catwu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Help us ask better questions on Google Maps

Hi @catwu to journey in any place it is a great question - Is there any Hotel/Motel around this place? I hope everybody have the experience about this kind of problem. We are local guides, we can search, we can find but I think we should update any place with the information about to stay their in a hotel. If the place is historic or famous then the mentioned question will be more helpful for travelers. About Hotel; it may be a mega question like hotel name, hotel information's etc. @KarenVChin @ErmesT 

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 9

What question doesn’t seem right to you?  "Does this place have good tea options?"

What place? sorry I can't find one since I almost always found this question in Diner or Restaurant-category places in my area

What country? Indonesia

What language? Indonesian (basically I'm using English as my app language, so the questions appears in English)

What’s wrong with this question? It's almost rare to find any kind of tea here. Well, we're only have one kind of tea in general. So, anytime you order "tea" here, its a high chance you'll always get a same tea like you'll find in another diner. You'll almost wouldn't find Earl Grey tea or anything in "general" places, unless you go to some fine-dining restaurants.
I think it's a cultural thing.

How can we improve this question? If possible, you can categorizing questions by its "cultural region". Or maybe you can make this questions specific to some categories only.

Level 9

@catwu Why we do not use the feedbaçknside then app? There is a flag for that, isnt it?

Screenshot_2017-11-18-21-53-58.png

Connect Moderator

Hi @wishmasterf

@JeroenM Most of us (I hope) are using the flag, to send a feedback. I think this post is a way to get a personal contact with the most active Local Guides, for helping with their own opinion, that are considered valuable. I think @catwu

knows about the function of the flag. @wishmasterf

Nobody is forcing you to give your contributions in here, but the porpoise of this topic is to receive it, so please stay on topic

Thanks 

Ermes 

Level 9

@ErmesT I dont see why my suggestion ist OT. Now we are in a digital age with great possibilities. Extending the flag with "other", and ad a form should be possible. It would be easier to report and also analyse the reports. Next time we send postcards? Or do you want a letter?

I think we should never be satisfied with what it is like. We always need more to get progress. Improvements just start with suggestions. Where could i place a suggestion to question-feedback better than in a question-feedback threat?

Level 8

@catwu I get asked the same questions about if I've been there and I've been there a lot these prompt questions and I don't the new badging here in Perth but everyone else does. I  have sent feedback and no results

@catwu wrote:

If you have location history enabled on Google Maps, you’ve probably come across questions like this one:
Screenshot from Google Maps asking “Is there table service here?” about a cafe.Screenshot from Google Maps asking “Is there table service here?” about a cafe.

When you answer these questions, you’re sharing info that’s useful to everyone who navigates on Google Maps. Some questions, like the ones about wheelchair accessibility, can even help people with mobility needs get around.

We try to ask smart, relevant questions about places all around the world, but we know we can always do better. That’s why, until 12/1, we’re asking for your local expertise.

Here’s how you can help improve questions on Google Maps:

• Go to “Your contributions” on Google Maps for Android or iOS
  • Tap “Answer quick questions”
  • If you see one that doesn’t make sense in your country or language, post a comment like this one on this post:

What question doesn’t seem right to you? Does this place serve afternoon tea?

What place? Starbucks

What country? U.S.

What language? English

What’s wrong with this question? It’s confusing. This place serves tea in the afternoon, but most places in the U.S. don’t serve anything called “afternoon tea.”

How can we improve this question? I’d suggest asking this only in the U.K.

You can copy and paste this template for your comment:

What question doesn’t seem right to you?

What place? (please include a link if possible)

What country?

What language?

What’s wrong with this question?

How can we improve this question?

We’ll be collecting feedback until 12/1. After that, you can still add questions to this post, but we won’t be able to reply.

Thanks for helping improve Maps for people all around the world!

Level 9

Hey @catwu,

Thanks for sharing this to all fellow members. I am doing it regularly. It's really will help someone somewhere someday. Cheers to our members

Bk gajendra
Level 8

@catwu I do get asked these questions but not on demand.

I have been wanting to dicuss precisely this topic of how questions are asked.  Often times the yes, no, or don't know answers are not good choices nor are the questions format appropriate.

Level 8

What question doesn’t seem right to you?  Carpark related

What place? Virtual all places

What country? Hong Kong

What language? Not related

What’s wrong with this question? Majority of Places in Hong Kong do not have (private) carparks.  Shops inside Mall should not be asked about Carpark.  Shops inside High rise buildings, not at the ground floor, should not be asked about Carpark.  Only Major Malls and Major Office Buildings might have carparks for vistors.  Some major residential building also has carpark, but might not open to vistors.

How can we improve this question?  Ask: "Is there a private carpark?"  Only further ask about carpark if there is a private carpark.  If the carpark is for the Mall, it is not consider private to the Shop inside that Mall.

Level 8

Thank you @ErmesT for clarifying.