NarenChandra's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Bank scam using Google maps Loophole

Hello local guides , 

There is this article in Hindu news paper about a new scam that is done using  Google maps . Local guide Amol informed about this article in Indian Local Guides group . 

The fraudsters are changing the contact details of banks to their personal numbers and from there as people contact them they are collecting personal details like Account number ,CVV ,card details and many more which can be used against the rules . 

Here is a article 

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/a-new-bank-scam-using-google-maps-loophole/article25541...

IMG_20181120_083054~2.jpg

Googlers please have a look , I feel there must be a authentication factor for verification of contact details for banks and government offices to eliminate such spam .

Or the banks must be Google My business verified . 

Please look it to this before it catches more fire . 

26 comments
Level 10

Re: Bank scam using Google maps Loophole

Level 8

Level 10

Level 10

Thanks @NarenChandra for bringing it to the knowledge of Google. Hope strict action will be taken so that such incidents are not repeated. 

@TraciC

Level 10

@NarenChandra Thanks for sharing this. Since this stems from the basic ability to edit, in this case phone numbers, unless that capability is revoked (which isn't a great solution), then the other will really be a more stringent or tight approval process (which then will have more not-applied responses) to mitigate this. Since it has been alerted locally to Google as per the article, and you have shared here. Let's just wait for the best solution from Google on these cases.

Level 9

Google has to verify all local guides in all over the world Thank you @NarenChandra for sharing a Bank scam using Google maps all Googlers has to see and take a serious about this issue...

Level 10

Thanks for sharing this case history @NarenChandra! This is a serious threat, and often banks in Italy send out phishing email campaign to alert users to avoid contact numbers and emails they can retrieve in different places than the official bank web page.

This is something that should be included in the base education for everyone: cybersecurity awareness is a thing, and many companies (including the one which I work for) are doing a lot to spread the basics of cyber protection.

Connect Moderator

Thank you for tagging me in this post, @NarenChandra

This is not the first case of scam, @NarenChandra, and you are right, the banks should be on Google Maps only with a GMB account, with a kind of special policy for making them "not editable" by LGs (e.g. removing the "banc" category" from the list of editable POI.

It is good that they already contacted the local office of Google for fixing it quickly.

I agree with @StephenAbraham, about a more stringent approval process, even if this will generate a lot of complaints

On a side note, Naren and @ProfArunCM, if you need to tag a Googler Moderator, please refer to this post: Meet the Google Moderators 

Level 10

Yes @LucioV

It is a serious issue and hope will be dealt seriously.