Vasudeo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

The Lesson taught by Gentleman on Wheels!

lessons5_2_original.jpg

Hello everyone and Namaste! 

Post to my previous thread, the feedback's and appreciations I received while interacting with all of you, I found out many unique things about this subject matter across the globe. Especially from @ErmesT and upon his guidance I have gone through a artical created by @TraciC last year and also he mentioned about our hero LG @Sashabg and Alvaro Alvaro from the Rolling On series , which I felt the need to discuss for spreading awareness of the subject matter.

lessons2_1_original.jpgMany of us may think why I am behind this, even my family & friends do feel the same way sometimes; and that’s true and valid!

Everyone feels pity and have become humble towards the people with mobility issues, as per my knowledge, understanding and experience they respect your humbleness towards them but in actual sense they do not like to be favored by someone throughout their life and it’s a fact! Black truth!

"Instead they love to be independent! Provided we do our duties by making their way free!"lessons_2_original.jpg

Friends let me share with you How I met a gentleman on wheels and received Learning from him!

Well, I came across this gentleman here in town at the beginning of my career. I was at that phase of my life where I distributed my CV to dozens of people longing for a chance to kick start             my ambition.

To my surprise, I found the fellow almost with half non-functioning body by birth, but highly educated and class one officer in a Government organization, being physically challenged. Married to a lady with same features and conditions; the duo had 2 -year-old son in normal condition.

It was my privilege to be with him for couple of months, where I learned more about challenges of accessibility faced in those days.

"A feeling then struck my mind-‘what are, we, as human being contributing towards the community?

The major concerns I had come across closely are that,

• Moving freely in society, community.
  • Difficulties in visiting places due to lack of necessary arrangements of accessibility.
  • Not able to go out with family and explore or even the nearest place just to hang around despite both of them having wheelchairs.
  • Neither hang around for leisure activities, nor attend any live event
  • Finding difficulties moving in residential and commercial building, home and office.

There are many painful concerns excluding this. I discovered these while I was with him day in and out for couple of months and assisted him on the go, the way possible (I cannot say the best).

The gentleman died with multiple organ failures at an early age. His words are still fresh in my mind and now are going on mute mode as the years pass by. Nothing was in my control and now that I think of it, I think of promoting a cause towards his name through Google Local Guide platform.

lessons5_1_original.jpg

Well, thanks to Google! I have taken an initiative to work closely with this subject matter as a volunteer by writing letters to the societies, commercial buildings, hospitals private and                          Government institutions; addressing this subject to all Government authorities.

I am parallelly updating right information on Google Maps, uploading photos specially related to accessibility issues or arrangements, where ever I find wheelchair inaccessibility.

Once again, heartfelt and warm thanks to everyone for appreciating my previous thread, hope this thread will spread the massage across the community with a supersonic speed.

"Let’s guide the wheels of the Wheelchair!"

lessons4_1_original.jpg

* I will come up soon with one more personal experience of my childhood friend (Actually I was in my childhood and she was grown on wheels), if I found her again ( as we lost our connections for years now)! 

Cheers and Happy mapping!

Vasudeo

Vasudeo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
21 comments
Level 7

Re: The Lesson taught by Gentleman on Wheels!

Hey @Vasudeo,

It's such great experience that you shared with all of us. It's a responsibility of all of us to help them who has something less than everyone else in any possible ways. 

It's an everyone duty to spread awareness of this kind of thing across the globe. 

In this note, I want to share one great quote from which I have gone through some days back authored by Sharron Angle  

"There are a plan and a purpose, a value to every life, no matter what its location, age, gender or disability"

Connect Moderator

@Vasudeo your words went into my soul deeply.
I thought: really, I try to help people, improve our lives. I contribute to Google Maps (photos, reviews, answers to questions about places visited, etc.).
But ... What else could I do?
Your great experience gives me helpful advice.
I quote: I am parallelly updating right information on Google Maps, uploading photos specially related to accessibility issues or arrangements, where ever I find wheelchair inaccessibility.
Thanks for the advice!
I can do it, and I will do it!

Level 7

Hi @swapnildabade24 That is very true and fact of the life what she had mentioned in her bio “Right AngleOne Woman's Journey to Reclaim the Constitution”. if I am not wrong, I have read years back.

I am happy to read your lines and thankful to you for supporting and joining the mission to spread this subject matter.

I am sure you have gone through my previous thread as well, if not it is here for you! 😊

Cheer 

Vasudeo

Vasudeo
Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing @Vasudeo

I want to copy here what I wrote minutes ago, in this post.

In a conversation with the parents of a girl affected by Down syndrome, they told me: "how wil be the life for our daughter, when we will not be able to assist her?". "Our hope hope is in the new technologies", is what they replied to me.

Googler

Hi @Vasudeo. Thank you for taking the time to write this post to share why accessibility information is important and sharing your personal story of how it came to be for you. I enjoyed reading and look forward to reading more from you!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

Hi  @JaneBurunina your words have given me a lot of happiness and satisfaction and sincere thanks for your lines, I loved it, further I also thought a bit that other than or while helping people to improve lives and for a betterment of community’s growth what additional I can do? Which will address this subject matter.

I am happy today reading your valuable feedback and feelings towards the community, thanks for sharing, have great time ahead!

I felt to copy here a latest post by @ErmesT and what he has mentioned - In a conversation with the parents of a girl affected by Down syndrome, they told me: "how will be the life for our daughter, when we will not be able to assist her?". "Our hope hope is in the new technologies", is what they replied to me.

And I loved this! Hope you will love this too!  🙂

Cheer

Vasudeo

Vasudeo
Level 7

Hi @ErmesT Thanks for posting here, I am delighted and feel honored in spreading this!

I remember your recent communication where you have mentioned about your discovery  /A-path-for-wheelchair-at-1600-meters-above-sea-level/ and the stories of 

@Sashabg and Alvaro, mentioning again for awareness.

Thank you so much for helping and guiding me on my mission and being with me. Hence I love to here from you again!

Cheers 

Vasuddeo

Vasudeo
Level 7

Hi @TraciC Thanks for appreciating my lines and feel honored with your valuable words and feedback!

I was so happy as got to know from @ErmesT that there was a  Big Initiative   by you @TraciC where millions of LG's worldwide have contributed to help community specially with this subject matter last year.

I am happy that my passion and mission about subject matter is reaching out and justifying the cause, the massage which I am trying my level best to spread out.

To be honest I do not have many people with mobility issues in my knowledge other than whom we see in community, but yes I have few close to my heart of whom I mentioned, who taught me a lot in life.

I would love to share one of my personal experience of my childhood friend "Kunda" if I found her again.(actually I was in my childhood and she was grown on wheels) 

I hope you have gone through my previous post as well, if not its here for you 🙂   

Once again thanks a ton being with me on this subject matter.

Cheers! 

Vasudeo

Vasudeo
Connect Moderator

Hi @Vasudeo I greatly appreciate your lines. I am very glad that our opinions and thoughts are identical.
LGC gives me like-minded people, they support and help, if necessary they can tell how to do better.

Friend, thanks for the advice!
With lots of greetings,
Jane