DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet а Meet-up Champion: Kashif Misidia

Caption: A photo of Kashif wearing a Local Guides t-shirt and an illustration with the words ‘Kashif Misidia’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.Caption: A photo of Kashif wearing a Local Guides t-shirt and an illustration with the words ‘Kashif Misidia’ inside a green frame with a camera, speech bubbles, a pin, a map, and a person.

Every July, our amazing community turns Connect’s birthday into a month-long celebration. @KashifMisidia's worldwide birthday meet-ups initiative is one of the main reasons for that. Today, we’re happy to introduce Kashif as our newest Meet-up Champion! 

Kashif is a Connect Moderator and two-time Guiding Star from Karachi, Pakistan. He has hosted over 70 meet-ups since his first event in 2018 (read on to see how that went!) and attended more than 100 meet-ups by fellow Local Guides. Kashif says that, for him, meet-ups are all about learning, friendship, understanding others, and building a strong community. Even after organizing so many events, he still finds value and something to learn every time.

Find out more about Kashif’s meet-up experience below.

Caption: A photo of Kashif and fellow Local Guides from Pakistan holding the national flag on a beach, with a “Local Guides Clean the World” banner behind them. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A photo of Kashif and fellow Local Guides from Pakistan holding the national flag on a beach, with a “Local Guides Clean the World” banner behind them. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

What was your first experience with meet-ups? 

In May 2018, I organized my first meet-up after having been a Local Guide for a year. It was a food crawl, and I wasn't sure how to go about it, but I found some helpful posts on Connect, which gave me the confidence to give it a try. 

Still, I felt a bit scared and nervous, wondering how to start the meet-up, where it should end, and which photos were important to take. At that time, I wasn't even a skilled photographer, but I learned about photography thanks to Connect.

When the day of the meet-up arrived, I expected many Local Guides to join me, but it turned out to be a solo event. I didn't let that discourage me. I started the food crawl from one end of the Hussainabad Food Street and went all the way to the other while taking lots of photos. 

I shared some of my photos in a recap post, but @ErmesT taught me about the photo limit on Connect and suggested sharing a Google Photos album or creating photo collages instead. That was the best thing I learned from my first meet-up.

Caption: A photo of Kashif sharing his knowledge about helpful contributions on Google Maps during a meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A photo of Kashif sharing his knowledge about helpful contributions on Google Maps during a meet-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

Do you have a favorite meet-up theme?

My favorite theme is knowledge sharing. I've organized many meet-ups, both in-person and online, where we talked about why it's important to support small businesses and our country's tourism on Google Maps and how to add new information. We also emphasized the significance of sharing accessibility details through photos and reviews.

I strongly believe that sharing this knowledge with more people can have a bigger impact on our community compared to just me contributing alone to earn points on Google Maps.

Caption: A GIF that says “Happy 7th Birthday Local Guides Connect” with balloons and confetti. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A GIF that says “Happy 7th Birthday Local Guides Connect” with balloons and confetti. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

How did you come up with the idea for the worldwide Connect birthday celebration meet-ups?

On Connect's 3rd Birthday in 2019, I thought that whenever we celebrate an event, like a birthday of a family member, a wedding, or someone's success, we usually do it by gathering together to share our happiness. So why not do something special on this occasion by meeting Local Guides from all around the world and celebrating together? 

My idea for Connect's birthday meet-ups wasn’t only to celebrate but also to have a purpose. For example, guiding people with disabilities through photos and reviews on Google Maps, editing information to support small businesses, adding small shops in our areas, participating in beach clean-ups, and other meaningful activities.

I discussed this idea with @OmerAli, who loved it and provided significant help. I also got a great response from the Local Guides to the first unofficial anniversary celebrations in 2019.

This July was the fifth time I organized the birthday meet-ups campaign, and I had four fantastic co-hosts who are also my great friends: @Tushar_Suradkar, @JaneBurunina, @NareshDarji, and @SholaIB.

Caption: A collage of screenshots showing some of the participants to Kashif and Jane’s second Virtual Accessibility Meet-up, with the One Accessibility logo in the middle. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A collage of screenshots showing some of the participants to Kashif and Jane’s second Virtual Accessibility Meet-up, with the One Accessibility logo in the middle. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

Do you have a favorite meet-up you’ve hosted and/or attended?

My favorite meet-up was not just a single event, but an entire series that I co-hosted with @JaneBurunina. We named it “Virtual Accessibility Meet-ups.” 

When we started, we never imagined it would turn into such a comprehensive and impactful initiative. We connected with Local Guides from different countries and we called these meet-ups Accessible Sri Lanka, Accessible India, Accessible Pakistan, Accessible Bangladesh, Accessible Brazil, and Accessible Latin America. We discussed accessibility contributions on Google Maps and learned a lot from each other.

One of the special features of these meet-ups was our tagline, “Add 2 more lines regarding accessibility to your reviews along with 2 more photos,” which proved to be incredibly effective.

Until this day, Jane and I are proud that these meet-ups not only helped us make countless friends but also turned many attendees into Accessibility Champions. I can't express the joy we feel whenever that happens.

Caption: A selfie of @IlankovanT, Kashif — who’s holding the Pakistani flag — and other Local Guides from Pakistan and Sri Lanka during an accessibility meet-up in Sri Lanka. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A selfie of @IlankovanT, Kashif — who’s holding the Pakistani flag — and other Local Guides from Pakistan and Sri Lanka during an accessibility meet-up in Sri Lanka. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

My favorite meet-up that I attended was “Sri Lanka Accessibility Walk - March 2019” by @IlankovanT. It was the first and so far the only time I met Local Guides from a different country, but my favorite part was the unforgettable experience I had with @IlankovanT. I learned things that have been beneficial to me ever since, especially regarding accessibility contributions.

During that event, I received so much love and met a friend I had never met before, the late Mr. Tarala. He brought me a gift of two boxes of cashew nuts, which was so touching. Sadly, Mr.Tarala is no longer with us, but that meet-up remains a cherished memory for me.

What are the three most important things you’ve learned from organizing meet-ups?

These are:

• Organization and planning: Organizing meet-ups teaches me the importance of being well-organized and planning ahead. It involves selecting the right venue, deciding on activities, coordinating schedules, and ensuring smooth logistics.
  • Effective communication: Communication is crucial when arranging a meet-up. You need to communicate with attendees, provide clear instructions, and keep everyone informed about any changes or updates.
  • Community building and leadership skills: Hosting meet-ups provides me with the chance to build and strengthen the Local Guides communities all over the world and especially in Pakistan. The best thing is that meet-ups brought out my leadership skills, which I never realized I had before. Thanks to the Local Guides program, I learned how to lead not only during meet-ups but also in real life.

Caption: A selfie of Kashif and other Pakistani Local Guides during a meet-up, with a laptop on the table showing more participants tuning in virtually. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A selfie of Kashif and other Pakistani Local Guides during a meet-up, with a laptop on the table showing more participants tuning in virtually. (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

What one piece of advice would you give to someone who’s about to host their first meet-up?

The first thing you should keep in mind is that not only will you be sharing your experiences with others, but you will also learn a lot from them. Whether people come to your first meet-up or not, do not be disheartened. This will be the first step towards your success, so celebrate it as best as you can. Most importantly, focus on your perseverance. If you continue with determination, people will eventually join you, and then it will become a community.

Anything else you’d like to share?

I'm a fun-loving person, so if you are meeting with me, prepare for a lot of laughs, and if there’s a suitable place, prepare for a dancing and singing competition with me. 😉

Besides all the fun, I have always tried to provide people with the best guidance within my capacity and skills, regardless of any cultural, religious, or ethnic differences. This is what I have learned from Connect. I have always tried to share what I have learned through meet-ups, TV shows, and documentary videos so that I can spread the wonderful message of the Local Guides program to as many people as possible.

Caption: A screenshot of a BBC News Urdu documentary featuring Kashif and other Local Guides from Pakistan, with a text in Urdu that translates to, “Pakistani photographers uploading photos to Google Maps.” (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)Caption: A screenshot of a BBC News Urdu documentary featuring Kashif and other Local Guides from Pakistan, with a text in Urdu that translates to, “Pakistani photographers uploading photos to Google Maps.” (Courtesy of Local Guide @KashifMisidia)

Have you attended any of Kashif’s meet-ups? Do you have a question for him? Tell us in the comments below.

Want to see who else is a Meet-up Champion? Read our previous post here.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Karachi, Pakistan
110 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet а Meet-up Champion: Kashif Misidia

Thank you very much, @DeniGu !

I feel really special because I was featured today. I've had the chance to meet hundreds of Local Guides during these meetups, and every time, I learned something new from them. These meet-ups have been great learning experiences for me. I truly enjoy being a Local Guide, and I absolutely love attending meet-ups! I will always be grateful to the whole community!

😍

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Yoohooo @DeniGu 

Thank you for this great and big news. Another exceptional local guides connect moderator guiding star etc. We like it when efforts are highlighted and appreciated this way.

Congratulations @KashifMisidia you certainly should get this for the amount of times you have organised birthday meet-up for connect internationally. An honour  well deserved. This is paying off now for you,am excited too. Pakistan is quite lucky to have you for a leader on their team. 

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

Congratulations, @KashifMisidia , you really deserve it.

If there is a true motivator about meet-ups this is you, sometime also with your partner in crime @JaneBurunina .

For me and @KarenVChin it was amazing to have both of you in our meet-up about friendship.

Thanks a lot for your tireless efforts to keep the community together.

Hugs from the north of Italy

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Congratulations, @KashifMisidia 

The master of meet-ups and Local Guides TV appearances. Much deserved. 

Cheers

Morten

Level 8

Congratulations @KashifMisidia 🎉🥳 You deserve this bro 

Level 9

Congrats baiyya @KashifMisidia  well deserved. It's so happy to see local guides like you are being appreciated for all the hardwork. And I clearly know you enjoy every bit of it too.

Thank you @DeniGu for the post

Level 10

Kashif Misidia's @KashifMisidia dedication to organizing meet-ups and building a strong Local Guides community is truly inspiring! His passion for knowledge sharing and commitment to making a positive impact on Google Maps are evident in the variety of meet-ups he has hosted, both in-person and virtually. It's admirable how he turned Connect's birthday into a meaningful celebration, not only by gathering Local Guides worldwide but also by engaging in purposeful activities like accessibility contributions and beach clean-ups. Kashif's leadership skills and genuine enthusiasm for connecting with people shine through in every event he organizes. Kudos to him for fostering friendship, learning, and laughter within the Local Guides community! 🌟 #MeetUpChampion #CommunityBuilder #InspiringLeadership

Level 8

Wow that's amazing post @DeniGu

And I echo the same because @KashifMisidia bhai is truly a Google Local Guides champion the way he keep whole community engaged here in Pakistan. We are proud of him and wish his contributions and efforts don't remain unnoticed by Google, just because he's volunteering it. 😊

Level 8

@KashifMisidia Bhai you always made us proud. God bless you more and more