MashaPS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Mukul

Caption: A photo of Mukul wearing a T-shirt that says, ‘Bangladesh Local Guides,’ and an illustration with the words ‘Mukul’ inside a blue frame with accessibility symbols.Caption: A photo of Mukul wearing a T-shirt that says, ‘Bangladesh Local Guides,’ and an illustration with the words ‘Mukul’ inside a blue frame with accessibility symbols.

Local Guide Mukul (@MukulR) lives in Dhaka, Bangladesh, but he believes that adding accessibility information on Google Maps can help millions worldwide. While his focus is wheelchair accessibility, he takes every opportunity to share details that could help people with visual and hearing impairment make better decisions, too. 

On Connect, we often see Mukul sharing informative posts with the #DisabilityAwareness and #AccessibilityCheck and as part of the One Accessibility initiative. He also recently shared the recap of his fourteenth (!) accessibility meet-up under the slogan “Accessible Bangladesh.”

Read on to find out what inspired Mukul to start contributing to accessibility and how he does it.

How did you become interested in accessibility?

I have experience working with three people with disabilities. Two of them have a visual impairment, and one has a hearing impairment. I have seen how they faced discrimination and difficulties in their day-to-day life. That inspired me to do something for them. 

Back then, I was doing a campaign about Supporting Small Businesses. But doing something for people with disabilities was always on my mind. At that time, @KalyanPal started contributing to accessibility. He invited me to his virtual meet-ups, where we discussed many things, and that’s how my journey began.

Caption: A photo of Mukul holding a wheelchair during his meet-up at the Dhaka River Port in August 2021. (Courtesy of Local Guide @MukulR)Caption: A photo of Mukul holding a wheelchair during his meet-up at the Dhaka River Port in August 2021. (Courtesy of Local Guide @MukulR)

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?

The main reason is the millions of people around the globe who use Google Maps every day. Showing accessibility information on the map means reaching many of those who need it. They can get an idea about the accessibility features of a place and decide where to go.

Is there a particular area in which you are interested the most (wheelchair accessibility, vision accessibility, etc.)?

75 million people need to use a wheelchair every day. So I’m very interested in wheelchair accessibility, though vision and hearing accessibility have the same importance to me. Whenever I get a chance, I like to contribute to them, too.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information on Google Maps?

I give priority to taking photos of any accessible location. In my reviews, I try to mention all available accessibility features and use dedicated emojis. I also answer accessibility-related questions carefully. 

I have two lists that I keep updated: Accessible places in Dhaka and Wheelchair accessible places in Mirpur.

Do you have a favorite Google Maps contribution that you’ve shared? Why is it your favorite?

I have many favorite places that I have reviewed on Google Maps with a detailed list of accessibility features, such as the Faculty of Social Science, University of Dhaka, the BCS Computer City, and the ENT and Head Neck Cancer Hospital and Institute.

Caption: A collage of photos from different accessibility meet-ups Mukul has hosted, showing accessibility features of various locations. (Courtesy of Local Guide @MukulR)Caption: A collage of photos from different accessibility meet-ups Mukul has hosted, showing accessibility features of various locations. (Courtesy of Local Guide @MukulR)

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I believe many Local Guides are kind-hearted, and they contribute to accessibility. To get inspired, they can see the contributions or read posts from other Local Guides. We must understand the power of Google Maps and its impact on people with disabilities — we can make this world enjoyable for everyone. 

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

The Local Guides program can be a great way to fulfill our passion and creativity. It helps us to become global members while contributing locally. That is a unique characteristic. If you are passionate about your activities having a global impact, then it is the right platform for you.

Caption: A collage of photos of Mukul and fellow Local Guides during different accessibility meet-ups. (Courtesy of Local Guide @MukulR)Caption: A collage of photos of Mukul and fellow Local Guides during different accessibility meet-ups. (Courtesy of Local Guide @MukulR)

Is there anything else we should know about you?

I am very grateful to some great Local Guides from my community. I want to give special thanks to @AbdullahAM, @KamalHossenR, and @Designer_Biswajit. Without their support, my journey would have been harder. Thanks also to all the members of the Bangladesh Local Guides (BDLG) for loving me and my work on accessibility. Thanks to the other Local Guides on Connect as well, who appreciate my posts. 

Thank you, Mukul! Local Guides, are you or someone you know an Accessibility Champion? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below or nominate another Local Guide using our nomination form. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Dhaka, Bangladesh
60 comments
Level 9

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Mukul

Hello @MashaPS , I really feel very honored for this acknowledgement. It will inspire me hugely to work more on accessibility in the future. Thanks a lot for giving me this rare chance. Regards. 

Connect Moderator

Congratulations dear @MukulR on being recognized as an Accessibility Champion.

Your efforts towards mapping accessibility in Bangladesh are highly appreciated and through your consistent efforts you have set a great inspirational example for everyone.

The best part of your meetup recap that I like is the icons and the arrows that you place on the photos that clearly highlight the accessible features at a place.

I hope you are able to continue your activity towards accessibility in the future as well.

My best wishes and congratulations once again 🤝

Level 9

Congratulations @MukulR dada!! You richly deserve this recognition my friend!! Your contribution in accessibility is very well known and full of knowledge and encouraging too ! All the best!! 👍👌

Thanks for sharing @MashaPS .

Cheers!

Level 8

Congratulations to @MukulR and @KalyanPal  thank you for the update @MashaPS 

Happy Guiding 😊👍

Connect Moderator

Congratulations @MukulR for getting Accessibility Champion Title, you deserve it.

Thanks @MashaPS  for sharing this inspiring post 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

@Tushar_Suradkar Dada, Thanks a lot for your comments, appreciation, and of course your encouragement-support to my work on accessibility. You commented in all my recaps on accessibility meet-up that inspired me do better for the next one. I hope your support to me will continue in the future also. Stay safe and healthy. 

@ajitthite Dada, and @Pratik_89 Thanks a lot for your nice appreciation dear. Support that I got from all of you cannot be measured by anything. Regards. 

Former Google Contributor

Very well deserved @MukulR!

Keep contributing!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Thanks a lot for your supportive comments and appreciation @KashifMisidia Bhai. I learned a lot of things accessibility from you and and those things were very much inspiring to me. I hope to continue my learning from you in the future. 

Level 8

Congratulations dear @MukulR

Your efforts on accessibility really deserve this. Keep going with your inspiring work on accessibility in Bangladesh.

#HappyGuiding