Stuart_C's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Pushing positive change - let’s encourage package-free shopping

Hi everyone!

We live in an ever-changing world – every Local Guide out there who is a regular editor of Maps knows how we get our local neighbourhood nicely up to date with missing places added, opening times all correct, closed businesses all removed . . . only to see that a couple of months later many business have closed, others have sprung up, opening times are different . . .  So, time to edit again – it never ends!

But let's consider bigger and different change. In the last few years we've seen major shifts in human society and behaviour, such as social media influencing elections or making stars out of individuals; vegetarianism hitting the mainstream; single voices getting heard by millions because of a viral YouTube video.

Consumer habits: major shift time

This post is about a BIG change in consumer habits. I'm not talking about buying more things, or about bigger and cheaper shopping malls. No, this is a positive change, which is just in its early stages at the moment – the advent of package-free shopping. (Actually, I should write the return of package-free shopping, because up until the middle of the last century, almost everything came without packing, or at least it was ecologically wrapped.)

But, wait! Why bother with package-free shopping?

Folks, the last half a century has seen plastic madness descend upon us. It's insane. In fact, we're insane to have let it happen. The result is that we're now swimming in plastic (both metaphorically and literally), we're breathing it, it’s everywhere. Most of this plastic is single-use food packaging (bags, drinks bottles, straws, cups, etc.). OK, fine if it was all recycled, but it isn't. Most of it never gets used again, but enters rivers, oceans, the soil . . . even our food and the food of wildlife!  

Fortunately, awareness of this huge environmental problem caused by packaging has increased greatly in the last two or three years. Many consumers are now rejecting over-packaged products, and small stores are opening, selling products loose, unwrapped – without packaging of any kind. I live in Prague, Czech Republic. Quite a few such zero-waste stores have now sprung up here. I use them whenever I can and I try to champion them.

What can we now buy package-free?

The shops I use sell a really wide range of groceries, from rice to beans, biscuits and bread, cooking oils, fruit and veg (seasonal), and some of them sell cleaning products and detergents. Most things are locally-sourced where possible.

Here are some pictures I've taken of products in my favourite stores:

A glass jar of loose sticks of cinnamon, sold by weight for 41 Czech Crowns per 100gA glass jar of loose sticks of cinnamon, sold by weight for 41 Czech Crowns per 100g

Various nuts from the Farmers' Shop in Louny:

Wicker trays of walnuts nuts, edible chestnuts and hazelnuts, with price tags and a metal scoopWicker trays of walnuts nuts, edible chestnuts and hazelnuts, with price tags and a metal scoop

I am NOT a fan of liquid soap and shower gels in plastic bottles, so I was overjoyed to find soaps and (even more so) shampoo in bar form in the Bezobalu store in Prague.

Bars of olive soap, package-free in a wicker bowl; deodorant in reusable plastic holdersBars of olive soap, package-free in a wicker bowl; deodorant in reusable plastic holders

Shelves stocked with jars of preserves and sustainable and multiple-use drinking bottles, stainless steel strawsShelves stocked with jars of preserves and sustainable and multiple-use drinking bottles, stainless steel straws

How does it work?

Simple. You take your own bags, containers and bottles. Just make your shopping list in advance so you know how many bags to bring. Many things such as rice and cereals are sold by weight: you either give your bag to the shop assistant, saying what it is and how much you want, or the store is self-service and you fill your bags and containers from dispensers.

OK, so it takes a bit of discipline and organisation, but it becomes a habit, a lifestyle. The feeling of satisfaction can be immense. I love leaving a store knowing that I haven’t contributed excessive and unnecessary waste that could well choke our planet further.

The positive impact that we will see

These zero-waste stores are locally owned, start-ups we could say. They're small, but their aim is to change the big picture. And that, I’m sure, is what they’ll do eventually. The big chain supermarkets are doing very little to reduce single-use packaging, in my opinion. Their efforts are minimal, simply paying lip service to the issue when challenged. But the zero-package movement is growing, the small stores are doing more and more business. The chains will soon see profits hit, turnover decrease and of course they’ll finally have to wake up and take action. I see this as inevitable. But it needs time and it needs consumers to be strong-willed and determined. The movement is happening, but the issue is urgent and the faster we get to seriously reducing food packaging, the better.

Local Guides and everyone can help

As I mentioned, I use zero-waste stores whenever I can and of course I use my visibility and knowledge as a Local Guide to make sure they get quality photos on their Maps listings and appropriate reviews. I feel VERY strongly about the issue of unnecessary waste (you probably guessed that already!!) My two-fold support (using the shops and then spreading the word) is the least I can do.

So I encourage all Local Guides to consider how they can support positive change in consumerism. To start with, we can make sure all eco-friendly shops are listed and reviewed on Maps. And of course, we need to use these shops and tell others! The impact will be big!

I know from CL 2018 and from threads here that many LGs are out there flying the flag for eco issues. A shout out to @ErmesT , of course, for his Clean the World initiatives!!

Stores I use and/or know about

Has anyone made a similar list for their own area/country? Would be useful to know in advance of visiting a city or region.

Cheers, all.

Regards

Stuart

Prague, Czechia
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Pushing positive change - let’s encourage package-free shopping

Level 10

Hello @Stuart_C 
As you say. We will need to raise our personal awareness.
In fact, we have long been a culture of abandonment. This is the origin of faith, and it does not mean that we prefer waste. Part of Tokyo's land has been created by filling trash for over 400 years. Therefore, it has achieved its own evolution in which all the waste is digested in the soil.
However, in order to strongly change this awareness, it is better to actively introduce foreign cultures into Japan and to promote awareness changes. I want you to be our model.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

@Stuart_C  Totally agree, 

Now a days lot of products that made to be convenience but not thinking about how is destroying our mother nature!  

Connect Moderator

@Stuart_C, here is another reason why I like you! We definitely need to talk about this topic - hopefully, in person, in San Jose!

As you just found out, I live a very similar lifestyle like yours. I tried to consume what is already in existence.  I now finally have some free time both here and in my life go back to gardening and start to grow veggies this summer.

Good luck with your Connect Live 2019 application. = )

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

This is such an excellent post about your passion for eco-friendly shops and how this societal change is even impacting how we contribute to Maps. It's such an uncommon thing to see where I live that when I do see places that implement this entirely (I recently visited a shop in Aurora, Colorado that did not use any packaging whatsoever), it truly catches my eye and makes me wonder why more places aren't taking the steps necessary to move in that direction.

This has taught me a lot and is a great reminder for me to take this aspect into consideration when shopping or contributing. Cheers, @Stuart_C !

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Thanks @ErmesT !

I will indeed add a contribution to your post.

Stuart

Level 9

Exactly, @KhamphoutS . Convenience, speed, ease of transportation. Plastic is actually a great product with many advantages. Unfortunately, it might  lead to our destruction. It's time we put the environment before our convenience and comfort, because the way I see it, our time is sand!

And let's be honest, who need all this fancy packaging? 🙂

Regards

Stuart

Level 9

Big hugs, @KarenVChin !!

Talk we will. I'm looking forward to hearing (and hopefully seeing) how the sustainable movement is coming along in the Bay Area (and indeed everywhere).

As I mentioned in the post, it has to become a lifestyle. I'm not prepared to simply put convenience first - we've all done that for too many years. You know that, I know that. Hopefully we can get lots more on board! In general the response from people is usually positive when I open the package-free discussion.

Take care, Karen.

Stuart 

Level 9

@SP31  Steve, my man! Thanks for your encouragement. I hope we one day get to exchange ideas and experiences again. I'm very upbeat about this one - I feel we're on to a positive thing.

Stuart