Courtesy: ITTF)Caption: Table Tennis, Women, Class 11 - Golden Medal: Natalia Kosmina (Ukraine), Silver Medal: Kristina Semenetska (Poland), Bronze Medal: NG Mui Wui (Hong Kong), 2016 Summer Paralympic in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Pic Courtesy: ITTF)

Table Tennis has been included in the Paralympic program since the very first Paralympic Games in Rome in 1960. It is one of the oldest Paralympic sports. 

Paralympic Table Tennis is one of the sports that arose with the aim of integrating people with any kind of motor disability into society. 

Nowadays, Table Tennis for athletes with disabilities includes more than 500 thousand players around the world, and about twenty different tournaments in this sport are held annually. Their number is steadily increasing.

Regulations and rules

Athletes with disabilities of all categories, with the exception of the visually impaired, can participate in two categories - standing and sitting. Men and women compete individually, as a pair and as a team. The Paralympic Games program includes two types of competitions - individual and team. The game consists of five games, each played up to 11 points, the winner is the athlete or a pair of athletes who wins three out of five games.

The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rules apply to Para Table Tennis competitions with minor changes for wheelchair athletes regarding the inning rules. 

The ITTF oversees  the International Paralympic Table Tennis Committee (IPTTC), which is affiliated with it.

Classification

Athletes are divided into ten classes, depending on their functionality. There is Class 11 for athletes with an intellectual impairment. The classification is carried out after testing the athlete's motor abilities, assessing his muscle strength and locomotor limitations, as well as balance in the wheelchair and the ability to hold the racket. The smaller the number, the more limited the athlete's movements. In classes 1 - 5, wheelchair athletes compete, in classes 6 - 10 - standing athletes.

Table Tennis has been taking part in sixteen Paralympic Games in a row and, moreover, is the most popular sport of the Paralympic. 

Paralympic Movement in Ukraine

Ukraine successfully participated in 6 Summer and 5 Winter Paralympic Games. The Ukrainian Paralympic team first competed in the 1996 Paralympic Games in Atlanta (USA) and has won 1 Golden, 4 Silver and 2 Bronze Medals. 

Since that time Ukraine has not missed a single Paralympics. The Ukrainian Paralympic team has won 464 medals in total (374 in Summer Paralympic and 90 in Winter Games).

Paralympic Medals of Ukraine in Table Tennis:

• 2000 Sydney (Australia) Ukraine ranked #21 with 1 bronze medals (Ivanova Nataliya)
  • 2012 London (Great Britain) Ukraine ranked #18 with 1 silver medal (Khodzynskaya Antonina)  and 3 bronze medals (Popov Mykhaylo, Klymenko Yuliya, Safonova Victoriya)
  • 2016  Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) Ukraine ranked #4 with 2 gold medals (Kosmina Natalya, Didukh Viktor and Nikolenko Maksym) and 1 bronze medal (Lytovchenko Maryna).

We are proud of our athletes!

Caption: Viktor Didukh (Ukraine) had his Paralympic debut in the 2016 Summer Paralympic in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He did help Ukraine take home Gold in the team competition of Para Table Tennis. (Pic Courtesy: IPC)Caption: Viktor Didukh (Ukraine) had his Paralympic debut in the 2016 Summer Paralympic in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He did help Ukraine take home Gold in the team competition of Para Table Tennis. (Pic Courtesy: IPC)

Paralympians are Ambassadors of Changes. Outstanding performances of Para athletes inspire and admire the whole world, changing the idea of ​​many people about where the limits of what is possible for human endeavour. 

Did you have an opportunity to visit Paralympic Games performances? 

What do you know about the Paralympic Movement in your country? 

If you have a question, suggestion or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read last week's roundup article here  and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Ukraine, Kyiv Oblast, Ukraine
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Paralympics Games - Table Tennis

@JaneBurunina  Very appreciated.  I have found some new things from this writing! 

kEEP WRITING ABOUT Accessibility!

Happy Guiding! 

Level 9

You are very detailed @JaneBurunina about the paralympics games. The post are clear and understandable. I never known about the rules of the Paralympics games before I read this post. Congrats to Ukrainian Disabled Champions so they made a great reputation to Ukraine in this kind of games.and they also inspired the other disabled . Thanks for your concern about those people.

Very respectfully

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THOSE ON THE SAME MISSION AS YOU
Osama Zaina
Connect Moderator

Thank you @ShafiulB for your kind words! Also you could check the list of our other posts Accessibility Uncovered series. I believe you'll like them!

Connect Moderator

@OSAMA_ 

I learned a lot about Paralimpic Games and sports when was writing this post. And I was totally impressed by the courage and heroic efforts of Ukrainian Para athletes and Paralympians from other countries! It's unbelievable! 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @JaneBurunina for sharing about Table tennis in Paralympic games.

Love to know about Ukranian heroes by your post 👍

It's really a informative post in all aspects.

Thank you 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Great post @JaneBurunina really informative,I loved the moment in the video when the winner receives a yellow card haha.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit Paralympic games.

In Mexico it is so sad that athletes don't receive enough support from the government.

Connect Moderator

This is an amazing post @JaneBurunina ! Thanks for sharing this ! It really inspired me to watch this sport ! The details mentioned are intersting!  Thanks Jane !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Level 7

This is a great and insightful article @JaneBurunina. Thank you for sharing.

I wondered how they would pair up competitors but you covered that in the 'Classification' section. Does this mean that a class 2 athlete, for example, can only compete with a fellow class 2 athlete?

Connect Moderator

Hi @LaloPadilla,

Sorry I missed your comment before. 

I like this moment in the video as well. Indeed Paralympic athletes are great examples of courage and an uncompromising will to win!