Corrie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: What is the best garden you have ever been to?

Amazing garden photos. Makes me want to go visit every one of these beautiful places!

For me, one of my favorite gardens is a one within the larger main city park, called Central Park, in San Mateo, CA, south of San Francisco.

Central Park is in the middle of downtown San Mateo, which also has a Rose Garden, a 50+ year old Japanese Tea Garden that was designed by the landscape architect who designed the Imperial Gardens in Tokyo, the city's Community Center that has Japanese-inspired architecture with its own Japanese garden filled with well-loved Bonsai trees, the Kohl's Pumphouse Garden and the location for the San Mateo Arboretum Society.

The smaller gardens are supported by locals, who are garden enthusiasts who volunteer their time, energy and money, for residents of San Mateo and anyone who visits Central Park.

The Rose Garden is filled with well-tended roses, some with fragrance. It's quite spectacular to walk around during summer months. Every once in a while you do see a wedding ceremony happening in the gazebo.

Rose Garden within San Mateo, CA's Central ParkRose Garden within San Mateo, CA's Central Park

The San Mateo Arboretum Society is the dedicated volunteer non-profit organization that supports the special gardens in the city and offers gardening workshops to the community. One of the ways it raises money to pay for their programs and teach people how to garden is what the volunteers grow and sell from their greenhouse and plant nursery. 

Inside the San Mateo Arboretum GreenhouseInside the San Mateo Arboretum Greenhouse

Visiting the San Mateo Arboretum Society's plant nursery is always a calming, fun influence. The volunteers can answer just about any plant question (or know someone who can answer). Anything you buy goes back to the community in terms of horticultural programs. 

It's fun to walk around the nursery and look at all the plants for saleIt's fun to walk around the nursery and look at all the plants for saleAt the Kohl's Pumphouse Garden, across from the Rose Garden, was the pumphouse, built between 1890 and 1910, and the pony shed, are the only surviving buildings that pre-date the city’s acquisition of the Central Park property. It's a popular, tranquil place to wander around in and you can see why this place is often rented out for parties when the weather gets warm and sunny.

One of the views of the Kohl's Pumphouse Garden, Central Park, San Mateo, CAOne of the views of the Kohl's Pumphouse Garden, Central Park, San Mateo, CA

Central Park, overall is flat, and accessible to everyone, disabled and parents with strollers.  There is both street parking and a parking garage under the Central Park's tennis courts (which also has a ramp that comes in handy if you use a wheelchair or push a stroller).

And, the best part of all, it's all free, even visiting the Japanese Tea Garden, which also can be rented (for a nominal fee) for an outdoor wedding.

Cheers,

Karen

San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide

Connect Moderator

Hi @KarenVChin, your post is beautiful. I like the garden that you show us, and I like the way you compose your post, guiding us through the beauty and the social utility of this place.
Thanks

Connect Moderator

Thanks @ErmesT. I like to find and go to places that serve multiple purposes and does benefit the community as a whole!

Connect Moderator

En Buenos Aires, en la CABA, existe un lugar que visite hace varios años llamado el Jardín Japonés, es un lugar idílico, casi único, donde todo te da un sentimiento interno de paz y tranquilidad, su creación data de 1967 por la colectividad japonesa en honor a la visita de los actuales reyes japoneses. Todo en el es muy delicado, nada fuera de lugar, zen. Las fotos son pre era digital.

5EFF58F0-5F41-4FD3-904E-C1F8606523DF.JPG

6E4EE689-AFFD-48C9-A1BE-F0A1064CFC6C.JPG

43964D79-CB3D-419A-93FE-02666422514F.JPG

2E1D61DB-1FD2-4ED5-8EA8-7FC2AA9A94F2.JPG

C7758311-0736-4D5B-BDA7-FE6B4CB05FC3.JPG

0E8DF77B-9986-4287-8B28-A3EACA1A5D65.JPG

Level 5

Re: Awesome "Brindavan Gardens"

@SUMIRA,

Fantastic!

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 9

Thanks, @ErmesT. really this place is beautiful with lots of butterflies. I travelled a bit from London by train to capture those. I do photography and that's my hobby 🙂

@Zeds @FaridTDF Thank you 🙂

Level 5

@FaridTDF,

Amazing mate.....great photos!

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 7

challengeweek18.jpg

I can't choose between the Keukenhof garden in the Netherlands where I took many photos in many years, like the orange flower one above.

The Keukenhof has every year a different theme, this year it is Dutch design

challengeweek35.jpg

Or the most Northern botanical garden of the world in Akureyri where I took the photo above.

Both are amazing gardens, but are very different.

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

@Corrie Thanks for share this topic...

@IlankovanT @FaridTDF @Zeds @AnuradhaP @SajolKDas You all Share the real world, its a garden.