ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

A Rose for the Planet - a new Local Guides campaign

What is represented by a rose? Is the rose is the symbol of love / the symbol of beauty? Probably it is, and in this post I want to talk about love and beauty, but please do not stop reading now. There is something I need to explain first

What is represented by this rose, and why "A Rose for the Planet"?

This rose is a symbol, real and strong, of how our planet is changing. This rose is one of the first photos that I took on 2020, during a walk along the river, on January 3rd.

Caption: a yellow rose in a garden, with the text "A rose for the Planet" - Photo credit: Local guide @ermestCaption: a yellow rose in a garden, with the text "A rose for the Planet" - Photo credit: Local guide @ErmesT

A Rose for the Planet - A new Local Guides campaign

Being Local Guides, our planet is our place of operation. We add photos, we write reviews, we edit places, we report missing road. But we are also the most careful observers of the changes. Our tools are Google Maps, Street View, Google Earth. No one have a so accurate representation of our planet, a representation that is dynamic, changing and evolving day by day, thanks to our contributions.

The planet itself is changing, slowly, with small details that the Local Guides are able to capture.

Climate change is making the changes faster, and we can capture them in big and small details.

Here below a Lifeguard tower in a beach near Venice, the terrain completely changed after an extreme high tide, and a few days of an unusual storm

Caption: two view of the same beach: on the top, the beach on October 27th. On the bottom, the same beach on December 1st - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: two view of the same beach: on the top, the beach on October 27th. On the bottom, the same beach on December 1st - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

The Forests of the Dolomites are no longer the same, after 18 million trees fell in five minutes, at the end of October 2018, felled by a storm of violence never seen before.

Caption: photos of fallen trees taken on Dolomite Mountains on the spring of 2019, documenting the change in the woods - Photo Credit Local Guide @ermestCaption: photos of fallen trees taken on Dolomite Mountains on the spring of 2019, documenting the change in the woods - Photo Credit Local Guide @ErmesT

Let me introduce to you the Kentish plover, a bird of a WWF protected species that lives in the beach dunes.

To protect the nest, this summertime, the dunes have been fenced, to prevent tourists from going there.

Caption: Kentish plover walking on the beach - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Kentish plover walking on the beach - Photo credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

Unfortunately, after the storm of last November, most of the dunes has been erased by the fury of the sea. Again, the aspect of the planet change, and the aspect of the Map too

Caption: The dunes along the beach, on August 2019 and January 2020 - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: The dunes along the beach, on August 2019 and January 2020 - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

I can share moro photos, I can write more stories, but I believe the principle is already clear.

Why "A Rose for the Planet"?

In Treviso, the area where I live, winter is cold, and from December to February the temperature on the night is of some degrees below zero °C.

Roses are known as "the flower of May". It can happen, in December, to have some rosebud, even if totally frozen, like this one in a photo of 2009

Caption: A frozen rosebud on December 2009 - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: A frozen rosebud on December 2009 - Photo credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

What we see in this photo, is something that should be totally impossible, on an open area in the North East of Italy in January.

Caption: a beautiful Yellow rose, on January 3rd - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: a beautiful Yellow rose, on January 3rd - Photo credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

A Rose for the Planet is, in this case, the real symbol of the climate change. Scaring, more than beautiful

#arosefortheplanet  is also the hashtag that I want to invite you to use, to fight against the climate change.

The planet is changing, and the Local Guide are documenting this.

What have you seen around you, that was totally abnormal a few years ago?

Storms, wind, but also flowers, or birds that never were there.

A Rose for the Planet

Take a photo, and write a post, telling us where you take your picture, and what is wrong in there. Share your post on the social media whit the hashtag #arosefortheplanet 

Click here to see what the Local Guides are writing on this Topic

Together, we will re-design the planet

Treviso, Province of Treviso, Italy
114 comments
Level 8

Re: A Rose for the Planet - a new Local Guides campaign

Thank you @ErmesT . Your thoughts are very clear that there is no one but we can save our planet by planting 🌲 and paint our earth with the greenness of the trees . I really like the campaign .

Shahriar

BD

Level 10

@ErmesT  Very much interesting subject presenting with us. Thanks you so much.

Omar

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Connect Moderator

@ErmesT A big hug my dear brother and fellow. Its a nice proposal withe nice tag #Arosefortheplanet. There are many abnormal ayndromes arround us which is notice us about the climate change. I will join with your campeign...

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your through @ShahriarAzadEvan 

Yes, we can help by planting threes, but we need to do more. That rose in January is possible only because the temperature is rising.

Have you seen any indication of the climate change in your area?

Level 8

@ErmesT Yes I have noticed that due to climate change so many types of problems are happening . And the climate change is not fault of nature it also depends on us . If we do better the world will change otherwise it is on the way of destruction . So it is time to change our habits and our life .

Shahriar

BD

Connect Moderator

Thank you @OmarBD 

I am really scared when I see something like that, because it is a deep signal, sent on a soft way.

Have you ever noticed some change in the environment in Bangladesh? Do you want to tell us what you have seen?

Level 8

Great idea @ErmesT 

I just prepare post about wind kalamita in my country in 2004.

I will add your hastag.

Karol

Karol Tomasch
Level 8

@ErmesT I can see where this going, this introduction is hindsight of a overview of whats really taking place in the world and we strongly keep this at bay. Next I will open another porthole in  Local Guides Clean The World - The Map I am liberate by your storie erems

Titled 

A Rose for the Planet - a new Local Guides campaign

Level 8

@ErmesT  A New Layer is now open: for Local Guides [Recap] entry. I have chosen a location taken from your photo Dolomite Mountains  to be the first location, take a look at my screenshot below

location source: Dolomite Mountainslocation source: Dolomite Mountains

And I'm ready to take [Recaps] RSVP, associated Meet ups 

good luck everybody