ThanulakshanS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A Walk Through My Local Guide Journey

Hello It's Me Thanulakshan Sriskantharajah  From Sri lanka.

I'm Level 8 Local Guide And The Owner Of  Jaffna Local Guide Community And Also Member of Sri lanka Local Guides Community. I Become a Local Guide by By Coincidence But Now Its Become My Passion. Found Out that this program is kind of Interesting to me as i am a Traveler Frequently using Google Maps.

Thanulakshan SriskantharajahThanulakshan Sriskantharajah

From When I'm Using Google Maps - I First  Installed Google Maps in  2011 in My Nokia E65, In that Period i'm Using for the Navigation Purpose. At That Time my age is 15 I Don't Know about the My Contribution And No Idea About  Fixing the Places. If I Visit New Places First of all I Check in Google Maps For a Clear View About that place. Reading the Reviews Then I Decide to Go or Not. That Time I Realized I'm Also Can Review the Places And Fixing the Information Past Two Years I'm Interested in Contribution With Uploading Photos. Now it's Become My Hobby Also. My Home Town is Jaffna There Are Lot of Places are Missing in Google Maps in My Free Times I'm Hosting Meetup's in Different Places and fixing one by one I'm Always Try To Adding the New Places And Add the Correct Information.  If i Visit a New Place I Just Take a Photos And Writing Genuine Reviews for Business Places And Its Help To Other People Who They using Google Maps To Take Decisions. I Sawed Lot of Tourist Using Google Maps For the Navigation Purpose Because of Language Problem That Time I Feel Really bad lot of Places With Our Proper Information. That's Really Inspired me to Fixing the places Not only Me Encouraging My Friends To Contributions. I Love to Share My Photographs With Others On Maps Its Help Travelers See Their Places Through My Photos. 

My ContributionMy Contribution

Me And My Community 

Jaffna Local GuidesJaffna Local Guides

First of all  Vesak Lantern Preparation With Geo Walk   is the First meet up I Participated Accidentally. That Time @IlankovanT He Explain About Local Guides Connect Community. I Am Really Wondered  Then He Told Join the Srilanka Local Guides Community , Hangout & Facebook Groups. That Day Night Immediately Join the Groups And See the past Activities They Done a Great Job in Past Still Continue. Then Every month End They Had a Hangout Conversation I'm Really Excited To Talk Other Local Guides From Sri lanka And Like to Join Their Future Activities. 

HangoutHangout

That Time Unfortunately No Other Local Guides Join the Hangout Maybe Busy in Weekends. Then He Ask Me About Briefly Then We Talk Lot And Ask to Create Community and Host Meetups He Gave a Brief Explanations About Hosting Meetup And Google Plus Community. That's Really Inspired me a lot to Start the Community And Hosting Meetup Then That Night i Start The Community And Plan For the Meetup And Submit After the Approval I Share the Link with Him he's Really Happy About that. and the meetup day he's in Abroad He Call me and Tell Some tips Too That's Really a Big Encouragement Then I Share the Recap Post He's Really Wondered and Happy ,  That's How The Born of Jaffna Local Guides Community.   

My Home Town  

I Born in Jaffna , Northern Province of Srilanka. There Are Lot of Tourist Attractions in Jaffna Beach,Temples,Historical Places,Parks. I Have a Support Community "Jaffna Local Guides". Gathering People With Similar Interest From Jaffna. We Host Several Meetups Through Our Community Such as Geo-Walks,Map editing,Photo Walks. Being in a Community is Best thing to Get Knowledge And Sharing Knowledge With Other Local Guides. i'm Currently Living In Colombo Capital of Sri lanka For Study Purpose and Work Purpose. During My Semester Vacation I'm Always Traveled To Jaffna. That The Places Im Hosting Lot of Meetups. 

IMG_20170819_172950.jpg

My Meet-ups  

Following are the Meetups I Have Hosted So far 

1. Jaffna First Meet up 

2. Jaffna Geo Walk,Standly Road

3. Jaffna Hospital Road Map Editing 

4. The World Wide Geo Walk-Jaffna

5. KKS Road Map Editing 

6. Lipton's Seat Geo Walk

7. Diyaluma Falls Geo Walk 

8. Little Adam's Peak Geo Walk

9. Nine Arch Bridge Geo Walk

10. Sinharajah nature Trail Photo Walk 

11. Kalviyankadu Map Editing - Meet up Challenge

12. Marble Beach Geo Walk-Trinco

13. Cargills Square Map Editing

14. Marutharmadam Map Editing

15. 10 Trees Map Editing 

16. 36 Geo Walk Jaffna

meet-up's I have attended so far, even though they were hosted by other fellow local guides.

1. Sri lanka Vesak Lantern Preparation 

2. Jaffna Map Editing 

3. Lets Edit Chunnakam

4. Jaffna Map Editing Status 

5.Join us Free Rain 

My Favorite Meetup Ever in My Local Guides Journey  Inspires the Succeeding Generation  Join us Free Rain Host By @IlankovanT This Not only a Meetup, Changing the World to Green And Also  He is Target For 1000 Trees 

Batticalo Local GuidesBatticalo Local Guides

Google Maps with Local Guides around the World are the Best Combination To Develop Global Geographic information much Better.

Finally I am Very Much Thank full To  Srilankan Local Guides @IlankovanT Brother Inspired me a Lot,  @Kumaran_thanga , @KajeeGK , @akm , @kajee , @AnuradhaP. And Connect Moderators @ErmesT , @PaulPavlinovich Thank You Very Much! 

Jaffna, Sri Lanka
32 comments
Level 10

Re: A Walk Through My Local Guide Journey

@ThanulakshanS Very impressive and proud of you. Good Luck!!!

Level 8

Level 8

Thank you Very Much For Your Kind Words Aye @AnuradhaP

Level 10

Very nice local guides journey @ThanulakshanS best wishes for connect live 2018.

Level 10

Hi @ThanulakshanS,

It was great to go trough your local guide journey. I have enjoyed discovering some more from you. 

You are a stunning member and very active. You can be proud.

All the best for the connect event.

Jul

Connect Moderator

Great impressive Local Guide journey bro. Thanks for sharing @ThanulakshanS. Best wishes for Connect live 2018.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Wonderful post @ThanulakshanS, Thanks for sharing this beautiful post about your LG journey.

all the best 🙂

Level 7

Congratulations on your amazing journey ! Good job !
Level 10

@ThanulakshanS Amazing write up, and so many great activities. So many Local Guides heroes from Sri Lanka. Again, Sri Lanka is another place I have planned and planned but never got there yet. Just wishing yourself all the best for the Connect Live 2018 application.