cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Feeling at Home in a Foreign Land

Hello Everyone 🙂

Yeah, as the title describes.

I myself, feels like a local in a foreign land. I've born & raised in Karachi, Pakistan. And moved to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (to my wife's home country) more than a decade ago. To settle down on a foreign land, I feels like a 'fish out of water' initially & this is where my hunt started to find the best way to navigate. To roam around this metropolis of Kuala Lumpur initially I mostly was depending on paper maps of different districts. It was not later than 2011 that I become familiar with this newly emerging technology of GPS & mobile apps. Honestly speaking, I was a die hard fan of Nokia's ovi maps. But lack in updates was the major issue & I have started finding myself stranded on dead end streets while driving. This was the reason which forced me to move forward.
In late 2012, I have started using google maps for (initially) my navigation needs & the amazing team behind Google Maps has never misguided me, I had no more fear of going out & lost directions on this foreign land 🙂

During a meetup in Kuala Lumpur.  Thanks Stephen for this portrait picture:)During a meetup in Kuala Lumpur. Thanks Stephen for this portrait picture:)Syed Haseeb

Level 9, Local Guide on Google Maps
Level 9, Crowdsource Contributions
Also in the proud list of Top Solution Authors 🙂

Attended several meetups & hosted meetups in 3 countries so far

I'm a google user since early 2000's but it was the year of 2016 when I started to know a bit about the Local Guides program by reading reviews of places from local people around in my town. Since I was a foreigner here I must accept the fact that Local Guides has never make me feel like a foreigner. They have shared their experiences anonymously for me, wherever I go or visit even for a single meal to a restaurant, I've got this powerful tool where I can read the most authentic reviews & can see the pictures of my favorite dish from an eye of a Local Guide.

Similarly I have started to giving back my personal experiences about  places to google maps, I remember my first contribution was a simple picture & once I upload it, I got this warm thanks email & a invitation to be Local Guide. Even though I had started my contributions in January it was not until last year in June, I found about connect. I register my self to connect & found the whole new world has open arms to me.

I'm very proud to say that my friends are all over the world who shares the same passion & dedication as mine. I had never thought that one day, I can just take my phone & feel free to message anybody anywhere in the world. 

A Big Thank You to Local Guides Connect platform.

I works as a Finance Executive, I have to deal with the numbers almost all the time during my working hours & here is my acknowledgment email from 2017 contributions with full of  numbers, I was so glad to see my stats for the year 🙂    

Email received on 09-01-2018Email received on 09-01-2018

With all the ideas & experiences of people, I manage to read over time on connect, I always try to contribute in the best possible way & I feel so glad to see my photographs & contributions to be spreaded over 5 countries & almost all the places where I have visited.

I wish to spread my contributions pin mark all over the world map.I wish to spread my contributions pin mark all over the world map.

I have inherited the bug of helping people & that's where I have started to contribute to crowdsource, Currently, I am at level 9 on Google crowdsource too 🙂

& also in the list of Top Solutions Authors on Connect.

To see my name along with the Legends make me feel so happy.To see my name along with the Legends make me feel so happy.

I feel so satisfied, when I see my stats on this window :)I feel so satisfied, when I see my stats on this window 🙂And here come the feature, I'm addicted for now 🙂
Somewhere in early August last year, Google Maps has started giving the option for users to directly interact with the business via Q&A section on there profiles & since the GMB is not yet too popular among small medium enterprises especially in the countries where I have been UAE, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Malaysia & Singapore. I often receive the questions from people on my Gmaps app. I feel so satisfied after providing the information in the answer section about the places I have visited. So far I have answered 400+ answers to people on Google Maps

To be a Local Guide comes with a great responsibility too, that's the reason I strongly believe that the volunteer work has to be the best type of work.
I always think twice before giving out answers, to make sure the people get the best information possible.

I should not forget to thanks here another fellow member of Local Guides @AkmalB who has guided me a lot in my initial days & helped with his guidance not only to remain active on connect but also on other social channels. He was the first Local Guide I met in person. I was so glad to meet a person who shares the same passion with me 🙂
Akmal Bajwa = A true guide for Local Guides :)Akmal Bajwa = A true guide for Local Guides 🙂

It was then, I found out about the streetview program & 360 photography, since I'm a quick learner 😛 I got my Street view trusted badge in September last year. I had contributed around 500 pano's of 360 so far. 

So far my most viewed 360 is from DubaiSo far my most viewed 360 is from Dubai My contributions of 360's in 3 countries so far.My contributions of 360's in 3 countries so far. 

My

SVTp

stats.

Isn't amazing 😉

Yes, it is & guess who was my mentor behind it, The Legend @LucioV and the persons who shares the same bug of helping others with me our very own well known brothers @StephenAbraham & @ErmesT

With all these great people guiding me on every step, I kept my passion alive wherever I go.

Please feel free to read my post about my friendships Global-Friendships-via-LG-s-Program 🙂

To make Google Maps more helpful & reach to new Local Guides, I have attended several meetups & would like to share some of my meetup experiences here.

Please feel free to reach out these pictures & some recap posts for a quick view 🙂

The 36 walk Meetup - Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia (from left akmal, saidul, me, dexter's gf, dexter & stephen)The 36 walk Meetup - Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia (from left akmal, saidul, me, dexter's gf, dexter & stephen)

With Carl, Restoran Al Safadi during Dubai MeetupWith Carl, Restoran Al Safadi during Dubai Meetup

Shelfie Walk, From left to Right, Zul, Nabeel, Atiq, Myself, Akmal & StephenShelfie Walk, From left to Right, Zul, Nabeel, Atiq, Myself, Akmal & Stephen

With Sajjad, Monal Restaurant at a hilltop in Islamabad, PakistanWith Sajjad, Monal Restaurant at a hilltop in Islamabad, Pakistan

Few links which I managed to grab quickly 🙂

RSVP

RECAP-Quill-City-Mall-Shelfie-Walk-Meetup 

RSVP

RECAP-Burj-Khalifa-Dubai-Exploration

RSVP

RECAP-The-36-Walk-Kuala-Lumpur

RSVP

WW Photowalk - Karachi Event

My introduction video for connect live 2018 application, Have a look 🙂

I wish to meet the amazing team behind google maps & would love to share my experiences & ideas with them. I also wish to attend this year connect live 2018 because I believe we are all learners & wish to get the most advanced first hand information.

Best Regards

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
12 comments
Level 10

Re: Feeling at Home in a Foreign Land

Hi @Haseeb

The post is perfect for connect live application, all the achievements and contribution in one post ,

Thanks for the lovely thoughts about me,

Wish you best of luck,

Thanks

Level 10

@Haseeb Let's all go rock LG Connect Live 2018! 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wao @Haseeb brother that is incredible introduction by you, very nice composition and lovely 1 minute video, you are the lucky one that you visited too many cities of different countries and hosted Meet-Ups there, you always guide me very politely and i found you the most motivated and inspiring Local Guide in the world

Regards 

Ata Ur Rehman 

Connect Moderator

Local I'm many countries @Haseeb, is what I would say.

(Even if I can say that I am considered a foreigner in the village where I moved 18 years ago, coming from a place 20 km away)

Your post is very educative, I like your story of the evolution of technologies and the impact in our everyday's life is reflecting experiences that are common now.

Thank for this post

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Excellent introduction post bro @Haseeb Good luck for connCon live 2018. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Hi @Haseeb,

Congratulations for your post and application. It shows well your involvement in the program Local Guides! You are doing so well.

I wish you all the best for the connect live 2018 and hopefully we will meet in San Francisco.

See you around

Jul

Level 10

Hello @Haseeb

It is so wonderful to be a part of such an inspirational motivational group of people like everyone here at Local Guides Connect..

It is amazing the life you lead in travelling the world and incredible the connections you have made through Google Maps and Local Guides Connect. It is so lovely to see you meet-up with Local Guides Connect members from all around the world in different locations. Loving every foreign land, and fitting in wherever you are. With Google Maps helping you find your way

I hope you do really well with your Connect Live application. Your obligation and dedication is evident in all you do and have mentioned here. Good luck my friend. 

Best wishes

@Justine2807

Level 10

Level 9

You are most welcome brother @AkmalB

Yeaa sure we'll rock 😉 @StephenAbraham

Me too @Anonymous I have found you the mot active hero of Pakistan here on connect

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Sir @ErmesT & I'm glad that you liked the post 🙂

Thank you @NareshDarji bhai I wish you very good luck too, I hope we can meet one day.

Thank you for all your wishes big bro @Julien44 I too wish to meet you 🙂

Thank you @Justine2807 for all your wishes & yes I do love the fact, we can be local anywhere with Gmaps

I'm glad that you like it Legend @LucioV I really wish to meet & learn more from you in coming future.