AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Why you have been selected for the Summit 2017? Lucky 150, Share your thoughts

@DiAnaUS thanks for mentioning me and I can confirm I've been invited.

Great question on how we get chosen @AnuradhaP and I think helping people apply for the next Summit is a good thing to do. I like to think I was chosen for a few simple reasons

- I am a Local Guide not to improve my situation in life but to help others

- I use the services (like Maps, Reviews and LGC) and I like to give back balancing my taking with some giving

- I am able to bring in my skills at organising meetups and photography to help others make better photos for Maps (and everything else) e.g. The 36 Walk

- Contributing to maps and helping others helps make life meaningful

On top of those things, I really enjoy my interactions with the Local Guides Team and spending some of my "spare" time here on LGC, I'm not here as much as I would like to be but I try and I do actively seek out posts related to my city of Melbourne to try and help people. I also moderate a Local Guides community on g+.

I will see the 150 soon in San Francisco, for some this will be a reunion from lgsummit16 and for a great many more it will be the beginning of new long term friendships. I regularly interact with lgsummit16 people and there is still a hangout running which started before the last summit for the 75 attendees. Amazing that its still going and we still talk to each other. The summit makes genuine friends and I look forward to seeing them again and sharing some hugs alongside meeting lots of new people.

Level 10

Re: Why you have been selected for the Summit 2017? Lucky 150, Share your thoughts

@JonasKL Thank you for your thoughts and they are good points.

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich Nice to hear you are invited and thanks for your thoughts.

Connect Moderator

well, first of all congratulations for all the selected LG. Honestly, I have no idea about the reason why I am selected to the LG summit this year, but I might have these ideas;

concistency 

All of us know that the main reason of being selected as contributors is how we are being consistent of sharing our reviews, photos and discoveries. I am not really having that much point to say that I am really the "top", however I try to contribute for very first time I joined local guides last year. The team may not choose person who are inconsistent, I think.

authenticity 

being authentic is unique way for making the map alive. All people look up the information on online maps based on people's authenticity thoughts. How the food is, how the place is, how the idea of a place is. We often find many good photographs in gmaps, and the best one is the authentic photograph.

curiosity

Local Guides who are curious enough they will addict to visit this connect all the time! like what we did everyday. 

and the last, luck, since it was my first time applying Local Guides Summit, I really have no idea why do the team choose me! I know that many people deserve to be selected, but we never know what was the idea behind the selection.

for those who have selected, Congratulations!!

Best Regards

Nunung Afu'ah

Blitar Local Guides, Indonesia.

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 8

@SoniaK wrote:

I think I was selected because I said I would teach @Andras_H salsa and learn paragliding from him. They probably wanted to enjoy the show. But I don't see him in the 65 names. Has he received the mail or not?

Hi @SoniaK, congrats:) You deserved it. Unfortunately we can't teach each other, because I haven't received the mail. maybe next time:)

Level 10

@NunungAfuah thanks for sharing your thoughts and I think consistency and accuracy in contributions plays a big part.

Connect Moderator

yep, I do agree with you @AnuradhaP I miss one point, accuracy. 

Can't wait to see you 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 9

@AnuradhaP Yes this will be helpful for many people who wish to apply for the 2018 summit.
Me, as Local guides do overall contributions to Google maps. If you ask what is my passion I would say Hosting meetups and conducting knowledge sharing sessions with fellow local guides. Being a nature lover, I enjoy adding photos, 360s, virtual tours of ecosystems to Google maps. These are few of my best meetups and contributions to Google maps. 

Few of my meet-ups, hangouts and knowledge sharing sessions

1-  lagoon trailVideo

2-  cafe talk - Video

3-  Batticaloa photowalk - Video

4-  Batticaloa Geowalk - Video

5-  National LG meetupVideo

6-  Batticaloa book donationVideo

7-  Batticaloa Map editing

8-  SriLanka Local Guides Geo Walk - Video

9-  SriLanka Local Guides Geo Walk - Video

10- Sri Lanka - The "36" Arugambay - Video

11- Knowledge Sharing SessionVideo

12- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - February 2017 

13- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - March 2017

14- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - April 2017 

15- Batticaloa Local Guides community moderators hangout

Level 9

@IlankovanT incredible work maaan I watch your videos you love what you do , you raised the standard of the community , I believe you will also selected for

2018 Summit and I will see you there 🙂

@IlankovanT wrote:

@AnuradhaP Yes this will be helpful for many people who wish to apply for the 2018 summit.
Me, as Local guides do overall contributions to Google maps. If you ask what is my passion I would say Hosting meetups and conducting knowledge sharing sessions with fellow local guides. Being a nature lover, I enjoy adding photos, 360s, virtual tours of ecosystems to Google maps. These are few of my best meetups and contributions to Google maps. 

Few of my meet-ups, hangouts and knowledge sharing sessions

1-  lagoon trailVideo

2-  cafe talk - Video

3-  Batticaloa photowalk - Video

4-  Batticaloa Geowalk - Video

5-  National LG meetupVideo

6-  Batticaloa book donationVideo

7-  Batticaloa Map editing

8-  SriLanka Local Guides Geo Walk - Video

9-  SriLanka Local Guides Geo Walk - Video

10- Sri Lanka - The "36" Arugambay - Video

11- Knowledge Sharing SessionVideo

12- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - February 2017 

13- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - March 2017

14- Sri Lanka Local Guides Community Hangout - April 2017 

15- Batticaloa Local Guides community moderators hangout

Level 10

@IlankovanT Thanks for sharing your thoughts.