AntonellaGr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Venezia hidden places

There are hidden places in Venice that you can’t even imagine… you can’t imagine what’s behind a closed, normal wooden door. This is what you see when you arrive, a long walk of similar buildings.

20190302_134810.jpg

Then you open the door and you see this, a huge palace with an inner garden, we are at Palazzo Zenobio, which was also the seat of The Moorat-Raphael College of Venice

The whole building is full of history, the history of Armenia

Palace EntrancePalace Entrance

You turn left and you find a “Stairway to heaven” and this is how heaven looks like, an incredible hall plunged in frescoes and mirrors

Hall of the mirrorsHall of the mirrors

Going back on the ground floor again, you turn right and there it is: the Antica Stamperia Armena (Ancient Armenian Print Shop) almost ready for opening a new shop of books, diaries and objects related to printing activities. Obejcts not for everyone, very refined and delicate, made of paper when we are no longer used to reading printed books as technologies make reading possible on digital platforms. When entering the Stamperia (not open to the public yet) my feeling was that I was entering the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, the huge library of old, forgotten titles in the Shadow of the Wind

Stamperia ArmenaStamperia Armena

Papers used by StamperiaPapers used by Stamperia

It was Satruday before the end of Carnival when @ermest  and I visited the Stamperia and palazzo Zenobio. Here is a picture of a Gala Evening

Gala Evening. Publication authorized by Samuel BaghdassarianGala Evening. Publication authorized by Samuel Baghdassarian

… and as it was Carnival I had to eat frittelle, with zabaione and crema Chantilly. Really I had to! And I ate frittelle before lunch when we had something light like this. Enjoy!

Light lunch after frittelleLight lunch after frittelle

Venezia, VE, Italia
12 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Venezia hidden places

It was a great day @AntonellaGr , started with the visit of Palazzo Zenobio

Well, I agree, from outside it is impossible to imagine what you will find behind the door.

But also the external view, with the coloured buildings, was amazing

Caption: Venice, Rio dei Carmini, in a view from Palazzo Zenobio - Local guide @ermestCaption: Venice, Rio dei Carmini, in a view from Palazzo Zenobio - Local guide @ErmesT

What was amazing for me was to visit the "Antica Stamperia Armena". It recall to my mind of a book, "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore", that I read last year. I am sure @brittym and @KarenVChin will understand what I mean. The printing machine, the ancient paper, traditional tools that only a few people know how to use it. At the end we started to talk about Aldus Pius Manuntius, can you believe it? Look at the last picture

Caption: details of the printing shop - @Local Guide @ermestCaption: details of the printing shop - @local Guide @ErmesT

Definitely a beautiful and really hidden place

Caption: The coloured painted glass of a window on the ancient Armenian Printing Shop - On the top you can see the symbol of Aldus Manuntius - Local Guide @ermestCaption: The coloured painted glass of a window on the ancient Armenian Printing Shop - On the top you can see the symbol of Aldus Manuntius - Local Guide @ErmesT

Level 7

@AntonellaGr  Its really amazing. Now this beautiful place is on my bucket list. 🙂

Level 8

Hi @ErmesT 

It seems that Stamperia Armena reminds us of books we have read.I think I will read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore"

Your first pic is amazing, it's so colorful. These are what I call Venice Winter colors

Ciao

Antonella

Level 8

@SuryaPS 

glad you like it. It definitely must be in your list

Cheers

Antonella

Level 8

RE: Venezia hidden places

유구한 아르메니아의 역사와 좋은 사진을 잘 봤습니다. 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @AntonellaGr,

This is one of my favourite posts! Thanks a lot for sharing it here. I've read it once, but I'll definitely get back to it again. I love to read about hidden places and things that are not only for all the tourists. Venice is one of the places I've been and really made me want to learn more and more.

@ErmesT Thanks for showing me @AntonellaGr post! Can you please both of you remind me what was the story behind this ancient well on my photo? I think it might also be interesting for everyone 🙂

Caption: A photo taken in Venice, Italy  (Local Guide @KatyaL)Caption: A photo taken in Venice, Italy (Local Guide @KatyaL)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hi @KatyaL 

I am happy you like my post! There are a lot of hidden places in Venice. I have also found out some "haunted houses", sooner or later I will visit them too. In the morning....:) 

I cannot find the story of the well. From your picture I see it is in the Northern side of the church of Santa Maria Formosa. The legend says that the former church was buil in 639 by San Magno, bishop of Oderzo, after seeing the appearance of the Virgin Mary. The Virgin Mary had  the aspect of a beautiful "curvy" (that means "formosa") woman. The bishop was asked  to build a church on the island where a white cloud was suspended.

The church was restored sevaral times, after fire in 1106 and earthquake in 1624. In World War 1 the church was destroyed by bombing and restored in 1926. 

There are around 600 wells in Venice. Strangely enough for a city built on the water, Venice was poor in drinking water. Venetian wells were different from traditional  wells in the world. In fact their water was not obtained by accessing an underground source but by collecting and filtering rainwater

Cheers

Antonella

Gheto Novo (Jewish Ghetto)  Well and portion of a well at the bottom rightGheto Novo (Jewish Ghetto) Well and portion of a well at the bottom right 

Connect Moderator

@AntonellaGr , you and  @ErmesT  have such a wonderful place to "play tourists" when you want in literally in your own backyard (American slang for "being so close to something").  

Here in the States, we have nothing as old as Venezia, with all its pomp and grandeur.  You are inspiring me to visit during Carnival with all the great photos and stories between the two of you posting here on Connect.

Your photos look like one can walk onto a movie set. But it's all real and NOT on a sound stage or make-believe.

Yes, Ermes has found more Mr Penumbra references (Sorry, Ermes, food is calling here). But what really caught my eye was "Frittelle" in your post. You talk about it, but NO PHOTOS of this magical Italian donut served only during Carnival. 

I wonder if your frittelle is similar to the French beignet??  These are very popular in New Orleans, a former French colony is now the state of Louisana

New Orleans is where Mardi Gras is celebrated with all the fun and decadence as in Venezia.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

In fact it seems strange @AntonellaGr , that a city built on the water did not have access to the water, but we should remember that Venice is built on the "Salt water"

You will probably find also a "tour of the wells" @KatyaL , a work of engineering to give fresh drinking water to the city.

Caption: an ancient well on the Jewish ghetto - Venice - Local guide @ermestCaption: an ancient well on the Jewish ghetto - Venice - Local guide @ErmesT 

Back to the subject of this topic, Palazzo Zenobio, where the Antica Stamperia Armena (Ancient Armenian Print Shop) is built, is a very ancient Venetian palace. From outside there is no way to imagine what you will find inside. Here the ceiling of the hall of mirrors. 

Caption: Ceiling of the hall of mirrors - Palazzo Zenobio - Local guide @ermestCaption: Ceiling of the hall of mirrors - Palazzo Zenobio - Local guide @ErmesT

Following the link you will see the internal court: https://goo.gl/maps/Q4UgF8iBWET2.

Watching at the photo, can you believe this is Venice @KarenVChin ?