StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photos of Thean Hou Temple - a visit after 30 years

Malaysia, a country where people of many ethnic groups and religions live together in peaceful harmony. Each ethnic group has their special and unique place of culture and worship. I can remember vividly that sometime over 30 years ago, I had visited a great beautiful temple in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, but hadn't taken the time and effort to figure where it was. It was out of mind and out of sight for that many years, well, until recently. A few other fellow Local Guides in Malaysia helped me rekindle that old memories and we located and went to visit the Thean Hou Chinese temple in Kuala Lumpur. It is apparently one of the most beautiful Chinese temples in Kuala Lumpur, and the reason for me to not knowing about the place for over 30 years escapes me. Still, with united knowledge from others, I was back there, reliving my vivid memories.

A few of our many photos of the very beautiful Thean Hou Temple. Google Maps location: https://goo.gl/maps/LKUhG7NfDK52

Photo below: Main entrance to the temple

Photo below: Main entrance with the central incense jar

Photo below: Sea of red lanterns

Photo below: Main deity the Goddess of the sea in the inner sanctuary

Photo below: devotees offering lit candles

Photo below: the ceiling dome of the inner sanctuary

Photo below: decorative roof carvings

Photo below: beautiful sculptured pillars 

Photo below: Long rows of lanterns

Photo below: the outer statue garden

Photo below: incense and joss sticks for purchase

Photo below: fortune sticks where one picks a stick and reads the corresponding fortune

Photo below: beautiful bronze statue of the Buddha

Photo below: Animals of the zodiac in the zodiac garden

Photo below: Opening hours

A must visit place when visiting Kuala Lumpur. Wonder why it had taken me so long to realize this place. Happy I finally got here, with my fellow Malaysia Local Guides.

*all photos are self captured.

Thean Hou Temple, Persiaran Endah, Taman Persiaran Desa, Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
27 comments
Level 9

Re: Photos of Thean Hou Temple - a visit after 30 years

wow beautiful place, I need to visit it too 🙂
Thanks for sharing bro @StephenAbraham 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @StephenAbraham,

This post is a WOW! I cannot actually believe that you got to find out the name of this temple after 30 years. What was the feeling to be there again? Did you have the same feeling as when visiting it the first time or was it somehow different?

To tell you the truth, I also visited Kuala Lumpur last summer and to my regret I didn't quite well plan my visit there. Actually I was alone and had a limited time. There are so many places I would love to visit such as the Batu Caves.

I also have some photos taken from a Chinese temple in the center of Kuala Lumpur, but just as you, I couldn't remember the name of the place. Here is a photo from that place:

Caption: A photo of a traditional Chinese temple located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo of a traditional Chinese temple located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Maybe someone would recognize this temple, hehe. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@TsekoV Wow, amazing that you visited that temple in the middle of town, and hope you get back here so we can go visit more places and eat more and more food. 🙂

The temple you visited is the Guan Di Temple in the center of Kuala Lumpur.

https://goo.gl/maps/C8TFADNKcoL2

We actually had a pre-Chinese New Year meet up 2 months ago where we also explored the same area and that same temple. Read about our meet-up below.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Malaysia-Local-Guides-explore-Chinatown-Kua...

This is the inside of the Guan Di Temple.

Level 9

@StephenAbraham Wow, these photos are so colorful and pleasing to eyes. Thank you for giving me a nice photo tour! 

Connect with me: My blog, YouTubeFacebookInstagram

Level 10

Stunning pictures! What a place to visit!

Connect Moderator

Hello, @StephenAbraham 

What's a beautiful post! I want to visit there now!!!
Thank you for sharing this;-)

Connect Moderator

That is what I miss when I am not in Asia - the sea of bright red and gold - @StephenAbraham in your photos.

This temple is beautiful. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful photos here.

Tagging @FaridTDF. Here is yet another reason to travel to Southeast Asia and visit places like this temple.

Cheers,

Karen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very beautiful @StephenAbraham  

Thank you.

Level 9

Beautiful photos, it looks a nice Temple @StephenAbraham 

Thank you for sharing with us.