Badruddeen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

I ended my meet-up with a cat. [Recap] Cultural Show - Male’ Maldives

Hello Local Guides

This meet-up was part of the International Day Of Culture || Let’s spread the cultural diversity around us to the globe..

Meeting point - Hukuru Miskiy

We planed to explore Friday Mosque on this day. Since we could not make it on 19, 20 or 20th we decided to host it on 25th May 2018.

I arrived the meeting point 15 minutes before the scheduled time. The weather was bad and no one turned up (And after getting participants communication that they could not participate due to bad weather) I decided to complete the meet-up just by myself. So here we go. 

A little bit history about Friday Mosque (Hukuru Miskiy) (Text about the Friday Mosque by LonelyPlanet)

This is the oldest mosque in the country, dating from 1656. It’s a beautiful structure made from coral stone into which intricate decoration and Quranic script have been chiselled. Non-Muslims wishing to see inside are supposed to get permission from an official of the Ministry of Islamic Affairs. Most of the staff are officials of the ministry, however, and so if you are conservatively dressed and it's outside prayer times, you may well get permission to enter on the spot.

Coral Stone WallCoral Stone Wall

Even though an ugly protective corrugated-iron sheet now covers the roof and some of the walls, this is still a fascinating place. The interior is superb and famed for its fine lacquer work and elaborate woodcarvings. One long panel, carved in the 13th century, commemorates the introduction of Islam to Maldives. The mosque was built on the foundations of an old temple that faced west towards the setting sun, not northwest towards Mecca. Consequently, the worshippers have to face the corner of the mosque when they pray – the striped carpet, laid at an angle, shows the correct direction.

Friday mosque minaret called MunnaaruFriday mosque minaret called Munnaaru

Entrance to the main mosqueEntrance to the main mosque

Overlooking the mosque is the solid, round, blue-and-white tower of the munnaaru – the squat minaret. Though it looks a bit neglected rather than particularly old, this minaret dates from 1675. To one side of the mosque is a cemetery with many elaborately carved tombstones. Stones with rounded tops are for females, those with pointy tops are for males and those featuring gold-plated lettering are the graves of former sultans. The small buildings are family mausoleums and their stone walls are intricately carved. Respectably dressed non-Muslims are welcome to walk around the graveyard; you don’t require permission for this. (Text about the Friday Mosque by LonelyPlanet)

Coral headstone scribed  with QuranCoral headstone scribed with Quran

Tomb of Amina Rani KilegeTomb of Amina Rani KilegeI peeped inside to see what's inside thereI peeped inside to see what's inside thereFound this guy sleeping in =side the tombFound this guy sleeping in =side the tombWhen I sneezed he woke up. :)When I sneezed he woke up. 🙂

So due to the bad weather I ended up my meet-up with this cat in Friday Mosque. 🙂 I thoroughly enjoyed my meet-up though my friends could not join me.

Please see the Album - [Recap] Cultural Show - Male’ Maldives.

Hope you will enjoy this.

Malé, Maldives
20 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: I ended my meet-up with a cat. [Recap] Cultural Show - Male’ Maldives

@Badruddeen, fantastic!

hope to see the album soon as well.

Different view on Maledives!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

very nice place @Badruddeen 🙂

i can read quran on photo 🙂

Level 8

Hi @TorM

Album updated. Enjoy

Thanks

Level 8

Hi @OSAMA

Recap album updated.

You can have a look now.

Thanks and cheers

Level 8

Hi there friends

Kindly check out my recap.   I ended my meet-up with a cat. [Recap] Cultural Show - Male’ Maldives

@AnitaAO @RashmiM @Justine2807 @Fahid @U-royFelixA @Julien44 @NareshDarji @KarenVChin @SoniaK @MahabubMunna

Thanks a million 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Level 9

Hello @Badruddeen Nice post in Ramadan month...

Level 10

Hi @Badruddeen,

This is not the Maldives as we can see on postal card!

Thanks a lot for sharing. I have enjoyed seeing this mosque and the story with the cat is so cute.

See you

Jul

Level 9

Great meetup & the cat of course is a best companion of loneliness 🙂

Thanks for sharing brother @Badruddeen 

Level 9

Thanks @Badruddeen

For sharing your amazing recap of your meet-up. I really like the old scoops and Islamic manuscripts and this thing encourages me and make  me  excited to visit the Maldives.

Thanks again

Cheers

Saudi local guide 🇸🇦