PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

What kind of local festivals do you have in your city/town?

I live in the buYou never know what you'll get the green man says walk in MelbourneYou never know what you'll get the green man says walk in Melbournesh fringe of Melbourne. Our city has hundreds of multicultural festivals every year centred around all the different cultures that have settled in Melbourne. A couple of them are my favourites because they celebrate everything that is good about life, the Faerie Rade is one of them because it is a people's parade of acceptance. It doesn't matter who you are or what you're like in your "normal" life, once you put on the faerie cosplay you're in. Each year I've watched this event grow originally from half a dozen fae folk to literally hundreds this year. All of these people gather in one of the city gardens, then do a walking lap of part of the city returning to the gardens for a picnic and family oriented fun. It is quite a magical experience to take part in one of these festivals which while largely made up is still rooted in the mysticism of the past. I don't doubt some of these people do really believe that faeries are real.

What sorts of interesting cultural events happen where you live?

Melbourne VIC, Australia
19 comments
Level 10

Shree Krshnajanmashtami ।। a festival of rejoice

Nepal is a multicultural country. There is no month free of feativals. In this month of Bhadra also we celebratd Shree Krishnajanmashtami. Shree Krishna refers to lord Krishna and Janmashtami means born in 8th day of Suklapakshya (waxing crescent moon phase). Krishna is taken as 9th avatar (reencarnation) of lord Bishnu. The book Shreemadbhagawat Geeta contains the knowledge he had given to his friend Arjun. In this day people celebrate with dancing and singing to mean that life is to live with rejoice.

As a Google local guide I am happy to share a part of rejoice that had happened the day before yesterday in Nepal. Thank you so much!

Connect Moderator

Re: Shree Krshnajanmashtami ।। a festival of rejoice

What an amazingly colourful celebration @BishowvijayaP thanks for sharing.

Connect Moderator

Re: What kind of local festivals do you have in your city/town?

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

we have this in Bavaria...

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Travel-and-Advice/Traditional-Costume-Parade-in-Bavaria/m-p/93...

maybe you have already seen.

But in fact we wait for the Oktoberfest 🍻 😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

Re: What kind of local festivals do you have in your city/town?

DSC03615_R.jpg
日本の夏祭り「仙台七夕まつり」
400年続く”女性”と”平和”と”無音”の大祭

DSC03384_R.jpgDSC03467_R.jpgDSC03351_R.jpgDSC00185_R.jpgDSC03620_R.jpgDSC03594_R.jpgDSC03486_R.jpgDSC03488_R.jpgDSC03446_R.jpg

七夕は中国発祥の行事で、アジア各地で開催されています。
ご存知の通り仙台七夕は日本最大の七夕祭りです。
日本では7月7日を七夕の日としていますが、
仙台は中国のカレンダーに習い1カ月遅れの8月6~8日の開催に変更されています。

DSC03347_R.jpg

仙台駅前にある約1.7kmのアーケード街が会場となります。

全長約5mの「吹き流し」と呼ばれる飾りを横に5つ並べる決まりがあります。

アーケード街の空間に色鮮やかで巨大な飾りがぎっしりと詰め込まれます。

七夕飾りは専門の企業、職人による手作りで、1年かけて制作されます。
七夕飾りのを作るためだけの紙工場がいくつもあります。

DSC03597_R.jpgDSC03537_R.jpgDSC03604_R.jpgDSC03385_R.jpgDSC03368_R.jpgDSC03521_R.jpgDSC03357_R.jpgDSC03402_R.jpgDSC03432_R.jpg 

実は仙台七夕、日本最大級の女性のためのお祭りです。

約400年前に仙台の街を築いた武将、伊達政宗によって、
女性文化の発展と社会参画を目的として
スタートした、と伝えられています。

吹き流しの飾りはどれも女性らしい可愛さや華やかさがあります。

仙台という街は独自の文化を遂げてきました。
アイデアマンだった伊達政宗は、
城下町全体を自給自足の畑にして(杜の都の由来)
金銭に依存しない街づくりなどを敢行しましたが、
400年前の超最先端都市計画がここにも垣間見えます。

現代も「歴女」と呼ばれる歴史愛好女子から、アニメやゲームを介して愛される伊達政宗ですが、
それは必然の事と言えるでしょう。

DSC03498_R.jpg 

仙台七夕は平和七夕とも呼ばれています。

終戦後の復興を願って開催された祭りが現代の原型になっているからです。
そして開催日の8月6日にも由来しています。

DSC03506_R.jpgDSC03499_R.jpgDSC03501_R.jpgDSC03417_R.jpgDSC03355_R.jpgDSC03462_R.jpg 

飾りには「千羽鶴」を多数見かけます。千羽鶴には祈りの意味があり、平和を願い飾られています。

DSC03611_R.jpg

そして最大級の無音で静かな夏祭りです。
アクティブで激しいことが好まれる日本の夏まつりとしては異例のものです。

しかし実際には3日間で200万人以上が訪れ、1日当たりの動員数が国内第2位を誇るので賑やかです。

DSC03391_R.jpgDSC03392_R.jpgDSC03385_R.jpgDSC03388_R.jpgDSC03387_R.jpgDSC03397_R.jpgDSC03431_R.jpgDSC03451_R.jpgDSC03478_R.jpgDSC03598_R.jpgDSC03434_R.jpgDSC03515_R.jpg

七夕飾りのバリエーションですが、商店により店の前に飾るものが大多数です。
他に行政が飾るものと、平和運動など政治的な飾り物が僅かにあります。
実行委員会による飾りの審査、表彰があります。

最後にアクセシビリティについてですが、
印象として外国人観光客数は1割未満とまだ少ないようです。
今年から本格的に英語翻訳ボランティアを配置し、外国語対応のインフォメーションが藤崎デパート1階に設置されました。
バリアフリー乳幼児トイレは、デパートや地下鉄駅、公共ビル等を利用することになります。
仙台の祭りはセキュリティが厳しく、
有人のごみステーションが点在する限りで他にゴミ箱の設置が無く便利とは言えません。

ベビーカーを引いた観光客は多数いますが、印象として人ごみの中でトラブルになるようなことはないと思います。

DSC03453_R.jpg
仙台七夕は女性的で美しいお祭りですが、もう一つの美しさがあります。
200万もの人が飾りを通過するのに、
千切れたり汚れたりしたものを見かけたことがないのです。

これは日本人の「物を大切にする」という教養が具現化した美しさではないでしょうか。

私たちは日本のお祭りを紹介しましょう🍧🗾🌞で日本の祭りを紹介しています。

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for sharing, @BishowvijayaP.

I'll merge your post with What kind of local festivals do you have in your city/town? It will be well recognized there, I'm sure.

In my home town we have a Yogurt Festival during August. It gathers dancers, singers and performers from all around the world to express their culture on the same stage once a year. In the end of it a Yogurt Beauty Queen is chosen and crowned. The whole festivals is under the name of yogurt because we are famous for the healthful qualities in it, found, only in our region. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

お久しぶりです @BishowvijayaP

私はかつてネパールを訪れた際、歴史ある伝統が長く続いていることを知りました。
そしてあなた達は静かで穏やかです。あなた達の伝統ある信仰がそのような気質を育んでいるのでしょうか。

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

Thank you so much for your response @PaulPavlinovich. 😃 I am also pleased to know about culture around you. The culture is the one which unites people together. How much is the external influence there on culture?

Level 10

In our rural areas of Nepal yogurt is a common drink as every family uses to keep at least one buffalo/cow in their home. But its interesting to know that there is festival somewhere related to yogurt. Thanks for sharing @IrrPavlova. 🙂

Level 10

I was a bit busy on teaching @YasumiKikuchi. Our perception is that Jpanese people are hard working and they have no free time. But I see through you that people manage time to celebrate local festivals. This is great my friend. 

In Nepal we have festivals almost in every 15 days and celebration continues since 5,000 yrs ago. Also we have a different calander which is currently running in 2075 years. I hope to meet you when you come to Nepal once again. 🙂