Flozy's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Our culture, Our Heritage

Hello everyone, I am Flozy. I am a proud African girl child too, a Nigerian. In the part of Nigerian where I come from, we have so many culture that really thrills me. Most of them are beautiful while some are also of great sentiment to the people. Just like in Igbo land, we do what is called Iri Ji ofuu, that is new yam festival. This helps and support many people as prizes are also worn and scholarships are given. Let me explain how.

When raining season comes, a lot of people mostly farmers start planting their crops. The normal planting process of crops is ensured.  At this time, one will hardly see yam in he market for consumption. This period is mostly July and August. The new yam will also be prohibited from being sold in the market till the new yam festival is over,  In the month of September, the Igwe of the town will call for merriment of festival to celebrate the new yam that was planted in the raining season. During the event, farmers harvest their yams and bring to the Igwe's palace for examination. There will be dance displays to spice up the event.Yam for the festivalYam for the festivalThe Igwe cutting the new yamThe Igwe cutting the new yam

All the food to be eaten that particular day will be fro m yam, such food includes, yam porridge, pounded yam, fried yam, roasted yam and a lot more. The winner) is determined by the weight of his yam and size also. The winner goes home with a lot of gift items such as hoes, tricycle, fertilizer and more portion of land to cultivate. This measure helps my people to go back to agriculture and embrace productivity.     

Subsequently I will be introducing my cultural heritage here. Hope you found this interesting? Please do share yours.   

Awka, Nigeria
38 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: Our culture, Our Heritage

Hi @Julien44, good to see you again. 

Let me help you with the questions... 

Yam has no distinctive taste, it's a special kind of food. In Nigeria, it's believed that yam from North are the sweetest, what makes a yam sweet to us is how we enjoyed it, when yam looks white, easy to peel and doesn't taste bitter(some yam taste bitter actually  we say it's sweet. 

New yam comes out during yam festival, although we are eager to taste the new yam but we don't call them sweet yam because we prefer our yam a little dry and at new yam festival these yam are still very wet.

Also,  some tribes believe when you eat a lot of yam, you will have tendencies of giving birth to twins, it is also recorded that some researchers found out that those who eat a lot of yam has tendencies of growing fatter... 

You can also google yam online.... 

A-Beta

View solution in original post

Level 10

Thank you for sharing @Flozy

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 9

I honestly find it very interesting. back then in my town in the 90s, the new yam festival is not a small celebration. the night before the festival, we keep vigil, early morning, the local gun is been shot to announce the beginning of the festival, there is also masquerade dance troupe and several other dance group who would play their music and instruments and dance in turns. 

thank you for sharing @Flozy

A-Beta
Connect Moderator

Though I'm from north but I travel a lot of southern part of Nigeria..

I love this festival and I attended many in the past. It is always amazing...

Thanks for sharing with us @Flozy

Looking forward to see more of your culture here...

Where are you @Julien44 @BishowvijayaP @ValeriaA_ @OSAMA @ErmesT @KarenVChin

This is another interesting culture from my Igbo brothers...

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 9

interesting post @Flozy , i am googling yam festival now :)))

many thanks for sharing 🙂

thank you @Sagir :)))

Level 10

Wonderful. Thanks for re sharing @Flozy Nice country
Level 10

Hi @Flozy,

Thanks a lot for sharing your culture.

It is the first time I ear about the Yam. Does taste like potatos? Do you eat yam often? How many times a week?

Hi @Sagir,

You are always introducing me to interesting posts! Thanks for tagging me. 

Hi guys @Anonymous, @AkmalB, @Anonymous, @FazeelUsmani

Do you eat Yam in your country?

See you around

Jul

Level 10

Nice post @Flozy. Interesting Yam competition and after that dance festival it's amazing you know. Now, I'm start searching Yam in my city. Hope I find.

Thanks @Flozy for sharing 

Thanks @Julien44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Flozy, I found this very interesting!

Never heard about yam before, but reading about it, makes me fill really curious about your country. ☺️

@Julien44 this is completely new information for me. Yam seems so unique, it is unbelievable, we don't have that in Serbia, but we do have unique fruit that only grows here and nowhere else in the world, it is called "Šljiva" (Common plum) and is delicious and we do have many festivals with plums.

Here is visualization:Šljiva in SerbiaŠljiva in Serbia

Julien, do u have some unique fruit that only grows in France? 🍒🍆🍇🍍

Level 8

Hi @Flozy

Thank you for sharing your culture and heritage with us.

I would like to share a photo from the Maldives where a woman working at a yam field.

large_1441817738456yiR

Hope you'll like it.

Cheers