ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

#LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, third anniversary (in this post we talk about you)

Yes, the title is true. If you are a Local Guide active in this community, then this post is also about you, your experience and your story

3 years, and again it seems yesterday

A year that seemed "suspended" to us, as if we had paused our life, our experiences, our usual way of living life.

A year ago we had just entered what we now call "the pandemic", and we imagined that in a few months it would all be over, and we would return to our "normal" life.

A year that has changed not only our life, but also the way we imagine our life. We have learned to be isolated and protected, we have learned to work from home, we have learned to meet others in a "virtual" way, and to share joys and sorrows with friends through a screen.

Caption:  a collage of 108 photos of clean-up activities all around the world - photos, @ermestCaption: a collage of 108 photos of clean-up activities all around the world - photos, @ermest

A year ago we celebrated the second anniversary of #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, in a post that ended with the following words: “What about the next 12 month? What is your plan for the environment?

After a few months, we realized this was going to last a long time, much longer than we expected.

During this year, the lives of many of us have been severely scarred: some have fallen ill, others have lost friends and relatives.

We have become even more "virtual", and we have started to celebrate our events in a virtual way, from the smallest to the global ones, such as Community Live.

Caption: a screenshot taken during the introduction of the Community Live online eventCaption: a screenshot taken during the introduction of the Community Live online event

This is how we lived it, three and a half months ago, our last #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld event

Caption: a screenshot of #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld online event during Community live 2020 - courtesy of Local Guide JayasimhaCaption: a screenshot of #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld online event during Community live 2020 - courtesy of Local Guide Jayasimha

However, last year's question remained suspended, even though we now know the answer.  “What about the next 12 month? What is your plan for the environment?" it is still an open question, which we can ask ourselves again this year.

How has the world changed while we were indoors, watching the world from a window?

The air is cleaner, and there are more birds. We saw this already after the first months, and for a while it reassured us, then ... Then many simply went back to the bad habits of before, even if reconverted to Covid Mode: the waste has changed, but the human beings.

So, if any of you have wondered if, at the end of this pandemic, there will still be #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, the answer is YES.

What has evolved is the way to soil the planet, that's all. I call it "Co-Waste", and I fear it will be our target when we can go out again. Not an alternative target, but an additional target, to add to those we already have

Caption: a collage of photos showing masks and gloves abandoned in the nature - photos @ermestCaption: a collage of photos showing masks and gloves abandoned in the nature - photos @ermest

An "Off-Topic" reflection

While I'm here and writing, preparing this post, I can't help but think, I can't help but smile, reviewing the screenshots of your faces, of your smiles, thinking that despite everything we managed to remain friends, indeed, to become more friends than before

ermest_4-1616802379203.jpeg

One thing that surprises me is that I recognize the faces of everyone, of those (many) that I have met in person, as of those (many more) that I have only met here in Connect, and I'm sure you recognize them too

ermest_5-1616802379138.jpeg

I don't know how next year will be, I can't say "when" we can hug, or have a drink together, but of one thing I am sure: that the friendship we have built during this long year is a true friendship, and this it will help us to start again, more convinced and stronger than before.

For now, a virtual hug

Before to close, I want to add a special, personal "thank you" to the Local Guides who most actively supported me in this adventure. I cannot tag all of you, so I will only mention:

@DavidTito , the man of the map, the man behind the map of #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld

@KashifMisidia , the unstoppable engine of many cleanup actions

@br14n and @RiverDefender , the Indonesian incredible lovers of our planet. For them keep their place clean is a real mission

@KarenVChin , for the constant support

@AntonellaGr , for sharing this experience with me every day 

What about you? Tell us your experience about the environment and / or (optionally) tell me how many people you recognize in my last photo

See you soon, with new adventures

Treviso, Province of Treviso, Italy
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, third anniversary (in this post we talk about you)

Feliz 3er aniversario de #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld @ErmesT  que difícil tarea te propusiste! La gente (la mayoría de ella) no toma conciencia del cuidado del medioambiente, pienso que es un problema de educación fundamentalmente. El mundo fue un lugar mejor durante ésos primeros meses de cuarentena cuando los animales trataron de recuperar espacios que nosotros les arrebatamos. Pero duró poco tiempo. Nunca se me ocurrió tomar fotos a todos los barbijos tirados en las veredas, parques ó medios de transporte público que veo todo el tiempo. 

Reconozco a muchas personas en ésas fotos gracias a la virtualidad del 2020, de lo poco que le puedo agradecer al pasado año es haber conocido tanta gente, de mí país y de diversos lugares gracias a haber compartido tantos Meet-Ups. Ya no son un nombre o una foto de perfil en Connect, son, muchos de ellos, amigos a los que me gustaría conocer algún día (más excusas para viajar, como si las necesitara jaja). Mis listas de lugares por visitar en Maps esperan ansiosas ése momento.

Saludos.

Silvy.

Level 10

Bls: #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, third anniversary (in this post we talk about you)

@ErmesT 

Our community always support your activity. Sabers pungli called in my city always clean the river every sunday in Batu east of Java Indonesia...

Salam Kontribusi from Batu Local Guides

IMG-20210327-WA0106.jpg

Connect Moderator

Re: #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, third anniversary (in this post we talk about you)

Hehe, @SilvyC I don't like the easy battles, because I believe that we have the people, the energy, the intelligence, the heart and the soul to fight for biggest principles. The five things together can be the secret to win a battle. A battle that, as I said many times, is to educate the people to respect the life and the planet.

Yes, the ones in the photos are all friend, even if with many of them (till now) we only met virtually. My list of places and people to meet is long too, Silvy

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Level 8

Bls: #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld, third anniversary (in this post we talk about you)

Batu local guides are not only community maps contributors, but also work in synergy with Sabers pungli (Sapu bersih sampah nyemplung kali) as a form local guides clean the world.

FB_IMG_1616852780969.jpg

FB_IMG_1616852803277.jpg

 local guides couple clean the world from Batu local guides community

Connect Moderator

Sabers pungli is an amazing movement, @JuwarniPawuh , and I really admire the constant activities that your Group is doing in Batu.

The Indonesian Local Guides, with Sabers pungli in Batu and @RiverDefender in Bogor are an example for all the Local Guides.

And the banner that you see in the cover photo has been made by @PaDeSSo , another Great Local Guide. The banner was given to me by @Nyainurjanah and @Velvel in San Jose (CA), during the #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld event organized by @KarenVChin for the opening day of Connect Live 2019

Caption: Local Guides @KarenVChin and @ermest  behind the bags of plastic collected at the Children's Discovery Museum of San JoseCaption: Local Guides @KarenVChin and @ErmesT behind the bags of plastic collected at the Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @Sophia_Cambodia , the double screen (triple really, but I usually work with two) is just because I am actually working from home.

Hope you will join us sometimes with a #LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld event.

Let us know, and we will be happy to share what we learned with you.

Cleaning together is a great experience

Connect Moderator

Beautiful t-shirts, @M_15W4HYUD1  - I love them

As I said already to @JuwarniPawuh , Batu community is amazing, I love how you guys work to keep the environment clean.

A virtual hug from Italy

Ermes