ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Roads for Everyone - Helping others with the New Road Editor

Premise: tomorrow morning, looking from the window, the owner of a small hotel in the middle of the mountains will watch his guests' car arrive in amazement. Why, you may be wondering. It should be the normal thing: guests book, and then they arrive. His amazement will be due to the fact that the guests have not phoned half an hour before to ask for directions, but instead they will have arrived there without asking for anything. All this because since yesterday the road to reach the hotel is in Google Maps. When he finds out he will say "Finally Google Maps has decided to add the road". He won't know anything about the work that went into creating that path, but he'll be happy with it, and that's what matters.

Hi Local Guides

Hope you had the possibility to watch live the presentation of the Guiding Stars 2021

Well, if you haven't done so yet, I recommend you watch the video till the end. Not only to learn about the Guiding Stars 2021, but also to find out what's new in Google Maps

Caption: A screenshot of the new Road Editor captured while sui is drawing a new road in Google Maps, and below the text: “Roads for Everyone - Adding Roads with the New Road Editor for Desktop”Caption: A screenshot of the new Road Editor captured while sui is drawing a new road in Google Maps, and below the text: “Roads for Everyone - Adding Roads with the New Road Editor for Desktop”

Adding missing roads is a fundamental action, to make Google Maps usable for everyone. Last year Google maps started to develop more tools for desktop, that for many is the preferred tool for editing maps

Road Mapper

Many Local Guides are currently contributing to Road Mapper, to design roads in countries where, until a few months ago, there were very few roads in Google Maps. In a few days the streets are approved and published in Google Maps, literally changing the look of many places on our planet. I have currently contributed almost 10,000 km.

If you want to join the program, read this post to find out how to join. ATTENTION: with these contributions you do not earn points in Maps, but only the gratitude of millions of people.

Road Editor

However, even in my country, Italy, many roads are not in Google Maps. I'm not just talking about paths and cycle paths, I'm talking about roads that allow you to reach homes where people live, in not too remote areas of the mountains. Roads that are now much easier to add, thanks to the new Road Editor for Desktop.

I am now glad to announce that Google "aim to have it available for all of you early next year", as you can see in the video of the Guiding Stars 2021 announcement.

First of all, to understand what I mean, I want to show you this business. It is a very special Hotel, and apparently there was no way to reach the place other than, according to Google Maps, by leaving your car along a road and climbing a mountain. 

Caption: a pair of Google Maps screenshots, showing the suggested route to reach a place, and at the bottom the text: "Climbing is the way suggested by Maps to reach the place"Caption: a pair of Google Maps screenshots, showing the suggested route to reach a place, and at the bottom the text: "Climbing is the way suggested by Maps to reach the place"

Seems impossible, doesn't it? If you look at the image above you will see:

• On the left, the last part of the route suggested by Map
  • On the right, the same path with the terrain references. 686 meters away, with an elevation of 400 meters, equivalent to a slope of 58%
  • In the circle, a detail in which you can see that the road passes right next to the hotel. Despite this, the street was not in Google Maps

At least, until a few days ago.

Caption: a pair of Google Maps screenshots, showing the messages sent by Google Maps via email when a street edit is received by Maps (left) and approved (right)Caption: a pair of Google Maps screenshots, showing the messages sent by Google Maps via email when a street edit is received by Maps (left) and approved (right)

The area, despite the numerous houses and some B & Bs, appeared completely devoid of roads in Google Maps. 

I'm adding them one by one, and soon the local activities will be "reachable" by tourists also through Google Maps

Caption: a screen of Google Maps, in which we see, highlighted within circles, small villages and groups of houses in a mountainous area. Until a week ago the road that connects them was not in Google Maps.Caption: a screen of Google Maps, in which we see, highlighted within circles, small villages and groups of houses in a mountainous area. Until a week ago the road that connects them was not in Google Maps.

Quick approval time

Edits, if done right, are approved in just a few days. What I'm showing you in this post was edited on the evening of December 7th, and approved on the morning of December 10th, so in about two and a half days.

Check if the new editor is available for you already

How can you understand if the Road Editor is active in Google Maps on your desktop computer? This is easy: click in the Hamburger menu in Google Maps for desktop and select "Edit the map". If in the pop-up that appears you find the command "Add or Fix a road" then you are part of the group for which Road Editor for Desktop is already available. In this case, by clicking on "Add a Road" you can easily add the missing roads

Caption: A screenshot of Google Maps, with the Google Maps menu screens overlaid, and the steps required to start the new Road Editor, and below the text: "4 Steps to Start Drawing Roads"Caption: A screenshot of Google Maps, with the Google Maps menu screens overlaid, and the steps required to start the new Road Editor, and below the text: "4 Steps to Start Drawing Roads"

Detailed zoom

One of the great things about the new Road Editor is the zoom, which is much greater than what we get when we zoom in on Google Maps. This allows us to capture details with greater precision. Remember, however, to zoom out from time to time, especially if you are drawing a road in the woods, so that you never lose sight of the entire map of the area.

Caption: Two screenshots of the Google Maps Road Editor, showing the same area before (left) and after (right) drawing a new road. In the center a detail of how you can see the area where you draw using the zoom, and the text: "Zoom in to see the details -Zoom back for the global view"Caption: Two screenshots of the Google Maps Road Editor, showing the same area before (left) and after (right) drawing a new road. In the center a detail of how you can see the area where you draw using the zoom, and the text: "Zoom in to see the details -Zoom back for the global view"

Submit your edit

When you have finished drawing the road, before submitting your edit, remember to add the "road type" (mandatory) and, if you know it, also the name of the road. Follow the procedure below

Caption: a screenshot of the Google Maps Road Editor, with the various commands superimposed to complete and submit a new road just drawn to Google Maps, and at the top the text: "Add a road Type / Name and submit your edit"Caption: a screenshot of the Google Maps Road Editor, with the various commands superimposed to complete and submit a new road just drawn to Google Maps, and at the top the text: "Add a road Type / Name and submit your edit"

Timing

The times for the next steps are not always the same but, based on experience:

• Approval usually takes place within seven days (but as you have seen it can take a lot less)
  • The road is normally visible in Maps, and the points are credited to your profile 24 hours after approval.
  • The road can be available for navigation in Maps 3 days after approval

So let’s go back for a moment to the beginning of the story, when the owner of a small hotel in the middle of the mountains will watch his guests' car arrive….

Because, this is the moment “When the magic happen

Caption: two screenshots of Google Maps navigation, in which you see the suggested direction before (left) and after (right) that the strange has been entered and approved by Google Maps. In the circle a detail of how the target area can be seen, and at the bottom the text: "When The Magic Happen"Caption: two screenshots of Google Maps navigation, in which you see the suggested direction before (left) and after (right) that the strange has been entered and approved by Google Maps. In the circle a detail of how the target area can be seen, and at the bottom the text: "When The Magic Happen"

Have you already tried to add roads in Google Maps, and above all, what is your feeling when a new road appears in the Maps navigation, allowing you to easily reach a place?

EDIT - March 29 - 2022 - A new function has been recently added so I decided to write a new post to integrate the information with the new function: Correct Road Shapes in Google Maps - "Follow the Blue Line"

Treviso, TV, Italia
66 comments
Level 10

Re: Roads for Everyone - Helping others with the New Road Editor

@ErmesT Thanks for sharing this. I checked my location, it's not turned on yet, ie under "Edit the Map", there is still no option to "Add or fix a road". I am sure this will come soon. Looking forward to it. And thanks for sharing all the tips. 

Level 10

Thanks a lot for detailed explanation dear @ErmesT 

Road Editing tool is not still available for most accounts. But this article will be an inspiring one which helps people to know how effective their road edits are.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 5

En tant que utilisateur Road Mapper cela est très compliqué avec les arbres on ne sait pas si la route continue mais je vérifie plusieurs fois les chemins que je trace sur Road Mapper avant de les envoyer à verification.

• Belgium
• French - Néerlandais - English
• Local Guides 5
Connect Moderator

You are welcome, @StephenAbraham 

I hope that, as announced in the video, the feature will be available for everyone early next year. I don't really know why it appeared so early on my account (maybe because of my level of accuracy in road mapper), but I can tell you that with the Road Editor for desktop I moved quickly from 3 to 142 road added, and I have more roads that are waiting to be added in the count.

The zoom is impressive, much better than the level of zooming that we have in maps, and this help a lot when a road is hidden by trees

Level 8

Thanks for such an informative post on road editing @ErmesT . I'll check the availability though I suppose it's too early to arrive in our area. 

A very useful functionality indeed. 

Connect Moderator

I really hope it will be available soon, @Amiran 

The approval of the last roads I added was taking a bit more than 24 hours. I find it amazing.

Of course, the actual limitation about areas where we cannot add road will remain unchanged, but a tool with high accuracy will definitely help to improve the information and the quality of our edits

Connect Moderator

I agree, @iliasJ . Finding a road under the trees can be challenging, and we need to be careful in doing this,

In any case the zooming function in the editor is extremely powerful, so it is possible to check in a good way if under the trees we see a road.

If I cant clearly see the road, I abort the edit

Level 10

Ynt: Roads for Everyone - Helping others with the New Road Editor

Thanks for the information star @ErmesT ☺️ I think its approval is related to the trust given by the profile. There are not many missing paths around me, but every time I add it, it is approved within 1 day. I think Google trusts me.😅🙏🏻

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @ErmesT

Still no Add or fix a road on my desktop.

Cheers

Morten