Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Spam Invasion on the Weekend

Now it's very understandable that most people, Googlers, moderators and such don't go on Local Guides Connect as often as you think when it comes to the weekends. And we acknowledge that there is always going to be spam considering Local Guides Connect is a very public, social platform accessible by anyone and everyone. But right now this spam is getting harsher than it should be, given that the number of members joining this platform is growing each and every day. And how we as a community deal or address might seem pretty poor in my opinion.

Continuing on from @HelloSamsonR's previous post, I believe there needs to be stricter protocols when it comes to filtering the sort of posts that come through, culling marketing and advertising posts from the get-go, and closely monitored, stringent quarantine protocols that reserve the integrity and welcome wagon of Local Guides Connect. Of course, there are already terms and conditions intact, and we're advised that they're working, and also learning bit by bit, but right now, especially for newcomers and users that write up their first post, there isn't much of a buffer. I don't really want to read about someone's property consulting firm, or about someone's graphic "desing" business. In fact, just then I had my eyes violated with an actual video of some girl being god **####** penetrated!

How do these filters not deal with these issues? Or when they're clearly linking or writing about buying, selling or renting property? Or if there's some "beautiful" Thailand girl having the ride of her life? Or if they're disclosing private information such as phone numbers, addresses, emails or such? Especially for those are are first starting out and writing the first couple of posts, quarantine them. Go through stringest quality checking, and if even the slightest littlest flag goes up, they're out, and release from the list of rejected posts if necessary.

I also want to address how the community reacts. Of course, let's give them the benefit of the doubt when they're writing up their first posts or such and try to open up a door into Local Guides Connect, so welcome them if you can. But when you can see or even feel that they're absolutely not interested in being a Local Guide and just want to see the whole world burn inconvenience the spirit of our Local Guides community, don't entertain them. Instead, report them using the 'three-dots' method as illustrated below.

How to report inappropriate content. Hover on the three-dots on the top-right of a post, click this link, write up a small description and notify a moderator.How to report inappropriate content. Hover on the three-dots on the top-right of a post, click this link, write up a small description and notify a moderator.

I implore you, don't post something such as "irrelevant post" or "don't do that because [insert reason here]!" that they won't read anyway, as the post will shoot back up to the front page of Local Guides Connect and once again inconvenience people on the welcome mat. Report the post, and let the moderators do their work. Additionally if someone asks a question and all you do is welcome them with full disregard of their request, that doesn't really lead to a positive outcome (my apologies, I'm pretty customer-service oriented). I see what some of you do.

So instead of being a pure rant, I've some ideas. Read on...

• If an experienced or well-known Local Guide (let's say someone who has been a member of Local Guides Connect for about two weeks, and who has also posted a considerable amount) reports a post due to spam, irrelevance or just plain inappropriate for moderator intervention, that post will immediately be sent to the quarantine queue for manual approval/release and no longer visible in Local Guides Connect until it's released. However if this function/privilege is abused by the Local Guide, the ability to do so will be taken away.
  • For a newcomer, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. We'll let their first couple of posts slide, but if at least any of them even raise the slightest flag that is against the terms and conditions of use, quarantine right away. Allow for a stricter, closely monitored filter wall to apply to these initial posts and then eventually with time, trust and activity, let the clamps loosen. An example: If a known Local Guide was joking around with another calling her 'Beautiful Lady' (you know who you are), that would be okay provided it's within the confines! However, having someone only recently joining or making their first posts and having "Beautiful Thailand Girl" as the subject of their post would have it immediately quarantined.
  • Numbers, personal information, and links might also want to be checked prior to publishing a post, so if a Local Guide identifies them and/or the forums themselves detect such things, allow them to be redacted without ease, either by reporting the post or just by plain observation.
  • Hire or commission new moderators that would be able to help curb such tarnish during the weekends.

I enjoy Local Guides Connect as much as the next person because we almost seem to get a glimpse as to what's Google's next moves are, and it provides a community and platform where I can voice my heart out and participate grandiosely as a Local Guide. But for those already in the community, and for those who might be a little curious as to what Local Guides might be about, let's make the environment a better, much more welcoming place by minimising the amount of spam and offensive material that often comes by when not many moderators or Googlers are active. Someone could've wondered what Local Guides Connect is about, but then instead they're greeted with an ad about their print shop, so all of a sudden they see it as a rampant vicious electronic marketplace. First impressions are always key.

I hope no one will take offence to such, but this is how I feel considering that at the moment I can't access Local Guides Connect at work (since they blocked it thanks to 'new phishing filters') and given that I only have time to go online during weekends, there isn't really much to interact it. Anywho, I hope you'll take this with a grain of salt as feedback and perhaps a general feeling of the community towards spam.

Sincerely.

7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Spam Invasion on the Weekend

Hi @Briggs I've cleaned up a heap of inappropriate posts over the last couple of hours. If you know of any more please let me know.

There is a spam management system built into Connect and it only lets a few posts through. I can see the posts that it has caught and there are thousands of them that never made it to Connect. Killing spam is always a fine balancing act.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Hi @Briggs

As @PaulPavlinovich

Said, a lot of posts does not touch Connect, filtered automatically. Of course, if you filter more and more, then we will have a lot of complaints about "where is my post?" like it happens already for a few posts.

Reporting is important, the report have higher priority than tags someone, and the reporting area is controlled almost 24/7.

In case of need, feel free to tag me (as I have around 12 hours of time difference from Paul) so we can cover all the 24 hours.

Ermes 

Connect Moderator

@Briggs, I would also add to both @ErmesT @PaulPavlinovich, I am out here here in San Francisco. So if you see a suspicious Spam post, feel free to tag me too. I've been doing a little clean up here this morning too.

There is A LOT more spam than the Connect Community does not see. As much as we provide feedback together as a group to Google, the better, and cleaner our Community will be. 

Thanks for being a concern, conscientiousness, active Local Guides Connect Community member, we do appreciate your feedback and concern.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9

Really really really , you do great jop on Connect , @KarenVChin @ErmesT @PaulPavlinovich

And all Moderators , Spam are very exhausted issue , we do our best report inappropriate posts ,

Connect is our Home and we must clean it every day 😉

That's right @Briggs at the weekends we must be more alerts for Spammers 

Connect Moderator

Level 9

Level 10

Hey hey hey,

I'm sorry all.

I didn't mean to make you feel that I undermine your work and your role as exemplary moderators. I know my conscientiousness can sometimes be off-putting, and to a gargantuan extent excessive, especially with taking ownership of my own edits and strides towards Google Maps, but largely I'm starting to feel unimportant, and that's my fault for making a rant like this.

But I don't want there to be a rift between us regular Local Guides users and the moderators/Googlers over certain concepts and issues. Like how we've talked about following guidelines when Google itself doesn't even enforce or monitor them. Or when I request a moderator for assistance/help regarding spam by posting and I don't get a reply in a week. I know I've been pretty loud and voiceful when it comes to renegading my passions and prowess for Google Maps, but this is really too much for me to handle nowadays. I've lost so much trust, that even the most basic of edits aren't going through anymore, or every single one has to be manually verified before being applied. And many of my photos aren't being published anymore. They're the same old, usual quality, textbook photos attaching to these POIs and they're just not appearing anymore.

I want to keep on doing what I love through Google Maps even if it is free of charge, but I just want to be supported and acknowledged in such a way. Having these pictures not publish is disheartening, and the lack of trust faltering. And I understand that any open-user system isn't perfect. But outright rejecting one's own guidelines and just using that as an excuse is extremely disappointing. Have faith, you know?