ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: A small ray of sunshine - a small ray of hope

Hi @helga19 some fires are caused by humans either deliberately or because they are careless. I don't know about California but most fires in Australia are caused by lightning strikes and trees falling onto powerlines in storms.

It can be very difficult if not impossible to put out a bush fire. Generally speaking no-one actually tries too. What they do is to try and contain the fire to a given area and protect assets within that area as best they can. Containment is usually done either by bulldozing a wide path of clear ground or buy creating a new small controlled fire in advance of the main fire and burn it back towards the main one. Both techniques work to contain a fire in an area if its not too windy. If its windy all bets are off. The bushfire that almost totally destroyed the towns of Marysville, Kinglake and Steeles Creek travelled over 20km in a couple of minutes because the winds picked up the burning embers and dumped them into the dry forest many kilometres in front of the main fire - these are called spot fires and they quickly grow into another fire front. The fire didn't go out until the weather changed after several days. On the day of that fire we could see it from my house which is another 20km away from it. The fire was so big you could see an orange glow and flames going into the air. Embers and ash (fortunately black) were landing on our house.

The worst one I've personally experienced was 1983 called "Ash Wednesday", in that fire there were hundreds of different fires but the effect was that the coastal and mountain regions from near Adelaide, around Melbourne and towards Sydney all burned. In that one we had to stay in my school because the forest around the school was on fire. We didn't get to go home until very early the next morning when our parents were allowed in to collect us.

Connect Moderator

That is truly amazing @ErmesT well done to the large group of people :).

Connect Moderator

Is raining again today, @PaulPavlinovich@Sorbe

Winter is arrived, the sea is a bit more aggressive, but the good news is that the beach is completely cleaned.

490 people totally, working in two weekend, removed all the plastic in 12.5 Km, that is the lenght of Jesolo beach.

I still working on the recap, so this is only an unfinisced video, @helga19@DavidTito, but good enough for a "private view"

Level 9

Hello dear @ErmesT

I can not find the words to express my  gratitude and respect to the people who have done such  important,hard and necessary work!

If I would live in this area I exactly join to your action.

You are the man of great personality!

Thanks for sharing!

It is a good example to all of us!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ErmesT

Thank you for this update and most of all congratulations to you all for the great effort and for the fantastic result. 

I will also tag @JavieraAu in this post as she is really concern about this topic. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@ErmesT I've got it the Map all ready I will be patiently waiting for wonderful [Recap] take your time

Connect Moderator

Oh no, @DavidTito

This is really a preview for the community only, and the link will be removed once the final edit is done 🙂

Connect Moderator

Raining here too my friend @ErmesT. We had a few lovely warm days heralding in an early summer feeling but yesterday we had a large destructive storm which crossed most of my home state of Victoria downing trees, knocking out power and tearing roofs off buildings. Today we had a sunny day but the last three hours we've had a huge rain system that has dropped nearly 40mm at my house. Fortunately I live on the side of a mountain so any accumulated ground water goes to visit my downstream neighbours. The world is different now.

Level 10

回應: A small ray of sunshine - a small ray of hope

Nature creates both beauty and threats:((

Local Guides from Taiwan.

My LGs profile➤https://www.google.com.tw/maps/contrib/101643820823137654634/◀

Level 8

@ErmesT Now I'm just more excited these sorts of comments get me on the edge of my seat....... I love it