Local78500's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Adding home address constantly rejected/not applied

Hello Local Guides team,

I've recently moved, and my new house address isn't listed on Google Maps.

I've tried to suggest my new address as a missing place in the Google Maps app on my phone multiple times, and every time I get a "NOT APPLIED" return without any explanation as to why.

Seeing as Google Maps APIs are used by an increasing amount of online businesses to validate delivery addresses and so on, it would be nice to know why my own home, where I currently sit and made tried to make the edit a couple of time, can't get it's address properly registered.

Is there a phone number I can call? Some documents I can provide to a member of Google staff somewhere to prove there is indeed a house at the place I want to add it with the postal address I want to add?

Best regards,

Sylvain.

Sartrouville, France
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Adding home address constantly rejected/not applied

Hello @Local78500,

The "Add a missing place" function on Google Maps isn't meant for homes. It's used to add to the map places like businesses or public spaces, not private places like houses.

If you want to add your home to your map, you can create a private label in it's address, that will only be seen by you. You can do that by dropping a pin in the address and tapping on "Label". You can click here for more information about it.

You can also add your home and work addresses as labels in the settings tab on Google Maps, on the menu that is on the left part of the screen.

By adding an address in the label Home or Work, you will be able to select them faster when searching for directions, and will be able to see them easily on your map. You can click here for more information about this.

I'm not in the Local Guides Team, I'm only a Local Guide like you, but I hope I was able to help.

Best wishes,

Jesica

Level 8

Hello Sylvain
As I know, you can't add your private home address on Google Maps, because it considers as  "private place", but you can label it.  
follow this link to know more. 
https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6320846?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Level 2

Hello,

First, thanks for your candid reply, but you missed the point entirely.

I am not a native English speaker, so for me "place" and "address" means the same thing.

I've tried both reporting a missing "place" and reporting a "problem" while searching for the right address.

I couldn't care less if people can find "my place", what I do care about is the fact that my postal address isn't recognise as a valid address by Google Map, and because of that, all other websites/applications using Google Maps' API to check the validity of an address do not accept my address as valid. The consequence? Either my neighbour get my deliveries, or I can't order anything.

Thank you.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Local78500

Google Maps listing are for POI (Points Of Interest), that means business activities and natural features that are accessible for the public, like shopping places or parks.

In Google Maps you can of course add "your places" under the "my places" tab. The address added and labelled in there are accessible only for you.

I have marked @Jesi reply as "solution" because is well detailed, even if @bassel-tawil answer is correct too. Thank you both

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your reply @Local78500 that you wrote while I was responding to the first post.

If there is an error in the maps, so that no one can reach your address, you can report the error using the "send a feedback" menu on your app.

Please give a detailed description of the error in there, adding screenshot and photos, if you have any, for Google Maps team to fix it

Ermes

Level 8

Did you tried to suggest a change to solve this problem?Screenshot_20180915-130506_Maps.jpg

Level 2

Thanks @bassel-tawil I don't have an Android phone, and I don't see a similar screen on iOS 😕

On iOS I've tried both the "add missing place" (as per the above thread, we know it won't work, even tho there is a "House" place type, and Suggest an edit.

Both got "NOT APPLIED".

On the computer version, I can only suggest a change to an existing "place", not add a missing postal/street address number that Google doesn't have in it's database.

I also tried to submit an edit on the road section itself, selecting the "other" category, and explaining the situation. This is currently in "PENDING" status and has been for a number of days already.

Best of all, I just checked and Microsoft Bing Maps has my address properly listed as valid and resolves to the right place!