EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Recap: Earth Day is Every Day- Elegushi Beach Cleanup

Caption: Blue Ocean, sand and cloud as it drizzled at Elegushi Beach in LagosCaption: Blue Ocean, sand and cloud as it drizzled at Elegushi Beach in Lagos

Earth Day is an annual environmental event to call our attention to the plight of degradation caused by humans majorly. Halocene is the right word attributed to man's impact on the earth.

As part of the global event, we decided to host a Clean-the-World and Earthday is Everyday meetup pioneered by Ermest.

On Friday April 26th, was dedicated to commemorate the Earth Day by environmental groups and green advocates including Local Guides in Lagos. Venue was the popular Kids Beach Garden, Elegushi in Lekki City, Lagos.

It was a convergence of top flight environmentalists, government agencies and volunteers from different parts of the State.

Part of the agenda included a general introduction of individuals and organizations, clean up pattern, competition, recycle methods, sustainability, refreshment, idea exchange/networking and award of certificates.

The elegant Doyinsola, who is  Nigeria's prominent Marine Life Protector Extraordinaire welcomed volunteers at the Kids Beach Garden. She highlighted how the Kids Beach is maintained and open to the public for free but users are invited to donate trees to the beach or volunteer hours to clean the shoreline.

She gave a hint on how they have been able to save several turtles including humpback turtles around the Lagos coastline communities in the last one year.
Doyin also informed us that more sea creatures are dying of plastic wastes which are mixed in their foods. She advocated for the recycling , resuse and reduction of non degradable susbstances especially plastics in our homes.

Caption: Volunteers in groups prepare for picking competitionCaption: Volunteers in groups prepare for picking competition

In line with the waste sorting pattern, the clean up was set as a competition between volunteers divided into groups. All the groups after a signal embarked on picking footwares in a time space of 10mins. Some independent accessors were picked to count the items for each group and give a report. At the end of the count, group three recorded 749 footwears and automatically won the game.

Trash bags used for picking and sorting were different in color. This is to enable recyclers identify and arrange appropriate wastes easily. A special sorting depot is located within the beach which allows various recycling agencies take delivery of wastes.

Bottles, plastics, footwares and other items can been seen heaped in large sacks awaiting the recycling process.

Caption: bottles picked from the shoreline awaiting storage and removal by recyclersCaption: bottles picked from the shoreline awaiting storage and removal by recyclers

It was a short but rigorous excercise. Volunteers proceeded to the canopy for refreshment and interaction with stakeholders. I spoke about Local Guides Programmme and how we are using the Clean The World meet-ups to help protect the earth especially the water bodies. We pledged to help recyclers, environmental NGOs to map their offices and collection points free upon request, as part of Local Guides support for a sustainable environment.Local Guides Vera, Hannah and Emeka display their certificateLocal Guides Vera, Hannah and Emeka display their certificate

Registered volunteers were issued certificates of participation. About 50 persons including men, women, children and families took part in the cleaning activities.

On our way home, just at the end of the street, we had to visit the popular Nike Art Gallery. Fellow Local Guides were visiting for the first time. We were welcomed by the Founder and Curator Chief Mrs. Nike. She commended the effort we put in cleanning the beach as it attracts local and international tourists. One could see some new creative artworks outside and inside the gallery. The atmosphere was inspiring as usual. Someone was inspired to host another meetup here. Looking forward to this.Caption: Local Guides and some volunteers visit Nike Art GalleryCaption: Local Guides and some volunteers visit Nike Art Gallery

Just like every other Local Guide activity, you get to meet LGs attending their first meet-up , induct new ones and experience something unique and motivating. Hannah was attending her first meetup,after she saw the announcement on Connect and decided to show up.

@Vera_chidera @Hannah_Ishola @Olumide1  were on hand to put intending LGs through and help explain the programme too. About seven persons joined the Local Guides Programmme at the meetu

Clean the World - Earth Day meetup was a fantastic experience for us! Always remember the 3Rs- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your waste

@ErmesT  @DavidTito 

P.S
And good enough, I assisted two Local Guides to make their application videos at the  beach

Kids Beach Garden, Oba Elegushi Beach Rd, Lekki, Nigeria
11 comments
Level 7

Re: Recap: Earth Day is Every Day- Elegushi Beach Cleanup

Oh yes, first off, I was among the pair @EmekaUlor helped record her connect video on that very day. It was spontaneous, I got a bit nervous but got hold of it within seconds. Thanks again man. 

And the meet-up was indeed worth it, educative and interactive. I met with people doing amazingly to protect the environment, assisted some to get registered on the Google Guides program. Before that day truthfully, I never knew there was something called "Earth Day" and that as a Local Guide, one can contribute immensely. So I trailed his post and saw Ermest post on challenging Guides to do something green in the month of April to mark Earth Day and make it a habit too. 

That finding motivated me to host a beach cleanup in my community too. 

So yes, thanks Emeka for always being amazing and helping out. 

I must have written an epistle, oh well, the meet-up was a great one summarily. Cheers 

Level 7

Indeed the meet-up was a success, it challenged everyone who attended to do something individually to make their community cleaner. And thank you @Emekaulor for helping me make my connect application video . It was a nice experience.

Connect Moderator

OMG @EmekaUlor 

I was waiting for this post (yes, I've seen a lot of photos on your Insta). C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S  to everyone that was taking part of this great moment of love for our planet.

I am impressed about the organization, Emeka. Really well done, we should all learn from this meet-up. Do you agree @KarenVChin ?

I would love to thank one by one all the LGs, like @Hannah_Ishola and @Vera_chidera , to introduce themselves in Every day is Earth Day - Introduce your Green Local Guide attitude.

Thanks all, I believe @DavidTito will jump of happiness in reading it

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT @I think you have a new Green Advocate in @Vera_chidera She hosted a follow-up beach cleanup and I was amazed at the waves and shoreline. I'll support her to continue with this new passion and World Environment Day. 

Level 8

@EmekaUlor  wow I think between you and @Vera_chidera  you have both ends of the beach covered and you have a crew with you I see another great effort from you and the community, @ErmesT   another impacting story from the other end of the beach in Local Guides Clean The World - The Map  And Certificates as well I see thank you keep the children's part of the beach clean is important this good education for them for years to come.

Level 8

@ErmesT  yes these great stories from @EmekaUlor  and  @Vera_chidera  making the Local Guides Clean The World - The Map every day is EarthDay column looking very well 

Level 7

Thank you sir Ermest, will do my introduction on the forum as soon as possible. 

Level 7

Whoop whoop, thanks for the pledge of support. You always do anyways. 

Level 7

Thank you David. I will do my best to keep the environment clean.