Globe_trotter_Ish's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

United Kingdom (UK's) Accessibility law♿

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post. 

accessible_uk_collage.JPG

Pic : All these pics are taken by me when travelling through various cities in UK.

UK is one of the 167 countries that signed the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was ratified by the UK in 2009. It is the main treaty specifically on disability. It can potentially influence UK court decisions, either directly or through EU law or the European Convention on Human Rights.The influence of the Convention has been noticeable in EU law (eg social model of disability) which binds the UK courts, and in the European Convention on Human Rights (reasonable adjustments, personal autonomy) which is also important for UK courts.The Convention says how disabled people should be treated to give them equality.The government has made laws that protect disabled people from discrimination. 

The Equality Act began in 2010. It aims to stop all kinds of discrimination. It also says that people who provide services must make reasonable adjustments for disabled people so that they can use information, services and buildings. The UK Equality Act 2010 requires all events – including things like conferences and exhibitions – to be accessible and inclusive.

The UK Equality Act 2010 defines disability as having:

“A broad meaning; it is defined as a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

There are extra laws for disabled people about hate crime. Hate crime means when someone does something against the law to another person because of hate or because they are different.

There is also a Disability Unit  in UK which is a part of the Cabinet Office. Their aim is to break down the barriers faced by disabled people in the UK. They are also creating an evidence-based disability strategy that understands the lived experience of disabled people. A lot of work is being done (work in progress..!) to make it easier for disabled people to use things like footpaths, parks, buildings and transport. The government is supporting local councils and other organisations to run training courses for disabled people on how to use public transport. These courses give disabled people the skills and confidence to use public transport by themselves.

British Sign Language is the first language of deaf people which can be learned in colleges or universities. 

Currently in London, the accessibility regulations aim to help make sure online public services are accessible to all users, including disabled people. Regulations came into force on 23 September 2018 which say that all public sector websites or mobile apps must:

1. meet accessibility standards
  2. publish an accessibility statement

Also, The London Accessible Housing Register (LAHR) supports disabled home seekers by providing information on accessible social housing in the capital. This helps landlords to collect, display and store information on their accessible housing stock. 

Some of the common barriers to accessibility identified currently in London as well as many other cities in UK are :

• Inadequate lifts or escalators  and handrails
  • Lack of ramps
  • Footpath design is not accessible friendly
  • Lack of accessible friendly toilets
  • Parking Problems for disabled person
  • Insufficient number of accessible friendly sitting areas in transport vehicles like metro trains,buses, etc
  • Not all metro stations are accessible friendly (especially in London ) 

Below are some of the pics of the 'National Glass Center' in UK , I love this place because it's the most accessible place I have seen in UK till date :

National Glass Center , UKNational Glass Center , UK

As a Local Guide I do my best to create Accessibility Awareness of people via knowledge sharing during the meet-ups.  I also keep adding relevant Accessibility data like reviews , creating lists, etc  on Google Maps which would help people and make my city Accessible for everyone.  Here is my review about the National Glass Center, which is a part of my Google Maps list  'Accessible museums around Sunderland ' 

If you have questions, suggestions or contributions, feel free to drop a comment below.  Do check the list of other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered". Learn more about our project and team at oneaccessibility.org 

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

London, UK
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: United Kingdom (UK's) Accessibility law♿

Amazing work @Globe_trotter_Ish . I can understand how important and how handy this kinda information comes in. And I do agree with the research you have done in the United Kingdom's law and related articled for all-inclusive accessibility for all citizens. In Pakistan, we have almost all the rules established in documents, but ironically all rules for equal and open access for PwDA and wheelchair persons are by passed without any notice. Implementation is about 

10% overall. We must stand by digitally to enforce all business owners to comply with rules and acts for all-inclusive accessibility.

And one more thing I want to say that It's very generous of you that you keep posting about and adding places to let "people with special abilities" know that it's not the end of the world for them and they can indeed go and hang out at these cafes just like everyone else does. Personally, I believe contributing regarding accessibility is the best thing one could do on maps.

Shukriya 🙏 Isha

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Thanks a lot for your kind words @KashifMisidia ji. We all are priviledged that we have Google Maps to help others in need ! Spreading awareness and helping people with Accessibility needs is one of my reasons to become a local guide!

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Globe_trotter_Ish for sharing with us detailed information about the UK's Accessibility law and regulations. Interesting to learn an experience of different countries in this important area of people lives.

Hope to read soon your post about National Glass Center in UK as an example of totally accessible place. 

Keep contributing! Keep guiding!

Connect Moderator

Thanks a lot for your kind words @JaneBurunina ! Happy to contribute and be a part of #oneaccessibility team !

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

Felicitaciones por el trabajo que realizas @Globe_trotter_Ish ojalá el mundo sea algún día un lugar mejor para todos sin importar su condición.

Saludos.

Silvy.