CaptainHook's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Peculiar sports

Is there a sport that originated in your country / region? Was it so well designed that it is now played around the globe or was it to weird to spread? In both cases, tell us about it!

Czech republic has produced at least one sport of the second kind: Czech handball. It's so bizzarre hardly anyone plays it. It was designed in 1905 for women with intention to make the normal international handball less prone to injuries. I've only seen one match on TV so far and I can tell you, they failed. In addition to unusualy shaped goals and the fact that defenders can't attack and attackers can't defend (which may make you wait long minutes before you get in action), the attackers only and not the defenders are allowed in the goal area where they can safely move but they are not allowed to shoot. So they are tempted to step outside just with one foot, quickly turn and score - I don't have to explain this generates tremendous opportunities for fauls, falls and twisted ankles... You can find the details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_handball 

My favourite minority sports come from the countries/regions the following guys live in:

@DavidTito

@NiiloA

@LorenzoP

Hopefully they won't disappoint us and they'll add few lines about them. 😉

On top of that, I have a suspicion that those colleagues below will have something to share as well...

@Csaba

@OSAMA

@Jagadeesh_Reddy

Regards

41 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Peculiar sports

Australian Rules Football 🙂 it used to be only played here in Oz but lately its been spreading - the first video below is from the US league but features Australian games - go figure

Info http://www.afl.com.au/

Watch 

and there is the womens version (which is usually rougher and tougher than the mens!

Level 8

@CaptainHook, Of course, I'm the New Zealander but I now live in Australia and I'm more of the Rugby ALLBLACKS fan reason being my uncle use to play the early 80s

@Kamalhasnainee @ShafiulB @NareshDarji @BishowvijayaP

Level 9

Here is an exciting village games of Bangladesh reported on Bangladeshi famous channel - @DavidTito @CaptainHook @PaulPavlinovich

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 8

Britain invented: Football, Rugby, Cricket, Snooker, Baseball, Table Tennis, Bowls, Curling, Squash and probably a few more

Level 8

@Kamalhasnainee lolz I didn't think either one was going to make it..... so funny good on him The prize was worth it

Level 9

@DavidTito those participants was so crazy.

@DavidTito wrote:

@Kamalhasnainee lolz I didn't think either one was going to make it..... so funny good on him The prize was worth it

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 10

We have an ancient game 'Dandi Biyo' with Nepalese origin. Unfortunately it's not be able to become famous. @CaptainHook many thanks to you for providing the platform to expose this game.

Level 8

Hello @PaulPavlinovich

I didn't know you were Australian but I definitelly hoped someone's gonna mention footy! It's my favourite sport. I'm one of two dozens guys playing it here in Czech republic. For obvious reasons, we only play nine a side. And to have a proper match we must organize an international encounter. But as someone said: it's the greatest fun you can have with your clothes on. What I didn't know was what you said about the female league...

Thanks alot for posting the vids!

Level 8

It looks like great fun, @Kamalhasnainee.

The best tactic seems to be to wait until the trunk dries out 😄

Thanks for posting.