MapWrangler's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Limit on number of private messages

Hi,
As the Feedback and Feature Requests is now read-only there's no option to reply to the "Limit on number of private messages"  post -- which if you think about it is the ultimate way to limit messages ; )  It's also a great way to devalue the forum by loading in duplicate content that exists elsewhere in the forum.  As an aside, there were probably a half-dozen "subjects" prompted by the forum software as I started this message -- all to posts which are now read-only.  This is not, IMNHO, a user-friendly experience -- especially for newer local guides attempting to post.

In any event, please read the captioned post -- I just received the same error message mentioned in that 3-page post, as I was attempting to send my second message over a two-day period of time.

"You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later."

Please advise.

Thank you.

15 comments
Level 10

Re: Limit on number of private messages

@MapWrangler From the previous post link that you shared, it was stated that there's a limit of 30 second per message, not sure if that has been changed, and also apparently there were some errors when a message contains an email address with "@" inside, again, I'm not sure if that's fixed or changed.

Can you try to send me a private message, one maybe with just some hello, testing text and another separate message with a random email address with "@" inside, just to re-verify.

One message a day should not hit a limit.

Just tagging @GeorgesHR for follow up.

Connect Moderator

I've never experienced it @MapWrangler but I did find on the Lithium forum that they suggest logging out of Connect. Clearing cookies and cache then logging back in. It would be good to know if that helps.

I did find a post that the count of private messages includes:

• Actual private messages
  • Notifications caused by replying to a post which itself has lots of tags
  • Adding a lot of @ tags

Regards Paul

Level 10

@StephenAbraham,

Thank you for your reply.

As an update, after I posted the message on this board I was able (last night) to send the message that earlier generated the "limit" error message.

"it was stated that there's a limit of 30 second per message, not sure if that has been changed"

I'm 80% sure I did receive the spurious "your message contained invalid HTML which has been removed -- check highlighted areas, etc." error message after trying to send the private message.  I frequently receive such error messages when posting in the forum.  So, in the case of the private message, I would have immediately pressed the "Send" button again -- which likely would have been within the 30-second "limit".  That said, I did leave the unsent private message open while I searched for the error message ... and tried later to send it again, which would have been well beyond the 30-seconds and I received the same error message, at which point I posted on this board.

"and also apparently there were some errors when a message contains an email address with "@" inside, again, I'm not sure if that's fixed or changed."

The private message I attempted to send did not contain any @ glyphs.

"Can you try to send me a private message, one maybe with just some hello, testing text and another separate message with a random email address with "@" inside, just to re-verify.

"One message a day should not hit a limit."

I will send those two messages now.  If you only receive one, well ...   ; )

Thank you.

PS:  When attempting to send the 2d test message with an email address in it as well as another @ glyph, the email address was stripped out, but the other use of the @ glyph was not stripped out.

Level 10

Level 10

@MapWrangler any pattern we can deduce from this test? Was your problematic message you tried to send yesterday only text?

From the previous post, there seem to be a setting on the receiver side to block messages from a sender, not sure if that's related to this case.

Level 10

Thanks, @PaulPavlinovich for that information from the Lithium forum.

"I did find a post that the count of private messages includes:

• Actual private messages
  • Notifications caused by replying to a post which itself has lots of tags
  • Adding a lot of @ tags"

Not including the two test messages in my earlier post to @StephenAbraham, the total number of private messages I've sent in the past two years is four.  That includes the message sent yesterday (12-22-18) and the message the day before (12-21-18).  None of those included any @ glyphs, nor did the original message I was replying to.

"they suggest logging out of Connect. Clearing cookies and cache then logging back in. It would be good to know if that helps."

As for clearing cookies and cache ... while clearing cache can be harmless (and helpful) I find the instruction to "clear cookies" as it is usually/often given can be a disservice to the user.  Rather an instruction to clear the specific cookie might be helpful  ; )  -- I have cookies that assist me when I log into specific sites ; )  As for Connect, I find that even my language preferences aren't saved from session to session, so it makes me wonder what information Connect cookies are saving.

Level 10

@StephenAbraham,

any pattern we can deduce from this test?

What I see is from the two test messages is that email messages are blocked within private messages.  Other @ glyphs don't seem to be an issue.  None of these observations apply to the problematic message I tried to send yesterday.

Was your problematic message you tried to send yesterday only text?

Yes.

"From the previous post, there seem to be a setting on the receiver side to block messages from a sender, not sure if that's related to this case."

What setting is that? ... I don't know what you are referring to.

Thank you.

Level 10

@MapWrangler Sorry, I might have been mistaken after trying to read many posts. I was thinking if there's a possibility the recipient had turn off private messaging as in this post. (although I think highly unlikely)

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-do-I-block-private-messages/m-p/126843

Anyways, earlier we had tagged a Google moderator, if you can share any other information that can help, when timezone is correct on Monday, hopefully someone can help. We try also to understand it's Christmas week, so I suspect responses will be delayed.

Connect Moderator

@MapWrangler if you have the capabilities to remove cookies generated by a specific site (or even detect them) you could try that. I have no idea how you might do that though. It is possible the advice is generic help desk advice. Its the one you get right after have you turned it off and on again ;).

I was speaking with another user that seems to have hit limitations of private messages as well.

Apart from you two I've never noticed anyone talking about it. If we can find a way to reliably reproduce it that would be good because we can give the steps to the Googlers than manage the platform for them to address via Lithium.