DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet Accessibility Champion, Pritish

3.jpg3.jpg

Local Guide Pritish (@PritishB) lives in Kolkata, India, and is interested in improving all aspects of accessibility. As a member of the West Bengal Local Guides (WBLG) community, he helped the creation of the #AccessibleBengal initiative. Using this hashtag, West Bengal Local Guides share posts on Connect and organize meet-ups about accessibility. Whenever they come across a wheelchair ramp in their city, they ask for permission to leave a special sticker to indicate that a place is accessible.

Here is Pritish's journey from first discovering the accessibility features on Google Maps to becoming an Accessibility Champion.

Why are you interested in accessibility? Is there a particular area in which you are interested the most (wheelchair accessibility, vision accessibility, etc.)? 

Ten years ago, in my school days, one of my friends had an accident, after [which] he had to use a wheelchair for the rest of his life. I watched how his parents were having problems with finding accessible places and information. 

That incident motivated me to do something for the people with disabilities. They also wish to move around the city without any special help from someone else. And for that, they just need basic facilities like a ramp, a low chair, an accessible washroom, low buttons in the lift, and so on, which should be [something] common everywhere. Nowadays, [even] if these facilities are available at someplace, due to lack of information, a person with a disability [might] hesitate to go outside. Helping them with proper accessibility information is a very noble thing, in my opinion. 

Until now, I was interested in wheelchair accessibility the most. But soon, I am planning to update the information on all types of accessibility.

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps? 

Google Maps is the easiest platform through which I can share accessibility information with all who actually need it.

Caption: A photo of Pritish holding the flag of India. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PritishB)Caption: A photo of Pritish holding the flag of India. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PritishB)

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information on Google Maps?

Last year in March, when I came to know about Connect, and after joining virtual meet-ups on accessibility, I learned about the accessibility features on Google Maps. I started using the “Describe this place” [function] and updating the information of the places I visited. I started using the wheelchair emoji () in my reviews and in the captions of my photos so that this information was easily visible. 

What's your favorite Google Maps feature? 

Undoubtedly, the accessibility features are my favorite.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility? 

Writing small details in [your] reviews about accessibility will help a lot of people. Wherever you go, it will not take more than a few seconds to take a picture of a ramp and update that information on Google Maps. If you start doing so, believe me, it will [become] a habit.

What one feature would you like to see on Google Maps? 

Under the “Photos” section, [I would like to see] a separate section about accessibility, where the pictures related to it, like [pictures of] accessible ramps, accessible washrooms, and so on, would appear.

Caption: A photo of Pritish with outstretched arms at his favorite place, the stadium of the Mohun Bagan Athletic Club in Kolkata. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PritishB)Caption: A photo of Pritish with outstretched arms at his favorite place, the stadium of the Mohun Bagan Athletic Club in Kolkata. (Courtesy of Local Guide @PritishB)

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program? 

The Local Guides program is a platform through which we can represent our country globally. With regular quality contributions on Google Maps, we unknowingly help a lot of people. So keep guiding!

Are there any posts on Connect or meet-ups you've hosted that help demonstrate your contributions around accessibility to Local Guides, Google Maps, and your community? 

I would like to share three posts:

Is there anything else we should know about you?  

I am pursuing a Ph.D. in chemistry. I love to travel and take photos with my smartphone. Going out with my bicycle on a winter morning or night is one of my favorite things!

Are you or someone you know an Accessibility Champion? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below or nominate another Local Guide using our nomination form.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Kolkata, West Bengal, India
71 comments
Level 9

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Pritish

Very cordial congratulations @PritishB  Dada. You deserve this.  I am very much proud and happy about your achievement. Love from Bangladesh. 

Thanks @DeniGu for sharing this and selecting him as the Accessible Champion. 

Level 8

Congratulations @PritishB 💐💐💐

You deserve it...

Thank you @DeniGu for announcement.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Congratulations @PritishB on becoming Accessibility Champion🙂💐 Well deserved ! Keep doing the great work that you are doing !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Level 8

Hello, dear Guiding star @PritishB !

Congratulations 💐

Your Accessibility works are really appreciative and I have waited for this day to congratulate you.

Being a member of West Bengal Local Guides I feel proud of you. You have made today more special.

Thank you @DeniGu for recognise him as Accessibility Champion.

Always stay safe and happy.

#AccessibleBengal 

#TeamWBLG

================================

Accessibility Champion- Kalyan Pal 

Level 9

Fantastic @PritishB dada!! You deserve it and I am sincerely happy about it.👏

Thanks for sharing @DeniGu !!!

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Level 7

Level 9

wow congrats @PritishB 

this is really great news of all of us ,post @Tushar_Suradkar  one more feather on our india cap.

hope we all can feel proud.

and a big thanks  @DeniGu for sharing such wonderful news.

regards

Anil Singh

Thanks and Regards

Connect Moderator

Really glad to read this announcement about accessibility Champion 🏆 @PritishB. Many congratulations fir being Accessibility Champion. 

Thank you so much @DeniGu for sharing this post with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Thank you so much beloved @DeniGu and LG team for providing this great opportunity to work with accessibility and sharing the information on Google maps. It really means a lot to me.

I must say about my dear brother @ShafiulB , from whose virtual meetup on accessibility during lockdown due to COVID-19 in 2020, I came to know about accessibility features of Google maps. Thanks for inspiring me.

Hope we the LGs will be able to update the maps with proper accessibility information for those who actually need it.

Stay safe and happy.

Have a great year ahead!